Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz

Authors:Hannah Moskowitz
Info:Simon Pulse (2013), Hardcover, 288 pages
Rating:*****

Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz

I read it so fast I literally could not put it down, even thought it isn't action-packed or anything but the writing style was so exquisite, unlike anything I have ever read and the main character was so much like a regular teenage boy and it is paranormal and so it should have felt strange and unreal but it didn't. Rudy was authentic and a great narrator, I enjoyed reading from his perspective. And Teeth... I do not have words for him. He was so precious and loveable and in a way he felt even more real than Rudy?? even though he was half fish for god's sake I grew so attached to him I can't even explaing it. And then there is the ending which, for me, was completely unexpected and so heartbreaking it left me with a feeling of emptiness.
This book is so complex I don't even know why I'm trying to write a review about it when I obviously cannot do it justice. Okay there were some explanations which did not really make sense but I am willing to overlook them just because the entire book was incredible and I love it very very much.

Update 5/25/2015
I have read it three times so far and I still can't stop thinking about it. I don't even know what makes it affect me so much. ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
This is a strange creepy book full of anger and complex feelings that are shown rather than told, and that I can't quite articulate. It is the story of Rudy, whose little brother Dylan is seriously ill, but the quest for a cure has taken them to a distant island where the fish can make people well. It is the story of Teeth, half fish, half human, who hates the culling of the fish he sees as his brothers.

There's a lot here. Rudy and Teeth's relationship, Rudy and Diana's strange romance of convenience, the question of just how sentient the fish are, with the moral implications of the behaviour of everyone on the island (and of the fish), the cruelty of the fishermen, the painful scraps left over from Teeth's childhood with his mother, and the feelings of being discarded and replaced, the way the fish are both the cure and the trap... strange strange book, that snags things deep in your mind and leaves you disturbed and uncomfortable afterwards...

The final scene with Teeth and Rudy, where the solution is to tell Teeth this isn't his problem, he's not obliged to fix this shit, he can run away for his own sake, is... not a message you find often in fiction. ( )
1 vote atreic | Dec 11, 2016 |
3.5 stars ( )
  CrystalDawn1217 | Sep 19, 2016 |
An odd amalgamation of love story, fantasy/sci-fi and typical YA problem novel. The young male protagonist, Rudy, finds himself on an isolated island with his family due to his little brother's life-threatening multiple sclerosis because of what the family and other inhabitants of the island believe is the health-restoring properties of the magical fish found there.

Rudy grapples with guilt, discovering what love means, and other coming of age issues in the midst of several serious moral conundrums. ( )
  bufsemlibrary | Apr 6, 2016 |
Rudy hates that his family has to (temporarily?) move to a remote island to try to save his younger brother's life. This island is surrounded by legends of "magical" fish with healing properties, and is inhabited mostly by people with terminal illnesses. And the fish really DO work.

But the legends of a ghost seem to be the only thing to rouse Rudy out of his loneliness as he starts to unfold the secrets and scandals this island and its inhabitants are trying to hide, including the merman he meets in the ocean whose own story is important to everyone on the island. ( )
  mpelleg | Feb 15, 2016 |

"Rudy's life is flipped upside-down when his family moves to a remote, magical island in a last attempt to save his sick younger brother, Dylan. While Dylan recovers, Rudy sinks deeper and deeper into his loneliness"--

Hannah Moskowitz is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,148,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible