Midnight City: A Conquered Earth Novel by J.…

Midnight City: A Conquered Earth Novel (edition 2012)

by J. Barton Mitchell

Member:AngelaFristoe
Title:Midnight City: A Conquered Earth Novel
Authors:J. Barton Mitchell
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages

Midnight City: A Conquered Earth Novel (The Conquered Earth) by J. Barton Mitchell

Great characters but with hokey pokey plot points

I’m a serious fence sitter when it comes to Midnight City. It started with great action right from page one – showed us a bit of mean post apocalyptic human behavior, but what really reeled me in was when the aliens came on the scene and sent everyone scurrying. I won’t tell how, but it got my blood pumping and me jonezing for more.

Then all of a sudden things get hokey. I was expecting more alien and it felt like I got magic or fantasy instead. All of the stuff about”strange lands artifacts” and combining them together to get the contraptions to do certain things. It didn’t throw me completely off the book, but I was mildly annoyed by it.

The idea of how the people succumb to the Tone and start going towards the Alien motherships uncontrollably was a cool idea. Having it show up visibly in the eyes was a great tension builder. I liked the three main characters and how the relationships slowly build and become more attached. It was well done and distracted me from the things I didn’t like about the story. For instance, Midnight city and its point system…so stupid that I made ugly faces every time it was mentioned.

Overall, enjoyable but I don’t know if I’d continue. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I couldn't connect with this novel. The start is confusing with no explanation about what is occurring. The lack of background info and the way it just seemed to jump into a scene made it very difficult to want to continue reading. I may try again in the future, but for now this is in the DNF pile. Others say it gets better and less confusing as the story continues, but with all the books to choose from, I don't have the time or patience to trudge through something I am not enjoying. ( )
  C.Ibarra | Sep 19, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is described as "Lord of the Flies meets War of the Worlds in J. Barton Mitchell's alien-invaded post-apocalyptic world where two teens and a young girl with amazing powers must stop the aliens’ mysterious plan" and I have to agree with that 100% It's a very fast paced novel with characters that are memorable and admirable.

The world building is amazingly detailed and unique. Both the outside world and within the Midnight City itself. The government and ruling powers are harsh and unforgivable. Which only makes for a better story when our three main characters stand up to them, for the right reasons.

Partly what makes the book such an amazing read is the use of gadgets. They are powerful and fun and magical. For instance some do tricky things with gravity. Others are dangerous and can enhance the already deathly effects that have happened to the humans once the Alien beings landed.

I was very happy to see the touch of both sides of the human spirit, both to destroy and to save/rebuild. The humanity that the characters show just in taking care of the dog during everything they have to go through is true spirit and I love seeing that touching side to stories that are so full of darkness and inhumane actions by others.

I loved every minute of this book, I highly recommend it, great for both teen girls, boys and adults. ( )
  Krista23 | Mar 19, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love books with worlds that are only inhabited by teens/kids or in this case where kids and teens are the only ones not stuck under the mind control of the aliens. I think it's a fun dynamic to play with, because you never really know how young people are going to act when there is no adult supervision and when they have to fend for themselves. I thought this was a cool take on alien invasion, because you see so much body snatching in alien stories, but it's not really discrimnating. Here we get to see it from a different perspective. This book was unique, thrilling, had lots of action and definitely kept me turning the pages. I look forward to book two :0) ( )
  TheBookLife | Jan 27, 2013 |
A tense, frightening at times novel about teenagers surviving nine years after an alien invasion captured nearly all the adults on the planet-- or at least in North America. This novel should capture wide readership among teens.
Holt Hawkins is one of the lucky ones. Eight years ago aliens known as The Assembly invaded Earth and easily overpowered the adults by sending out 'the tone,' which corrupted the minds of nearly everyone over the age of about 20. Those affected simply walked away from everything: jobs, families, and military posts and headed toward waiting Assembly ships never to return. The kids who were left also eventually succumb when they are old enough, but not Holt. For some reason, he is heedless: the tone has no effect on him. Holt is a teenage bounty hunter, tracking Mira Toombs for a large reward. But while on her trail, Holt also discovers Zoey, a young girl with no memory of her past and strange powers that reveal themselves more frequency the longer they are together. To collect the bounty, Holt must get Mira to Midnight City, a secret underground enclave full of kids and teenagers who have yet to succumb to the tone. However, through their adventures along the way, battling alien gunships, drowned zombies, and teenage pirates, Holt comes to see Mira as more than a bounty and Zoey as more than a rescued child holding him back.

Midnight City is the first of a series, and it is part swashbuckling adventure, part alien resistance, and part mystery (who is Zoey, really? and why are the aliens so keen to get her back?) At 374 pages in hardcover, this is a longer title than casual readers may be used to. The action will appeal to young men and some below-grade readers (although the length might be a turn-off for them), and the strong female lead, Mira, will hopefully draw in young women. Midnight City might not find widespread popularity, but this will satisfy fans of a number of different genres. ( )
  TigerLMS | Jan 15, 2013 |

In a post-apocalyptic world controlled by alien invaders, two teens and a young girl with mysterious powers embark on a dangerous journey. What they find will change everything.

13 wanted1 pay2 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Midnight City by J. Barton Mitchell was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible