Infinity Beach by Jack McDevitt

Infinity Beach

by Jack McDevitt

English (9)  Dutch (1)  All languages (10)
What would it be like if man made contact with an alien species?

What if misunderstandings occurred and things went wrong?

How could the damage be repaired or could it be repaired?

This is not an easy book to read. In my opinion, the bad ratings here are given by readers that never finished the book. Jack McDevitt labourously develops his space world. The book is sort of a SciFi mystery but McDevitt does not develop the mystery aspect of the novel very well. The mystery is there alright, unknown explosion wipes out a community, disappearance and deaths of crew members of a space ship whose goal is to search for life in the universe. But there is no tension or clues that grab the imagination of the reader for almost the first 200 pages of the 500+ page book. If McDevitt was a new author for me I would have probably set this book aside after a normal 100 pages.

But the book picks up in interest after 200 pages and by 300 pages NOW it becomes a page-turner and ends with the reader wanting more.

This IS a well written book, though it does drag for almost half the book and requires patience to read it to a satisfying end. ( )
  Lynxear | May 20, 2016 |
This novel felt so much like one of McDevitt's Alex Benedict stories that at times I was convinced he had written a Benedict series novel recycling the same plot, but apparently I read this once before and filed it in my head as a Benedict novel. A good mystery and a haunting first contact story. ( )
  nmele | Jul 10, 2014 |
Not his best book, not that believable ( )
  Guide2 | Oct 3, 2011 |
Another of McDevitt's televisual novels with his well-drawn worlds. This novel is a mixture of sf, horror, murder mystery and political thriller. I visualised the heroine with an Eighties hairdo and shoulder pads, and in numerous other places I felt my mind's eye was watching a tv mini-series. I swear I could even hear the sound fx.

But the story was engaging, and the far-future technology, both human and alien, was well-realised and sufficiently different from the norm to hold my interest. ( )
  RobertDay | Nov 24, 2009 |

John Goff,
Jack Kraus,
Ron Peiffer, and
George Tindle

They haven't quite worked out the secret of Life, but they know it has something to do with lunch.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061020052, Mass Market Paperback)

What happens when first contact goes horribly wrong? When that initial meeting between two sentient species leads to utter confusion and misunderstanding, murder and hijacking, and a tight-lipped coverup for years afterward? Jack McDevitt sets this situation up in Infinity Beach, describing humanity at the end of the third millennium as a solitary race, seemingly alone in the cosmos even after colonizing many worlds beyond Earth: "The universe has come to resemble a magnificent but sterile wilderness, an ocean which boasts no friendly coast, no sails, no sign that any have passed this way before." But a ship in search of life returned years earlier under suspicious circumstances, with two crew members missing, one presumed dead in an unexplained explosion, and the fourth retired into silence. Tales of apparitions, strange lights, and voices near the explosion site persist. No one's talking, but the scientist sister (and clone) of one of the missing shipmates starts asking questions and finds herself at the heart of a complex and frightening puzzle.

McDevitt, an accomplished storyteller and perennial Nebula runner-up, proves to have an excellent ear for such drama, telling a solid story that exudes mood and atmosphere while still staying tense enough to keep those pages turning. By turns a murder mystery, ghost story, and solid sci-fi thriller, Infinity Beach takes one of the genre's more prosaic schticks--first contact--and gives it a twist with style and skill: when you do make contact, what you find might scare you. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:42 -0400)

With nine other solar systems colonized, humans have not yet discovered other intelligent life forms, but when Dr. Kimberly Brandywine investigates the death of her sister in the cold space between stars, she uncovers what may be evidence of another species… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,793,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible