Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz

Authors:Hannah Moskowitz
Info:Simon Pulse (2013), Hardcover, 288 pages
Rating:*****

Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz

I really don't know what to say about this novel. It is extraordinarily unusual: equal parts disturbing and oddly heart warming. It took me quite some time to warm up to Rudy (our main character), but I did find his interactions and relationships with the other characters intriguing.
There is quite a bit of violence and swearing in this book and I would also like to add a trigger warning for several instances of rape. Please tread carefully. Although this is not a book I would recommend for younger teens, Teeth is a raw, intense read that will stay with you for days... ( )
  clear_tranquil | May 27, 2014 |
Rudy hates that his family has to (temporarily?) move to a remote island to try to save his younger brother's life. This island is surrounded by legends of "magical" fish with healing properties, and is inhabited mostly by people with terminal illnesses. And the fish really DO work.

But the legends of a ghost seem to be the only thing to rouse Rudy out of his loneliness as he starts to unfold the secrets and scandals this island and its inhabitants are trying to hide, including the merman he meets in the ocean whose own story is important to everyone on the island. ( )
  RussianLoveMachine | Apr 12, 2014 |
Another chest-puncher. Also another that you just can't stop reading until it's done, and then you go, "Why did I have to read this so fast?" And you turn the book over and over, hoping maybe you missed something, but you know you didn't.

There were times when the dialog felt a little generic to me, but these moments were brief. I loved the pacing, Teeth's manner of speaking, and some of those Rudy internal dialogs were insanely intense--I couldn't look away for a second.

Definitely, a must read. ( )
  AddisonLane | Oct 26, 2013 |
I have been wanting to read this book a long time. I am not sure why except that the synopsis sounded completely intriguing to me. It ended up being a very interesting, introspective, raw and disturbing read.

Rudy is forced to move out to a desolate island with his family. Out at this island there is a type of fish that seems to be helping his young brother (who has cystic fibrosis) get better. While out there he meets a strange fish boy, and finds out that the miracle fish have a steep cost.

This was very well written and very atmospheric. The descriptions are both beautiful and horrible. The writing is a bit raw at times, there is a lot of swearing, and some gruesome imagery. The events that take place are never really described in detail but what the reader is left to assume is happening is very disturbing.

Rudy is a typical troublemaker sort of teen boy before he moves out onto this island. His main pastimes are smoking, drinking, and sleeping around. On the island though he feels like he is in purgatory, there is only one other girl on the island even close to his age and she won’t leave her house. Rudy starts drawing again, but his life mainly revolves around his brother’s health.

All that changes when Rudy meets Teeth. Teeth is a half fish, half boy (merman) of sorts who has a sad story and an even sadder existence. Teeth sees the special fish as his siblings and tries to protect them from the fishermen. When Ruby realizes this he is torn between having to choose between his brother’s recovery and his friendship/attraction to Teeth.

This is an interesting read about magic, loneliness, and what humans will do when they are desperate. Moskowitz assumes that readers are intelligent and doesn't necessarily spell everything out for you. At times this makes the story kind of ambiguous. As a reader you pretty much know what’s going on but you kind of hope you are wrong.

There’s a lot of thought-provoking parts to the story where the question is raised about what is right. For example when is it right to sacrifice something to save something else? Aside from Teeth the magic in the story is very subtle.

The book is well written and engaging. It ties things up in a realistic, if not fully satisfying, way. It’s definitely not an uplifting story either.

Overall I enjoyed it and thought it was an intriguing read. It’s not a comfortable read and none of the characters are really all that likable. However it is an interesting read and explores some interesting issues. There is a lot of swearing and violence, so just beaware of that...probably best for older teens. The story is a bit disturbing and uncomfortable at points. Still it was different from a lot of other things I have read and I liked it. ( )
  krau0098 | Oct 18, 2013 |
Available to read as part of Contemporary YA Appreciation Week on The Book Lantern.

I know many people will be looking at the synopsis then at the title and wondering one of two things: One, “But Ceilidh, that doesn’t sound very realistic”, or Two, “I knew fish-boys were real! Weekly World News was right again! Now we need to get Obama’s real birth certificate!” I understand these concerns, and am concerned for some of you in return, and I hope this review can put your mind at ease.

Like many an eager YA reviewer, I have been inordinately excited about the upcoming release of Hannah Moskowitz’s novel “Teeth” ever since I heard the term “magical gay fish-boy”. In a time where originality seems to be an increasingly rare commodity and the same three cover templates fill the shelves of the young adult section of your local bookshop, to hear that such a barmy, intriguing and down-right unique concept has not only been written but bought by Simon & Schuster is a much needed reprieve from paranormal love and the end of the world. However, Moskowitz has never left her trademark contemporary YA field (one where she excels – “Gone Gone Gone” is one of the best books of 2012 and you can read my review here), and such a high concept idea needs a strong clear vision and the talent to pull it off if it is to even come close to approaching its potential. However, I am proud to declare that not only does Moskowitz pass those expectations, she knocks them right out of the park.

While the book is clearly not in the same contemporary territory as the author’s previous books, it retains a strangely gritty realism throughout and never fully yields to the fantastical premise on offer. Yes, this story does feature a character who is half human and half fish (and not at all glamourised or depicted as beautiful, another breath of fresh air), but it’s really centred on Rudy and his struggles to cope with his family’s situation as well as the difficulties one must go through in order to just grow up and be normal. Similarly to “Gone Gone Gone”, we are treated to an effective and emotional character study that strikes another blow against the dissenters of YA who declare the genre to be shallow and void of any real value. It takes a particularly skilful and gutsy author to go for the tough and grotesque and pull it off with such panache.

Moskowitz’s style is raw, unfussy and packs a punch, convincingly taking on the mantle of a confused teenage boy who often can’t find the right words to describe how he’s feeling. His confusion is tragically contrasted with his knowledge of the inevitable fate that will befall his sick younger brother. Both prone to fits of childishness, with the swears to match, and the decidedly mature awareness of his family’s humanity, Rudy is something of a triumph in terms of character work in YA. The book has its fair share of interesting supporting characters, although none quite match Rudy and the manic, angry and self-deprecating Teeth for memorability. Rudy’s relationship with his family is a particular highlight, capturing the frustrations and fears that accompany being surrounded 24/7 by the possibility of your loved ones dying. Even the miracle of magical fish cannot promise anything long-term, and the shadow of this knowledge looms over Rudy. The phrase that kept cropping up as I was putting together my thoughts for this review was “deceptively simple”, which sounds rather patronising if I’m honest, but Moskowitz has managed to pull off creating layered complexities and subtext without resorting to over-done prose or forced sentimentality. Even when the book veers close to that territory, as it does especially towards the end, Moskowitz is in complete control of these characters.

However, the novel shares a similar problem with “Gone Gone Gone” in that the plotting is less skilfully handled than the wonderful character work. It’s not a novel preoccupied with plot and creating a rollicking adventure for its readers, which I appreciate, but when “Teeth” does change to a race-against-time style story towards its climax, it just doesn’t work as well. The relationship between Rudy and Teeth is so effective and affecting that it feels like a disservice for it to be briefly shelved as the story calls for an exciting final few chapters. Fortunately this does not detract from the raw emotional power of the book, particularly in relation to the central relationship. It shouldn’t work (actually, nothing connected to that high concept blurb should work) and yet it retains a moving, often humorous and starkly unsentimental edge that feels like a blast of cool water to the face to clear away an overload of insta-love and obsessive looks. Rudy’s sexuality is not black and white and Moskowitz, one of the few YA authors practicing what she preaches in terms of diversifying the cast of current YA novels, makes no such demands from her protagonist.

I classify this novel, probably inaccurately, as contemporary because it has far more in common with that genre of fiction than the paranormal shelves packed full of mystical sea creatures. Moskowitz avoids clichés and challenges herself to take the unbeaten track, using her simply explained mythos to explore all too human themes and relationships. I honestly cannot recommend “Teeth” enough. I devoured it in a way that I haven’t done with a YA novel in quite some time. It’s challenging, refreshing, unsentimental, downright weird, heart-breaking and far more relatable than you’d expect. While I do not expect there to be a swarm of copycat magical gay fish-boy novels released in this book’s wake, as amazing as that would be, I hope that this will bring Moskowitz the acclaim she so clearly deserves.

4.5/5.
  Ceilidhann | Sep 20, 2013 |

"Rudy's life is flipped upside-down when his family moves to a remote, magical island in a last attempt to save his sick younger brother, Dylan. While Dylan recovers, Rudy sinks deeper and deeper into his loneliness"--

Hannah Moskowitz is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,118,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible