More Baths Less Talking: Notes from the…

More Baths Less Talking: Notes from the Reading Life of a Celebrated… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Nick Hornby

Member:dastevens
Title:More Baths Less Talking: Notes from the Reading Life of a Celebrated Author Locked in Battle with Football, Family, and Time Itself
Authors:Nick Hornby
Info:McSweeney's, Believer Books (2012), Paperback, 135 pages
Tags:non-fiction, essays, books/reading, author-England

More Baths Less Talking: Notes from the Reading Life of a Celebrated Author Locked in Battle with Football, Family, and Time Itself by Nick Hornby (2012)

English (25)  Italian (1)  All (26)
This is the third of Hornby's books collecting his columns relating to books and reading. I very much enjoy his take on books and life in general, but I find myself rationing my reading of them because I can take his snarkiness in only moderate doses. He frequently says that the magazine he works for does not permit him to say mean things about books and people, but he sometimes manages to get around this stricture. The amazing thing about his books to me is that he makes everything he reads sound totally fascinating, an absolute must-read. And that's how Austerity Britain: 1945-51 by David Kyaston ended up on my Kindle. I'm sure I won't be able to put it down when I get to it. ( )
  arubabookwoman | Apr 18, 2017 |
Only Hornby could make me want to read a book called Austerity:Britain. A treasure trove of his book column for Believer magazine. My to read pile has just grown by 15. ( )
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |
Hornby has such a good format- list (Books I've Read/Books I've Bought), self-deprecating humor and genuine passion for seemingly all subject matter. He is a terrific guide and I want to read everything he's read. I realize I won't make much of a dent in my own Books Bought pile if I keep reading reviews though. ( )
  ltfitch1 | Jun 5, 2016 |
Nick Hornby writes a column on and off, 'Stuff I've Been Reading", for The Believer magazine, and this is another book in a series collecting those columns.
Each month the column starts with the list of books bought the past month, and the list of books read.
They don't often overlap. And the former list is invariably longer than the latter. So already I know I like this guy. He too has problems controlling his book buying. (I wonder what the bibliophile equivalent of 'my eyes are bigger than my belly' is...)
And then he just chats. About the books he read, maybe why he chose that particular one, possibly telling us how it fit into his life at that moment, what he liked about it, maybe about how it inspired him for something, or not. This is what makes the columns interesting -- he is writing about that interface between him and the reading of the book.
He's funny, affable, intelligent, well read, and not pretentious.
Of course, the drawback or side effect of reading such a book is that now my own TBR list has needlessly but predictably grown yet longer.
Like I needed that. ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
Nick Hornby is one of my favorite contemporary fiction writers. More Baths Less Talking: Notes from the Reading Life of a Celebrated Author Locked in Battle with Football, Family, is not fiction but rather a collection of book reviews that he wrote for THE BELIEVER. They are a joy to read. He writes as if you are with him and he is talking to you. I find his book reviews chatty and seductive. A must read for a lover of books. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Jan 10, 2015 |

Shares selections from the author's column in "The Believer" that discuss books he has bought and books he has read, and offers suggestions for great reads in every genre.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,465,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible