Infinity Beach by Jack McDevitt

Infinity Beach

by Jack McDevitt

English (10)  Dutch (1)  All languages (11)
This novel felt so much like one of McDevitt's Alex Benedict stories that at times I was convinced he had written a Benedict series novel recycling the same plot, but apparently I read this once before and filed it in my head as a Benedict novel. A good mystery and a haunting first contact story. ( )
  nmele | Jul 10, 2014 |
Not his best book, not that believable ( )
  Guide2 | Oct 3, 2011 |
Another of McDevitt's televisual novels with his well-drawn worlds. This novel is a mixture of sf, horror, murder mystery and political thriller. I visualised the heroine with an Eighties hairdo and shoulder pads, and in numerous other places I felt my mind's eye was watching a tv mini-series. I swear I could even hear the sound fx.

But the story was engaging, and the far-future technology, both human and alien, was well-realised and sufficiently different from the norm to hold my interest. ( )
  RobertDay | Nov 24, 2009 |
ZB5
  mcolpitts | Aug 1, 2009 |
This is a science fiction book that occasionally reads like a horror and occasionally reads as mystery. While I enjoyed the protagonist’s search for the truth and for information about other intelligent life in the universe, the book as a whole didn't leave me with strong impressions. ( )
  jprutter | May 6, 2008 |

John Goff,
Jack Kraus,
Ron Peiffer, and
George Tindle

They haven't quite worked out the secret of Life, but they know it has something to do with lunch.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061020052, Mass Market Paperback)

What happens when first contact goes horribly wrong? When that initial meeting between two sentient species leads to utter confusion and misunderstanding, murder and hijacking, and a tight-lipped coverup for years afterward? Jack McDevitt sets this situation up in Infinity Beach, describing humanity at the end of the third millennium as a solitary race, seemingly alone in the cosmos even after colonizing many worlds beyond Earth: "The universe has come to resemble a magnificent but sterile wilderness, an ocean which boasts no friendly coast, no sails, no sign that any have passed this way before." But a ship in search of life returned years earlier under suspicious circumstances, with two crew members missing, one presumed dead in an unexplained explosion, and the fourth retired into silence. Tales of apparitions, strange lights, and voices near the explosion site persist. No one's talking, but the scientist sister (and clone) of one of the missing shipmates starts asking questions and finds herself at the heart of a complex and frightening puzzle.

McDevitt, an accomplished storyteller and perennial Nebula runner-up, proves to have an excellent ear for such drama, telling a solid story that exudes mood and atmosphere while still staying tense enough to keep those pages turning. By turns a murder mystery, ghost story, and solid sci-fi thriller, Infinity Beach takes one of the genre's more prosaic schticks--first contact--and gives it a twist with style and skill: when you do make contact, what you find might scare you. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:11 -0400)

With nine other solar systems colonized, humans have not yet discovered other intelligent life forms, but when Dr. Kimberly Brandywine investigates the death of her sister in the cold space between stars, she uncovers what may be evidence of another species… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,262,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible