Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz

Authors:Hannah Moskowitz
Info:Simon Pulse (2013), Hardcover, 288 pages
Rating:*****

Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz

This may be one of the weirdest books I've read in a while. Surprisingly graphic and profane for the YA I'm used to, which didn't bother me too much. There was a certain odd sweetness that softened it a little bit.
I can't say I would recommend it necessarily, but I wouldn't recommend against it either. ( )
  DanielleMD | Jun 20, 2015 |
Some elegant writing here but this surreal fable is not my sort of thing. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
This was a fascinating magical fish story, in which Rudy moves to an island in order to try to save his younger brother's life. The island is empty of teenagers his own age, as everyone there is seeking the same magic cure that his family is. It leaves him lonely and wandering, and his wandering leads him to discover a fish boy named Teeth. (So refreshing to have a merman story!) He is drawn into a friendship with Teeth, which could endanger his brother's life.

This book does an excellent job mixing the modern world with a true fair tale feel. It also handles Rudy's emotions well, showing how he at once longs for his old life and his boredom and at the same time his deep, deep love for his brother. He's a brilliantly crafted character.

The book delves into some dark territories, but evades easy answers or solutions. The ending leaft me feeling a little heartbroken. I will definitely be picking up more books by this author. ( )
  andreablythe | Sep 3, 2014 |
I really don't know what to say about this novel. It is extraordinarily unusual: equal parts disturbing and oddly heart warming. It took me quite some time to warm up to Rudy (our main character), but I did find his interactions and relationships with the other characters intriguing.
There is quite a bit of violence and swearing in this book and I would also like to add a trigger warning for several instances of rape. Please tread carefully. Although this is not a book I would recommend for younger teens, Teeth is a raw, intense read that will stay with you for days... ( )
  clear_tranquil | May 27, 2014 |
Rudy hates that his family has to (temporarily?) move to a remote island to try to save his younger brother's life. This island is surrounded by legends of "magical" fish with healing properties, and is inhabited mostly by people with terminal illnesses. And the fish really DO work.

But the legends of a ghost seem to be the only thing to rouse Rudy out of his loneliness as he starts to unfold the secrets and scandals this island and its inhabitants are trying to hide, including the merman he meets in the ocean whose own story is important to everyone on the island. ( )
  RussianLoveMachine | Apr 12, 2014 |

"Rudy's life is flipped upside-down when his family moves to a remote, magical island in a last attempt to save his sick younger brother, Dylan. While Dylan recovers, Rudy sinks deeper and deeper into his loneliness"--

Hannah Moskowitz is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,945,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible