Political Suicide by Michael Palmer

Political Suicide (edition 2012)

by Michael Palmer

79None151,336 (3.7)3
Member:Tmtrvlr
Title:Political Suicide
Authors:Michael Palmer
Info:St. Martin's Press (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:*****

Political Suicide by Michael Palmer

Tolerable. For inexplicable reasons I chose this book to listen to on my way back from Chicago (to STL) after taking the Illinois bar.

It's not awful, but it's far from good. Anyone with a military or legal background (I have both) will be bothered by elements of this book.

That being said, it should be judged for what it is... a beach read, an airplane novel, something entertaining to throw away.

If you have time on your hands....... try it. Though, I might recommend a Stephen King, instead. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Dr. Lou Welcome, MD, former drug and alcoholic, comes to the aid of a friend being convicted of murder. In the course of trying to find out what happens, he comes across a plan using the US military for an elite team. The head of this team exchanges weapons for a drug that lessens the men's fear. Very good story, hard to put down. It would have been a "5" if the characters were better described, more human IMO. ( )
  LivelyLady | Mar 18, 2013 |
My thoughts...

Michael Palmer knows how to write a story that draws you in from the very beginning. Dr. Lou Welcome is called by his good friend to help keep him out of prison for a murder he's been accused of and has no memory of because he was suffering from an alcoholic blackout. In the process of the sleuthing investigation by Dr. Welcome things don't seem quite right. Michael Palmer writes an amazing plot that takes many twists and turns that will keep you wondering until the very last page.

I haven't had the opportunity to read "Oath of Office" where Dr. Lou Welcome is introduced but I think it's going on my to be read list very soon. ( )
  lilk | Jan 29, 2013 |
Palmer is one of my favorite medical mystery authors. However, in Political Suicide he deviates from his successful medical mystery formula to write a political mystery. It has not worked well for him. While the beginning and middle parts of the story were OK the ending was most unsatisfying. I was skipping pages for the last 40 pages! While the book was well plotted, the pave was slow. I hope Palmer returns to writing medical mysteries. He is a master at it. ( )
  Violette62 | Jan 25, 2013 |
Oh, Dr. Lou Welcome. Always sticking your nose in where it doesn't belong. It seems this latest offering about Welcome continues
his penchant for trouble and adventure. It also continues his ability to help solve criminal cases for those who should be doing it
without him, That's all part of the fun though.

Lou is a good dad, a caring physician and a bit of a romantic. This all combines to make these stories a compelling read. This one
involves a a dead congressman, and a friend of Welcome's, a Dr. Gary McHugh, who has been accused of the murder. There is evidence,
linking McHugh and he ends up cooling his heels in jail. OF course we all know that things are not always as they seem, and sometimes
there are bad guys to be found side by side with the good.

Political Suicide is a good fun read.. hooks you on the story from page one, and has the expected compelling characters. Once again Michael Palmer
pulls it off. I look forward to the next one!

recommended for an edge of the seat read that also has a little bit of heart.. I like this author. ( )
2 vote mckait | Jan 1, 2013 |

Supervising an unrepentant alcoholic doctor who has been implicated in the death of a powerful Congressman, Dr. Lou Welcome uncovers a wealth of incriminating facts, including the doctor's alleged affair with the victim's wife, before stumbling on a high-level conspiracy that places Lou's life at risk.… (more)

43 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,489,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible