Midnight City: A Conquered Earth Novel by J.…

Midnight City: A Conquered Earth Novel (edition 2012)

by J. Barton Mitchell

11720103,116 (3.95)3
Title:Midnight City: A Conquered Earth Novel
Authors:J. Barton Mitchell
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages

Midnight City: A Conquered Earth Novel by J. Barton Mitchell

This was a great start to this series, although I wasn't thrilled with the cliffhanger ending. On the other hand, I'm kind of eager to get my hands on the second book, so perhaps the non-ending ending is effective.

Definitely recommend YA and sci-fi fans give it a read. Very interesting story and characters. Full review is at www.onfictionwriting.com. ( )
  ReneeMiller | Feb 25, 2016 |
This is a very well written book, with an intense story on loyalty, friendship, love and survival. The plot is quite simple and will keep you hooked from the first page to the end. Our hero is called Holt. He is a bounty hunter that has as his companion his dog named Max, and the currently highest prize is Mira Toombs, a treasurer seeker and freebooter. Earth was conquered eight years before by aliens and their domination is based on the transmission of a signal that they broadcast all over called Tone, and make all humans on early twenties and over to be submissive to their call to unconditional servitude. But there are a few that are immune to the Tone, like Holt. Mira is almost succumbing to the signal, having just some more months before turning herself to the aliens. Holt captures Mira, and a strong connection between them develops almost instantly, but he fights hard not to fall for her. After capturing her, an alien ship crashes near them and when investigating it, Holt finds its only survivor, an eight years old young lady that can only remember her name, Zoye. But soon they learn that the whole alien force is seeking Zoey and they figure out that she must be very special to draw all that attention. The story develops in a very intense thriller and the end is very unpredictable and leaves that feeling that we want more and very soon! This might turn out to be a very interesting Hollywood movie. It has all ingredients for an instant success blockbuster!

I recommend this book to the permanent library of all science-fiction lovers that wants to be entertained with a thriller story that will hook you from the beginning and you will read it on the edge of your chair. It took me around 13 hours to read the whole book. This book was written by J.Barton Mitchell and it was published by St. Martin's Griffin on October of 2012. Amazon.com was kind enough to provide this product for me through their Vine Program for reviewing and I was not requested to provide a positive review. Opinions expressed here are my own. ( )
  rmattos | Jan 23, 2016 |
Great characters but with hokey pokey plot points

I’m a serious fence sitter when it comes to Midnight City. It started with great action right from page one – showed us a bit of mean post apocalyptic human behavior, but what really reeled me in was when the aliens came on the scene and sent everyone scurrying. I won’t tell how, but it got my blood pumping and me jonezing for more.

Then all of a sudden things get hokey. I was expecting more alien and it felt like I got magic or fantasy instead. All of the stuff about”strange lands artifacts” and combining them together to get the contraptions to do certain things. It didn’t throw me completely off the book, but I was mildly annoyed by it.

The idea of how the people succumb to the Tone and start going towards the Alien motherships uncontrollably was a cool idea. Having it show up visibly in the eyes was a great tension builder. I liked the three main characters and how the relationships slowly build and become more attached. It was well done and distracted me from the things I didn’t like about the story. For instance, Midnight city and its point system…so stupid that I made ugly faces every time it was mentioned.

Overall, enjoyable but I don’t know if I’d continue. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I couldn't connect with this novel. The start is confusing with no explanation about what is occurring. The lack of background info and the way it just seemed to jump into a scene made it very difficult to want to continue reading. I may try again in the future, but for now this is in the DNF pile. Others say it gets better and less confusing as the story continues, but with all the books to choose from, I don't have the time or patience to trudge through something I am not enjoying. ( )
  C.Ibarra | Sep 19, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is described as "Lord of the Flies meets War of the Worlds in J. Barton Mitchell's alien-invaded post-apocalyptic world where two teens and a young girl with amazing powers must stop the aliens’ mysterious plan" and I have to agree with that 100% It's a very fast paced novel with characters that are memorable and admirable.

The world building is amazingly detailed and unique. Both the outside world and within the Midnight City itself. The government and ruling powers are harsh and unforgivable. Which only makes for a better story when our three main characters stand up to them, for the right reasons.

Partly what makes the book such an amazing read is the use of gadgets. They are powerful and fun and magical. For instance some do tricky things with gravity. Others are dangerous and can enhance the already deathly effects that have happened to the humans once the Alien beings landed.

I was very happy to see the touch of both sides of the human spirit, both to destroy and to save/rebuild. The humanity that the characters show just in taking care of the dog during everything they have to go through is true spirit and I love seeing that touching side to stories that are so full of darkness and inhumane actions by others.

I loved every minute of this book, I highly recommend it, great for both teen girls, boys and adults. ( )
  Krista23 | Mar 19, 2013 |

In a post-apocalyptic world controlled by alien invaders, two teens and a young girl with mysterious powers embark on a dangerous journey. What they find will change everything.

11 wanted1 pay2 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Midnight City by J. Barton Mitchell was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,684,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible