All You Never Wanted by Adele Griffin

All You Never Wanted

by Adele Griffin

Wow it was terrible. I was hoping for a good portrayal of anorexia or a satire of the hypocrisies of the rich, but no, it's just a vapid story about vapid teenage girls. Avoid. ( )
  sparemethecensor | Jul 24, 2014 |
Listened to the book. Didn't like the reader but I stuck it out. It touches on a lot issues facing teen girls. ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 25, 2014 |
Ales is the older sister, beautiful and smart. She has developed nervous disorders and anorexia. Thea, the younger sister, wants to be popular, and tells stories if she believes it will make her more interesting and accepted. How far will Thea go to get what she wants - what her sister had? ( )
  pmlyayakkers | Dec 23, 2013 |
See the full review at Short & Sweet Reviews.

Ever read a book where you finish it and realize you have absolutely no sympathy for any of the characters? Even if you should? That's how I felt about Alex and Thea in All You Never Wanted. These are girls who are handed everything they could ever want, thanks to their new, wealthy step-father. On the surface, their lives look easy, but problems lurk underneath the surface, making their lives anything but the fairy-tale stories that they appear to be. Alex is popular and pretty and has opportunities given to her right and left, but is also dealing with a pretty debilitating anxiety disorder. Thea, her younger sister, used to be kind of nerdy and bookish, but as Alex declines, Thea sees a way to climb her way to the top, inventing a new, devious persona to escape her less-than-cool past and get what she wants.

Both of our narrators here are very unreliable, Thea especially. It's established early on that she's manipulative and a liar, willing to do anything to climb the social ladder. So it's easy to question everything she does, right up until the closing pages of the book. I don't have anything against unreliable narrators -- it's an interesting technique that keeps a reader on their toes if done well -- but Thea was so absolutely unsympathetic of a character that I lost interest in trying to wade through her lies very early on. By the end, there was a large part of me that just didn't care what happened to Thea. I just wanted Alex to get out of all of her dysfunctional relationships and start over.

There are a couple of moments in this book that made me stop and go "WAIT YOU'RE KIDDING ME". There's a huge insta-love thing between Alex and Xander; they share hardly any page time at all before she's realizing that she loves him and suddenly starts making drastic changes in her life. Like, it's a positive thing for Alex that helps her cope with her anxiety, but as a reader it made me want to throw things. ( )
  goorgoahead | Dec 4, 2013 |
Bitchy sisters who're really needy and fucked up. Poor little rich girls and the dudes that hang onto them. Great snapshot of some fucked up people within a slice of a weekend. Griffin's language is beautiful and Thea's POV is especially fun to read. ( )
  seekayou | Aug 20, 2013 |

With my eyes closed and Alex's core friends all around me, it was like I'd become my big sister, or something just as good. And so who cared if they were calling it Alex's party? One thing I knew: it would be remembered as mine.

Alex has it all—brains, beauty, popularity, and a dangerously hot boyfriend. Her little sister Thea wants it all, and she's stepped up her game to get it. Even if it means spinning the truth to win the attention she deserves. Even if it means uncovering a shocking secret her older sister never wanted to share. Even if it means crying wolf.

Told in the alternating voices of Alex and Thea, Adele Griffin's mesmerizing new novel is the story of a sibling rivalry on speed.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:57 -0400)

Wealthy teen Thea Parott's jealousy of her older, prettier, more popular sister Alex prompts a series of self-destructive acts that threaten their seemingly-idyllic lives.

3 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,961,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible