Sunrunner's Fire (Dragon Prince) by…

Sunrunner's Fire (Dragon Prince) (original 1990; edition 1992)

by Melanie Rawn (Author)

Member:Ygraine
Title:Sunrunner's Fire (Dragon Prince)
Authors:Melanie Rawn (Author)
Info:Tor (1992), Edition: New edition, 480 pages
Collections:To read
Tags:Fiction, Speculative Fiction, Fantasy

Sunrunner's Fire by Melanie Rawn (1990)

Recently added byKjelsen, TaraWood, eloquinn, Ozzybald, Nathan.Osborn, Merrika, jrob007, carni5c8, private library, MilesER

It took me a while to get into this, because I’m terrible at keeping up with series, and it has been a while since I read the previous Dragon Prince book. But, kudos to Melanie Rawn for creating such a memorable world and characters, because by the first couple of chapters I’d gotten my footing and could read the story without looking up who everyone was. (Thank goodness for character directories in fantasy novels!)

Overall, I really enjoyed this series as a whole. The world is wonderful and I love how Rawn is able to create such different, vibrant characters. There are dozens of strong, independent women who are able to hold their own even in this brutal society, and in this book, she introduces a female character who isn’t so strong-willed, which was a nice change of pace, and I like that we got to see that someone can be strong and brave without being stubborn and physically or mentally powerful.

My favorite part of this is the tension between Andry and his family. It’s masterfully grey, where his family supports him as a person, but doesn’t necessarily agree with his tactics as Lord of Goddess Keep. For me, this is the most interesting dynamic within the whole story, especially when you throw in his relationship with Pol. I’m interested in seeing this further developed in the sequel series.

I do think that this book suffers a bit from not having high enough stakes. The drama is there, but the danger isn’t, since the characters are overly smart and powerful, there really isn’t much of a question of how everything is going to turn out. It’s exciting and interesting, but there isn’t as much tension as there could be. It’s also a bit tough to keep up with things since there are huge year jumps. I appreciate not being walked through every boring thing, but I wish there were more of a transition so the reader can get a feel of the time passing.

Overall, this is a decent fantasy. Wonderful characters, beautifully crafted world, and a plot that works and provides enough excitement to be entertained. I am planning to eventually read the sequel series and hope it only gets better!

Also posted on Purple People Readers. ( )
  sedelia | Oct 3, 2018 |
Yet another gripping continuation of this series. While this was the last book in the Dragon Prince series, I'm glad there is the followup series, that I'll be starting next. Melanie Rawn knows how to draw the reader in, and keep them in her world. I would definitely recommend this series to anyone who enjoys this type of Fantasy genre. Dragons, magic, sword & sorcery, and great political intrigue. ( )
  jimpike69 | Nov 16, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
The story of the High Prince Rohan, who endeavors to transform the continent on which he rules into a land ruled by law, and his wife Sioned, a powerful and fiery Sunrunner, continues in this volume of Melanie Rawn series. With the political infighting and internal family conflicts typical of this series, this novel brings the tension between Sunrunners and those of the Old Blood to a critical level in the form of a battle between Rohan's heir Pol and one of the few surviving grandsons of the old High Prince Rolestra. Pol faces revelations about his own past and abilities, which he must use in order to defeat his enemy, who is not who he thinks he is. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Dec 15, 2012 |
DRAGON PRINCE
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |

Melanie Rawnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Siegrist, MartyMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my uncle Gordon Alderson Fisk
The immense emerald caught and concentrated the fire of the setting sun into a fierce glow alive with green-gold light.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0886774039, Mass Market Paperback)

It began with the discovery of The Star Scroll--the last repository of forgotten spells of sorcery. Now, as Andry, the new Sunrunner Lord of Goddess Keep, begins to master this potentially deadly knowledge and Pol, son of High Prince Rohan, seeks to touch the minds of dragons, their enemy is mobilizes to strike with forbidden lore and treachery.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:57 -0400)

The discovery of the Star Scroll, a repository of forgotten spells of sorcery, threatens the Sunrunners as Andry attempts to master the ancient knowledge, Pol seeks to touch the minds of dragons, and an old enemey reawakens.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,278,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible