Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz

1222098,704 (3.94)2
Authors:Hannah Moskowitz
Info:Simon Pulse (2013), Hardcover, 288 pages

Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz

I think this is my favorite Moskowitz book yet - surprisingly! I usually don’t like stories with magical or unrealistic elements, but this book totally owns it and made me believe it. Rudy and his family move to a remote island to try and heal his five-year-old brother, who has cystic fibrosis. The fish that swim around the island are apparently magic, healing anything that ails the people who eat them. That means people never leave the island - they’re too scared to go back to being sick if they stop eating the fish. Since he’s the only teen on the island, Rudy misses his friends and typical teenage lifestyle, but he forgets all of that when he sees a fishboy in the water. After a few sightings, he starts talking to the fishboy and wants to learn his story, but he isn’t expecting how strong their bond can really grow to be. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
This may be one of the weirdest books I've read in a while. Surprisingly graphic and profane for the YA I'm used to, which didn't bother me too much. There was a certain odd sweetness that softened it a little bit.
I can't say I would recommend it necessarily, but I wouldn't recommend against it either. ( )
  DanielleMD | Jun 20, 2015 |
Some elegant writing here but this surreal fable is not my sort of thing. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
This was a fascinating magical fish story, in which Rudy moves to an island in order to try to save his younger brother's life. The island is empty of teenagers his own age, as everyone there is seeking the same magic cure that his family is. It leaves him lonely and wandering, and his wandering leads him to discover a fish boy named Teeth. (So refreshing to have a merman story!) He is drawn into a friendship with Teeth, which could endanger his brother's life.

This book does an excellent job mixing the modern world with a true fair tale feel. It also handles Rudy's emotions well, showing how he at once longs for his old life and his boredom and at the same time his deep, deep love for his brother. He's a brilliantly crafted character.

The book delves into some dark territories, but evades easy answers or solutions. The ending leaft me feeling a little heartbroken. I will definitely be picking up more books by this author. ( )
  andreablythe | Sep 3, 2014 |
I really don't know what to say about this novel. It is extraordinarily unusual: equal parts disturbing and oddly heart warming. It took me quite some time to warm up to Rudy (our main character), but I did find his interactions and relationships with the other characters intriguing.
There is quite a bit of violence and swearing in this book and I would also like to add a trigger warning for several instances of rape. Please tread carefully. Although this is not a book I would recommend for younger teens, Teeth is a raw, intense read that will stay with you for days... ( )
  clear_tranquil | May 27, 2014 |

"Rudy's life is flipped upside-down when his family moves to a remote, magical island in a last attempt to save his sick younger brother, Dylan. While Dylan recovers, Rudy sinks deeper and deeper into his loneliness"--

Hannah Moskowitz is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,893,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible