Read or Die, Volume 1 by Hideyuki Kurata

Read or Die, Volume 1

by Hideyuki Kurata

Given my own bibliophile nature, when I stumbled across Volumes 2-4 at a thrift store (dollar a bag), I quickly purchased this volume and dug in the moment it arrived. And was, just as quickly, disappointed. It's a neat premise, but the execution is lacking. The villain seemed completely implausible, Yomiko is neither likable, nor a character I abhor - she's just, blah. The side characters are just as bland, and the plot seems contrived and unnecessarily dramatic. There is also a strange bit where Yomiko tries on a bunch of clothes? Anyway, sadly disappointed in this first volume. However, since there are only 4, I'll read all of them, with the hope that the story improves in future volumes ( )
  empress8411 | Jan 22, 2016 |
This manga was the basis for the movie R.O.D. In it we meet agent paper, a true bibliophile who's love for books borders on the scary. This book is comparable to Misery, with a villian kidnapping Yumiko's favorite author so that he can "help" her write better. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
I love almost everything about Yomiko: her character, her relationship with Nenene, her glasses. I also loved this line: "a bibliophile is an alchemist of the soul." However, I am more in love with the art of Read or Dream than I am with the art of Read or Die. But, I do have to mention the amazing Yomiko cosplay! ( )
  Marjorie_Jensen | Nov 12, 2015 |

R. O. D. (Read or Die) is about a substitute teacher, named Yomiko Readman (codename: The Paper). Her house is filled with books. When she's not teaching, she spends her free time searching for more books to fill her collection. She lives in a world surrounded only by books; her life exists entirely for the purpose of reading. This must sound pretty boring, but really, Yomiko is a secret agent for the Royal British Library's Division of Special Operations. After buying her newest addition to her book collection, she ran into a giant cricket and old man who try to steal the book. Her organization assigns her a new partner and she is able to get the second volume of the rare book. She is not too happy that she has to quit her substituting job, but she is ready for the new assignment. Teaming up with the dark Ms. Deep and Drake Anderson, and lead by the introspective Joker, this group of super heroes must uncover the sinister plot before more thefts occur.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,470,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible