Death of the Couch Potato's Wife by…

Death of the Couch Potato's Wife

by Christy Barritt

2.5* I would have given this 3 stars but there were a few things that bothered me.

First off, I was confused by how old the protagonist Laura Berry was -- she starts off by saying her 70-year-old friend Babe was about 3 times her age; okay, I'm a math geek so I figure 70 ÷ 3 = ~23. On the young side to be a suburban housewife but possible. A chapter or so later though, we are told she met her husband when a sophomore in college and she has been married for 6 years; later we are told they dated for 2 years before marrying. Either she is supersmart & went to college at 13-14 years old or she is NOT 1/3 of 70. I know that this isn't really important but it distracted me from the story trying to figure it all out.

Then there were the names -- Tiara, Darius, Chief Romeo, Gia, Steele, Babe etc. They just sound phony to me... Although I did like the fact that Laura lived on the Dullington Estates in Boring, Indiana!

Next was the repeated discussion about mowing lawns in winter -- does the author not know that winter is from the end of December to the end of March? Who mows in Indiana or any of the northern US then?? Even if the ground is free of snow, the plants are not growing.

Lastly, the religious aspects of Laura's life were a bit much for me. This one was just a minor issue but it came up more and more as the book went on & I would have some concerns about this in future books in the series.

On the plus side, I liked the protagonist & the setting. The writing was decent and the mystery kept me guessing. I would try another one from the library but I wouldn't pay for it. ( )
  leslie.98 | Dec 11, 2015 |
My guilty reading pleasure (and I admit I don’t feel that guilty about it) is cozy mysteries. When I find a cozy that combines all the fun aspects of the genre with a Christian message, I jump on it. Christy Barritt writes what I like, and Death of The Couch Potato’s Wife satisfied my craving for small town characters, an amateur sleuth and a puzzling mystery.

Laura Berry lives in Boring, Indiana in Dullington Estates. But her small town experience following years in Chicago, is anything but dull and boring when she discovers her neighbor dead among the pork rinds. Along with her slang talking best friend, 70-something Babe, Laura sets out to discover who killed the Couch King’s wife. But someone is listening in to her conversations and has her in their sights, causing Laura to suspect just about everyone in her neighborhood.

Fun and funny, Death of The Couch Potato’s Wife, is fast-paced. The characters are a bit eccentric without becoming too over the top in quirkiness. I live in a small town neighborhood with what we lovingly call the covenant police. I can really relate to all the happenings at Boring’s church, homeowner’s meetings and small town businesses. And while I guessed early on just whodunit, Laura’s struggle with adjusting to small town life kept me laughing and turning the pages.

Recommended. ( )
  vintagebeckie | Oct 7, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 098476559X, Paperback)

Welcome to Boring, Indiana, home to patio cookouts, homeowner dues, carpeted lawns, and neighbors so welcoming they’re dying to meet you — literally.

City slicker turned suburbanite housewife Laura Berry isn’t taking well to life in her new neighborhood. She moved to follow her husband’s dream, and now she can’t tell if she’s clinically depressed or just bored half to death. But Boring becomes anything but when Laura discovers her neighbor Candace Flynn face up on a sofa with her hand buried in a snack bag. With a healthy dose of neighborly suspicion and street smarts, Laura sets out to find Flynn’s killer, but her curiosity becomes desperation when the killer targets Laura.

Someone is determined to stop her from digging deeper into the murder, but Laura is just as determined to figure out who’s behind the death-by-poisoned-pork-rinds.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:37 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,800,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible