Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx

Brokeback Mountain (original 1999; edition 2005)

by Annie Proulx

Member:MissMac
Title:Brokeback Mountain
Authors:Annie Proulx
Info:HarperPerennial (2005), Edition: Film Tie-in Ed, Paperback, 320 pages

Close Range by Annie Proulx (1999)

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (chrisharpe)
    The Reader by Bernhard Schlink (1Owlette)
    1Owlette: Although very different in many ways, [The Reader] and [Brokeback Mountain] are both similarly devastating and concentrated in their impact.
    Runaway by Alice Munro (gust)
    Cowboys are My Weakness by Pam Houston (MyriadBooks)
    All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy (chrisharpe)

Close Range, by Annie Proulx, is a collection of short stories most famous for its final piece: Brokeback Mountain. All the stories speak of the harsh reality of ranch life—the poverty, the loneliness, the lack of options. Here are ranchers and rodeo men, cowgirls and castaways. For me, these characters, their language, rough manners, and harsh existence, feel a bit like a family reunion. Though I grew up in a comfortable suburban childhood, ranching is in my blood, and these stories made me think about how both my ancestors and living extended family went about their lives.

The first takeaways for any reader of Close Range are the all abiding loneliness and the harsh environment in Wyoming. Rural life in the west, despite its wide open beauty, is hard. Living on a ranch, you have to deal with gale force winds, freezing winter temperatures, and land that is bone dry. The distance between homesteads is immense, and that distance breeds an intense loneliness in its people. Cowboys are less free than trapped in an environment they can’t escape from. The work is filled with mud, blood, and guts, and with rock bottom beef prices, the pay is minimal. Men are quick to violence and rough justice, woman search for companionship—in some of the worst kind of men.

And yet, despite the odds, there is joy and love. Both the traditional kind, with two lonely hearts finding each other in The Bunchgrass Edge of the World or in the hard, foredoomed gay love of two cowboys in Brokeback Mountain. The landscape, though harsh and unforgiving, reveals its beauty in quick rainstorms, hoodoos and bobcats, bunchgrass and red clay soils. Humor finds its place too, in the no-nonsense character of Mrs. Freeze, or in a case of mistaken identity in the Bloody Bay. Finishing this book, I am awed by how Annie Proulx created a touching likeness of the west and it’s people. The characters aren’t the most upstanding, but in their imperfections, show a likable humanity to them. ( )
  mnmcdwl | Oct 9, 2018 |
2.5 stars ( )
  Kirstielee | Apr 16, 2018 |
I got half way through before deciding I have little interest in what occurs in Wyoming. I liked Broke Back and Shipping News (Newfoundland) , but in this collection you are given a short time to care about and become invested in the characters, and I failed to make the deadline. Not only did I fail to become invested, but I felt sort of morose about them like when reading Cormac McCarthy. In short Wyoming makes me feel sad and detached.
  rosechimera | Mar 16, 2018 |
  rosechimera | Mar 16, 2018 |
Her style is not my taste. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
added by Shortride | editNew York, Walter Kirn (May 17, 1999)

"Reality's never been of much use out here."
-Retired Wyoming Rancher
These stories are for my children

Muffy
Jon
Gillis
Morgan
In the long unfurling of his life, from tightwound kid hustler in a wool suit riding the train out of Cheyenne to geriatric limper in this spooled-out year, Mero had kicked down thoughts of the place where he began, a so-called ranch on a strange ground at the south hinge of the Big Horns.

Contents: Half-Skinned Steer
Lonely Coast
Governors of Wyoming
55 Miles to the Gas Pump
Brokeback Mountain.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684852225, Paperback)

Pulitzer Prize-winner E. Annie Proulx forays through the underside of America's beloved Wild West in Close Range, a collection of stories about hardship and more hardship in Wyoming territory. Understanding that the West's infinite spaces tended to inspire neither introspection nor contemplation, but a violent and insatiable restlessness, Proulx's eight stories are dark reflections on the lives of a handful of characters striving to define themselves against the unforgiving landscapes. The three professional actors chosen to read the text give strong, resounding interpretations of the macabre tales. (Running time: 6 hours, 4 cassettes) --Natasha Senjanovich

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:53 -0400)

A collection of stories set in Wyoming. They range from The Mud Below, on an itinerant rodeo cowboy, to People in Hell Just Want a Drink of Water, which is on a family feud.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,149,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible