Widow's Might: A Liv Bergen Mystery by…

Widow's Might: A Liv Bergen Mystery (edition 2012)

by Sandra Brannan

Originally Reviewed At:Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: ARC provided by the publisher
Reviewer: Heather

Widow’s Might is the third installment in the Liv Bergen mysteries. I’ll disclose that I have not had the chance to read the previous books, though I am sure I would enjoy them. With that being said, I would like to let everyone know that I wouldn’t say its necessary, but always recommended for awesomely written stories.

This suspense filled murder mystery begins in Liv’s home state where she has found herself thrown into a decade long investigation of the Crooked Man. Belluah, the prestige trailing hound, along with the FBI, she must help to piece together the motives, the cold trails, and protect one sweet, terminally ill, woman from the killer before he can strike her dead. Can Liv, the miner, step to the plate and take command of Belluah?

This was an awesome adventure that keeps the reader on its toes. You are given clues as you read through the story along with rich history on Custards Expedition and Little Big Horn. Entwined into it all is the plot. Rich and thick with suspense as each report comes in, new discoveries are found, or Belluah and Liv are chasing down fresh scents on cold serial cases of a killer who has killed every year for the last 12 years.

But there is more, much more to this tale than meets the eye. While the FBI has known that the murders are connected, there are some clues that only history can tell.

My honest opinion is that anyone 18 or older, loves mysteries, enjoys history, and likes a story that will suck you in…well yeah this book is for you. By the time I was finished {2 days}, I found myself wanting to read more. I also found myself thinking that it would make a great television show. That alone is a rarity since I don’t watch television a whole lot. ( )
  momgamerwriter | Feb 6, 2014 |
You cannot meet this author – as I had the opportunity to do at the 12th Annual SIBA (Southern Independent Book Association) Convention this past September - and not like her immediately. So I have been avoiding reading her book – what if I hated it? Fortunately, it is totally not an issue. I liked it so much I actually intend to go back and read earlier books in the Liv Bergen Mystery Series, even though I hate going backwards in series! But I really like these characters, and the author’s voice as channeled through main protagonist Live Bergen is as charming as is her real-life voice as Sandra Brannan.

Liv is an attractive 29-year old miner working in Livermore, Colorado who doesn’t go out much, and says she has never apologized for “keeping my nose to the limestone.” Yet somehow [presumably elucidated in earlier books in the series], she had become involved with a murder case in the Black Hills of South Dakota, and got to know the FBI agents on the scene investigating it. And now, it so happens she gets mixed up with yet another murder case, only a short time after the last. This murder looks like one committed by a bizarre and methodical serial killer known as “The Crooked Man.” FBI Special Agent Streeter Pierce (secretly called Agent Adonis by Liv) has been frustrated by these cases for thirteen years now, but with Liv’s knowledge of the area and the assistance of two other agents (also-gorgeous Jack Linwood and also-gorgeous Jenna Tate), there are finally some breakthroughs. It also helps immensely that the latest intended victim of The Crooked Man, a feisty widow named Helma Hanson, managed to survive. As the protagonists work towards solving the crime, we also learn a lot about General George Armstrong Custer’s 1874 expedition into the Black Hills, and about the disputes between conservationists and ranchers over the preservation of natural resources and historic sites in South Dakota.

Evaluation: Other than the fact that everyone in this book is either “a looker” or “drop-dead gorgeous” I was delighted with this book. (And what the heck – maybe the Black Hills has more appeal than I knew!) Well, there was also the problem that what occurred in earlier books seems to be pretty important, but isn't made all that clear to readers just jumping in at book three. Thus, I would recommend starting with the two earlier books in the series, In The Belly of Jonah, and Lot’s Return to Sodom. (Yes, all the titles are biblical references, and yes, one could even define this book, and perhaps the others, as Christian fiction.) But don’t let all these caveats deter you! This is a very likable book, with great characters. The author’s self-deprecating humor and talent as a raconteur are just as charming as can be. (And now, I’m off to order the two previous books….) ( )
  nbmars | Jan 16, 2013 |
This is the type of book and series that keeps you coming back for more. In this story, someone has tried to kill a dying woman. The mystery is why. For those who follow my reviews, you know I like a strong female lead and this book fits the bill with the likable Liv Bergen.

The characters are well thought out and ones you want to know better. I had not yet read the first two books and initially I felt like the story picked up where book two ended. I was able to catch up and read this as a stand alone mystery; however, Liv Bergen is a character I want to know better so I will go back and read the first two books in the series.

The story moves at a great place and keeps you wondering what will happen next. A very enjoyable read.

Reader received a complimentary copy from Good Reads First Reads. ( )
  dgmlrhodes | Oct 27, 2012 |
In the 3d book in the Liv Bergen mystery series we pick up right where we were left off in book 2 “Lot’s return to Sodom” there were murders yet unsolved as ranchers in the beautiful black hills of South Dakota where Liv’s family live and work seem to be dying mysteriously at an alarming rate. These books are sequential which I love so, you should read them in order. Personally I would never read a book out of order no matter if you “could” or not, as it would drive me nuts. Just a book quirk with me …
Liv is still in her home state of South Dakota as is agent Streeter Pierce who is investigating a case he worked on 10 years ago that was never solved and was touched on in the last book the murder mystery by someone only known as the crooked man.
With Liv and Streeter’s relationship moving right along they get some help from some unlikely sources, a loveable hound Belluah, who gets Liv interested and ultimately signed up for FBI training which was of course Streeter’s sneaky idea in the first place and some very interesting FBI procedures. Liv, her sister Elizabeth and Streeter run up against some crazy environmentalists and somehow this all gets connected with General Custer’s 1874 black hills expedition… This book is a page turning, nail biting, up all night kind of read
I am very excited to read the next installment in this series “Noah’s Rainy Day”
I think the covers of the books are spectacular as well as the titles and of course the content! ( )
  annie.michelle | Sep 24, 2012 |
Author: Sandra Brannan
Published By: Greenleaf
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Blog For: GMTA
Rating: 4

Review:

"Widow's Might" by Sandra Brannan was a awesome mystery novel. The "Widow's Might" is the third book in the Liv Bergren Series and this novel will continue on with some of the same characters from the previous reads. Be ready for a lot of action that will keep you on the edge of your seat as you edge into the meat of this novel about the 'Crooked Man' that has striked once again. This series is how "Liv gets swept up into the investiagion of the rancher's murder along with her trailing dog ...protecting a terminally ill woman and helping in the cold case of The Crooked Man Murders."

The characters are so real from Liv, Helma, Elizabeth, Streeter, Jack Linwood, Enif,Tommy Jasper, Beulah, Lisa Henry, Dr. Morgan, Agent Blysdorf, Hester Moore, Steve Preston, Paula Pierce, Agent Jenna Tate, Senator Billings, Pastor Keeley, Congressman Bergen, Nurse Sandy, Gilbert, Mark Godshell, Jens, and Frances to some others that I have left out that you will only find if you pick up this wonderful read of "Widow's Might."

This author gives its reader a real good flavor of the area of the Black Hills of South Dakota showing a lot of its colorful history of the state in this good read. Be ready for some of Liv's family, Beulah, Helma, Elizabeth and the OMG what a ending! For in the end you will get to see who sacrificed their life for Liv and her sister Elizabeth... and yes Beulah helped too. This is where I say you must pick up this good read to find out what this is all about.

If you are a mystery lover who loves history I would recommend "Widow's Might" for you. ( )
  arlenadean | Sep 15, 2012 |
To Lisa and the two mites, Hunter and Jonathon

The third Liv Bergen mystery picks up right where the second one left off: a murder has been solved, but an older rancher has been bludgeoned to death in a style eerily reminiscent of a long-inactive killer known only as the Crooked Man. FBI agent Streeter Pierce, still on assignment in Sturgis, South Dakota, must now turn his sights on tracking down the killer, who happens to be his nemesis from ten years earlier. Pierce doesn't complain, though; he's falling in love with Liv Bergen and sets in motion an unconventional way to recruit her for the FBI's training camp in Quantico, Virginia, as they work the case together. But is Liv falling for the brilliant, exotic-looking agent Jack Linwood instead? Once again, Liv's vast knowledge of the Black Hills of South Dakota--the territory General Custer made famous--and the modern day ranchers and environmentalists who live there leads her to unearth critical clues about the Crooked Man. Aided by her elfin sister with rainbow-colored hair, a sad-eyed bloodhound, and a terminally ill Norwegian widow, Liv ultimately identifies the deranged killer. But will her barrage of questions be enough to fend off a fatal blow from the very cane he used to crush the skulls of thirteen other victims?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,401,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible