Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz

Authors:Hannah Moskowitz
Info:Simon Pulse (2013), Hardcover, 288 pages
Rating:*****

Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz

An odd amalgamation of love story, fantasy/sci-fi and typical YA problem novel. The young male protagonist, Rudy, finds himself on an isolated island with his family due to his little brother's life-threatening multiple sclerosis because of what the family and other inhabitants of the island believe is the health-restoring properties of the magical fish found there.

Rudy grapples with guilt, discovering what love means, and other coming of age issues in the midst of several serious moral conundrums. ( )
  bufsemlibrary | Apr 6, 2016 |
Rudy hates that his family has to (temporarily?) move to a remote island to try to save his younger brother's life. This island is surrounded by legends of "magical" fish with healing properties, and is inhabited mostly by people with terminal illnesses. And the fish really DO work.

But the legends of a ghost seem to be the only thing to rouse Rudy out of his loneliness as he starts to unfold the secrets and scandals this island and its inhabitants are trying to hide, including the merman he meets in the ocean whose own story is important to everyone on the island. ( )
  mpelleg | Feb 15, 2016 |
I think this is my favorite Moskowitz book yet - surprisingly! I usually don’t like stories with magical or unrealistic elements, but this book totally owns it and made me believe it. Rudy and his family move to a remote island to try and heal his five-year-old brother, who has cystic fibrosis. The fish that swim around the island are apparently magic, healing anything that ails the people who eat them. That means people never leave the island - they’re too scared to go back to being sick if they stop eating the fish. Since he’s the only teen on the island, Rudy misses his friends and typical teenage lifestyle, but he forgets all of that when he sees a fishboy in the water. After a few sightings, he starts talking to the fishboy and wants to learn his story, but he isn’t expecting how strong their bond can really grow to be. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
This may be one of the weirdest books I've read in a while. Surprisingly graphic and profane for the YA I'm used to, which didn't bother me too much. There was a certain odd sweetness that softened it a little bit.
I can't say I would recommend it necessarily, but I wouldn't recommend against it either. ( )
  DanielleMD | Jun 20, 2015 |
Some elegant writing here but this surreal fable is not my sort of thing. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |

"Rudy's life is flipped upside-down when his family moves to a remote, magical island in a last attempt to save his sick younger brother, Dylan. While Dylan recovers, Rudy sinks deeper and deeper into his loneliness"--

Hannah Moskowitz is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,847,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible