Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz

Authors:Hannah Moskowitz
Info:Simon Pulse (2013), Hardcover, 288 pages
Rating:*****

Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz

This was a fascinating magical fish story, in which Rudy moves to an island in order to try to save his younger brother's life. The island is empty of teenagers his own age, as everyone there is seeking the same magic cure that his family is. It leaves him lonely and wandering, and his wandering leads him to discover a fish boy named Teeth. (So refreshing to have a merman story!) He is drawn into a friendship with Teeth, which could endanger his brother's life.

This book does an excellent job mixing the modern world with a true fair tale feel. It also handles Rudy's emotions well, showing how he at once longs for his old life and his boredom and at the same time his deep, deep love for his brother. He's a brilliantly crafted character.

The book delves into some dark territories, but evades easy answers or solutions. The ending leaft me feeling a little heartbroken. I will definitely be picking up more books by this author. ( )
  andreablythe | Sep 3, 2014 |
I really don't know what to say about this novel. It is extraordinarily unusual: equal parts disturbing and oddly heart warming. It took me quite some time to warm up to Rudy (our main character), but I did find his interactions and relationships with the other characters intriguing.
There is quite a bit of violence and swearing in this book and I would also like to add a trigger warning for several instances of rape. Please tread carefully. Although this is not a book I would recommend for younger teens, Teeth is a raw, intense read that will stay with you for days... ( )
  clear_tranquil | May 27, 2014 |
Rudy hates that his family has to (temporarily?) move to a remote island to try to save his younger brother's life. This island is surrounded by legends of "magical" fish with healing properties, and is inhabited mostly by people with terminal illnesses. And the fish really DO work.

But the legends of a ghost seem to be the only thing to rouse Rudy out of his loneliness as he starts to unfold the secrets and scandals this island and its inhabitants are trying to hide, including the merman he meets in the ocean whose own story is important to everyone on the island. ( )
  RussianLoveMachine | Apr 12, 2014 |
Another chest-puncher. Also another that you just can't stop reading until it's done, and then you go, "Why did I have to read this so fast?" And you turn the book over and over, hoping maybe you missed something, but you know you didn't.

There were times when the dialog felt a little generic to me, but these moments were brief. I loved the pacing, Teeth's manner of speaking, and some of those Rudy internal dialogs were insanely intense--I couldn't look away for a second.

Definitely, a must read. ( )
  AddisonLane | Oct 26, 2013 |
I have been wanting to read this book a long time. I am not sure why except that the synopsis sounded completely intriguing to me. It ended up being a very interesting, introspective, raw and disturbing read.

Rudy is forced to move out to a desolate island with his family. Out at this island there is a type of fish that seems to be helping his young brother (who has cystic fibrosis) get better. While out there he meets a strange fish boy, and finds out that the miracle fish have a steep cost.

This was very well written and very atmospheric. The descriptions are both beautiful and horrible. The writing is a bit raw at times, there is a lot of swearing, and some gruesome imagery. The events that take place are never really described in detail but what the reader is left to assume is happening is very disturbing.

Rudy is a typical troublemaker sort of teen boy before he moves out onto this island. His main pastimes are smoking, drinking, and sleeping around. On the island though he feels like he is in purgatory, there is only one other girl on the island even close to his age and she won’t leave her house. Rudy starts drawing again, but his life mainly revolves around his brother’s health.

All that changes when Rudy meets Teeth. Teeth is a half fish, half boy (merman) of sorts who has a sad story and an even sadder existence. Teeth sees the special fish as his siblings and tries to protect them from the fishermen. When Ruby realizes this he is torn between having to choose between his brother’s recovery and his friendship/attraction to Teeth.

This is an interesting read about magic, loneliness, and what humans will do when they are desperate. Moskowitz assumes that readers are intelligent and doesn't necessarily spell everything out for you. At times this makes the story kind of ambiguous. As a reader you pretty much know what’s going on but you kind of hope you are wrong.

There’s a lot of thought-provoking parts to the story where the question is raised about what is right. For example when is it right to sacrifice something to save something else? Aside from Teeth the magic in the story is very subtle.

The book is well written and engaging. It ties things up in a realistic, if not fully satisfying, way. It’s definitely not an uplifting story either.

Overall I enjoyed it and thought it was an intriguing read. It’s not a comfortable read and none of the characters are really all that likable. However it is an interesting read and explores some interesting issues. There is a lot of swearing and violence, so just beaware of that...probably best for older teens. The story is a bit disturbing and uncomfortable at points. Still it was different from a lot of other things I have read and I liked it. ( )
  krau0098 | Oct 18, 2013 |

"Rudy's life is flipped upside-down when his family moves to a remote, magical island in a last attempt to save his sick younger brother, Dylan. While Dylan recovers, Rudy sinks deeper and deeper into his loneliness"--

Hannah Moskowitz is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,824,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible