Death of the Couch Potato's Wife by…

Death of the Couch Potato's Wife

by Christy Barritt

Title: Death of the Couch Potato’s Wife
Author: Christy Barritt
Pages: 288
Year: 2012
Publisher: Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas
My rating is 5 stars.
Christy Barritt wove a murder mystery in a small town called Boring in Indiana with some pretty interesting if not funny characters. The main characters are a married couple Kent and Laura Berry who moved to a small town in order to see Kent’s dream of owning a pharmacy become a reality. Laura originally worked for a PR firm in Chicago, but left under less than stellar reasons. Now Laura is going through culture shock! Not only is she trying to get used to being a housewife, but she has to contend with the slower paced lifestyle.
One of the neighbors who quickly befriends her is a senior lady named Babe who doesn’t act or talk her age; she is really the comic relief in the novel. Babe has some oddities or sayings that will just make you laugh as you read the book; I sure had some good laughs. Babe is the lady who pushes Laura to do things she never imagined doing like becoming an amateur sleuth when they both discover a neighbor in her house dead on her couch, hence the title of the book.
Laura most of the time along with Babe interacts with curious neighbors who are anything but “normal”. Each time I would read how Laura would describe a neighbor or deduce what they might be doing then find out the truth was a lot of fun! On top of this, Laura really is wondering about the state of her marriage, what her husband is up to and the neighborhood’s association president who tends to drive everybody crazy.
However, there is a killer on the loose and Laura is quickly running out of suspects! Wait to read about what happens on the night of the Super Bowl! Read and enjoy the novel as it sure was great to laugh and watch how quirky neighbors might just end up good friends!
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Aug 30, 2016 |
2.5* I would have given this 3 stars but there were a few things that bothered me.

First off, I was confused by how old the protagonist Laura Berry was -- she starts off by saying her 70-year-old friend Babe was about 3 times her age; okay, I'm a math geek so I figure 70 ÷ 3 = ~23. On the young side to be a suburban housewife but possible. A chapter or so later though, we are told she met her husband when a sophomore in college and she has been married for 6 years; later we are told they dated for 2 years before marrying. Either she is supersmart & went to college at 13-14 years old or she is NOT 1/3 of 70. I know that this isn't really important but it distracted me from the story trying to figure it all out.

Then there were the names -- Tiara, Darius, Chief Romeo, Gia, Steele, Babe etc. They just sound phony to me... Although I did like the fact that Laura lived on the Dullington Estates in Boring, Indiana!

Next was the repeated discussion about mowing lawns in winter -- does the author not know that winter is from the end of December to the end of March? Who mows in Indiana or any of the northern US then?? Even if the ground is free of snow, the plants are not growing.

Lastly, the religious aspects of Laura's life were a bit much for me. This one was just a minor issue but it came up more and more as the book went on & I would have some concerns about this in future books in the series.

On the plus side, I liked the protagonist & the setting. The writing was decent and the mystery kept me guessing. I would try another one from the library but I wouldn't pay for it. ( )
  leslie.98 | Dec 11, 2015 |
My guilty reading pleasure (and I admit I don’t feel that guilty about it) is cozy mysteries. When I find a cozy that combines all the fun aspects of the genre with a Christian message, I jump on it. Christy Barritt writes what I like, and Death of The Couch Potato’s Wife satisfied my craving for small town characters, an amateur sleuth and a puzzling mystery.

Laura Berry lives in Boring, Indiana in Dullington Estates. But her small town experience following years in Chicago, is anything but dull and boring when she discovers her neighbor dead among the pork rinds. Along with her slang talking best friend, 70-something Babe, Laura sets out to discover who killed the Couch King’s wife. But someone is listening in to her conversations and has her in their sights, causing Laura to suspect just about everyone in her neighborhood.

Fun and funny, Death of The Couch Potato’s Wife, is fast-paced. The characters are a bit eccentric without becoming too over the top in quirkiness. I live in a small town neighborhood with what we lovingly call the covenant police. I can really relate to all the happenings at Boring’s church, homeowner’s meetings and small town businesses. And while I guessed early on just whodunit, Laura’s struggle with adjusting to small town life kept me laughing and turning the pages.

Recommended. ( )
  vintagebeckie | Oct 7, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 098476559X, Paperback)

Welcome to Boring, Indiana, home to patio cookouts, homeowner dues, carpeted lawns, and neighbors so welcoming they’re dying to meet you — literally.
City slicker turned suburbanite housewife Laura Berry isn’t taking well to life in her new neighborhood. She moved to follow her husband’s dream, and now she can’t tell if she’s clinically depressed or just bored half to death. But Boring becomes anything but when Laura discovers her neighbor Candace Flynn face up on a sofa with her hand buried in a snack bag. With a healthy dose of neighborly suspicion and street smarts, Laura sets out to find Flynn’s killer, but her curiosity becomes desperation when the killer targets Laura.
Someone is determined to stop her from digging deeper into the murder, but Laura is just as determined to figure out who’s behind the death-by-poisoned-pork-rinds.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:37 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,743,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible