More Baths Less Talking: Notes from the…

More Baths Less Talking: Notes from the Reading Life of a Celebrated… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Nick Hornby

Member:dastevens
Title:More Baths Less Talking: Notes from the Reading Life of a Celebrated Author Locked in Battle with Football, Family, and Time Itself
Authors:Nick Hornby
Info:McSweeney's, Believer Books (2012), Paperback, 135 pages
Tags:non-fiction, essays, books/reading, author-England

More Baths Less Talking: Notes from the Reading Life of a Celebrated Author Locked in Battle with Football, Family, and Time Itself by Nick Hornby (2012)

English (23)  Italian (1)  All languages (24)
Hornby has such a good format- list (Books I've Read/Books I've Bought), self-deprecating humor and genuine passion for seemingly all subject matter. He is a terrific guide and I want to read everything he's read. I realize I won't make much of a dent in my own Books Bought pile if I keep reading reviews though. ( )
  ltfitch1 | Jun 5, 2016 |
Nick Hornby writes a column on and off, 'Stuff I've Been Reading", for The Believer magazine, and this is another book in a series collecting those columns.
Each month the column starts with the list of books bought the past month, and the list of books read.
They don't often overlap. And the former list is invariably longer than the latter. So already I know I like this guy. He too has problems controlling his book buying. (I wonder what the bibliophile equivalent of 'my eyes are bigger than my belly' is...)
And then he just chats. About the books he read, maybe why he chose that particular one, possibly telling us how it fit into his life at that moment, what he liked about it, maybe about how it inspired him for something, or not. This is what makes the columns interesting -- he is writing about that interface between him and the reading of the book.
He's funny, affable, intelligent, well read, and not pretentious.
Of course, the drawback or side effect of reading such a book is that now my own TBR list has needlessly but predictably grown yet longer.
Like I needed that. ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
Nick Hornby is one of my favorite contemporary fiction writers. More Baths Less Talking: Notes from the Reading Life of a Celebrated Author Locked in Battle with Football, Family, is not fiction but rather a collection of book reviews that he wrote for THE BELIEVER. They are a joy to read. He writes as if you are with him and he is talking to you. I find his book reviews chatty and seductive. A must read for a lover of books. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Jan 10, 2015 |
I have never read Believer Magazine, which is where Nick Hornby's book reviews are initially published, but I love the collections that come out from these columns. More Baths Less Talking presents his columns from May 2010 to Nov/Dec 2011.

Each column begins with lists of the books he purchased that month and what he actually read during that month -- then he proceeds to discuss. But, Hornby brings in his thoughts also, and not just about books. He is often very funny. I love his humor. He'll say things that make me nod in agreement.

This book is so quote-worthy and I shared some of my favorites with my husband who doesn't seem to "get" Hornby as much as I do, but I know I am not alone in appreciating him -- after all, if I were, he would be out of work as a book columnist. His novels? I've only read About a Boy and it didn't make me want to hurry up and read his other novels although I'm sure I will get to them eventually. But his columns are just awesome.

Here's some quote-worthiness:

"Great writing is going on all around us, always has done, always will." (p. 63)

About Colum McCann's "Let the Great World Spin" he says:

"It's a rich, warm, deeply felt and imagined book, destined, I think, to be loved for a long time. Regrettably, however, McCann makes a very small mistake relating to popular music toward the beginning, and, as has happened so many times before, I spent way too long muttering at both the novel and the author. I must stress, once again -- because this has come up before -- that my inability to forgive negligible errors of this kind is a disfiguring disease, and I am determined to find a cure for it; I mention it here merely to explain why a book I liked a lot has not become a book that I have bought over and over again, to press on anybody who happens to be passing by. And it would be unforgivably small-minded to go into it....Ach. Donovan wasn't an Irish folk singer, OK? He was a Scottish hippie, and I hate myself." (p. 69)

I can relate, and got a good laugh out of this...for instance I hate it when I watch a period movie and the hairstyles are all wrong for that era. It is something that really, really bugs me, and also especially book covers that depict the wrong era from what the actual setting is. By the way, Let the Great World Spin is still in my TBR pile, so if Hornby liked it this much (even in spite of that small detail) I will have to get to it soon.

"The trouble with history, it seems to me, is that too many people are involved. The next time something historical happens, someone should thin out the cast list." (p. 123)

"If Dickens were writing today, some journalist somewhere would be obliged to point out that he was living the rock-star life; there's always a slightly disapproving wistfulness to this observation when it's made about Neil Gaiman or David Sedaris or one of the other authors who routinely pack out theaters on reading tours, as if it betokens something unspeakably vulgar about our modern world. And yet, Dickens got there first.... " (p. 133)

Hornby's admiration for Dickens' work makes me want to reacquaint myself with his writings. Not all books that Hornby discusses are ones I want to read now, but I love his thought processes about all of the ones he mentions in his columns. ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | Oct 26, 2014 |
I loved this book and I love Nick Hornby's writing. I am obsessive about books and Nick's column in THE BELIEVER is terrific. This volume includes two years or so of his columns. He tells you every book he bought each month and if he read it he shares his feelings on the book. His tone is conversational and no one does it better than he. I try to read everything he has written. It is as if he is talking to you the reader personally which is very appealing. If you are into books and into clever writing about books do read it. It is not strictly book reviews which can be tedious. Hornby is anything but tedious. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Aug 19, 2014 |

Shares selections from the author's column in "The Believer" that discuss books he has bought and books he has read, and offers suggestions for great reads in every genre.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,717,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible