More Baths Less Talking: Notes from the…

More Baths Less Talking: Notes from the Reading Life of a Celebrated… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Nick Hornby

Member:dastevens
Title:More Baths Less Talking: Notes from the Reading Life of a Celebrated Author Locked in Battle with Football, Family, and Time Itself
Authors:Nick Hornby
Info:McSweeney's, Believer Books (2012), Paperback, 135 pages
Tags:non-fiction, essays, books/reading, author-England

More Baths Less Talking: Notes from the Reading Life of a Celebrated Author Locked in Battle with Football, Family, and Time Itself by Nick Hornby (2012)

Brilliant, funny, insightful...a great way to get inspired for a year of reading. ( )
  katherinesayre | Oct 22, 2013 |
Nick Hornby is now officially on my dinner party list, that list of people who I would invite to my house for dinner and scintillating conversation (despite the fact that my dinner table only seats 4 and my "fancy dishes" are from Target). I love Nick Hornby's fiction ([Juliet, Naked] is my favorite), but I'd never read his non-fiction. This book is a collection of monthly columns about reading from The Believer. Hornby begins each column with a list of books that he read that month and a list of books that he purchased that month, and then he discusses what he read. The columns are conversational, almost like chatting with a wise and witty friend. And who doesn't love to hear the answer to "Tell me what you've been reading lately," especially when the answer comes from someone like Hornby. I'll be looking for more of Hornby's columns. ( )
  porch_reader | Aug 1, 2013 |
For readers who enjoyed Hornby's previous essay collections from The Believer - The Polysyllabic Spree, Housekeeping vs. the Dirt, Shakespeare Wrote for Money - this is, satisfyingly, more of the same. No matter whether the books Hornby's reading would interest you or not, he always has interesting things to say about them, and more often than not you end up curious to read them after all. As usual, his transitions are thin-to-nonexistent, which can be jarring, but one adapts.

I was excited to see Will Grayson, Will Grayson on the "Books Bought" list one month, but it never appeared on the "Books Read" list. Sad.

Books on which to follow up:

The Child That Books Built, Francis Spufford (p. 19)
How to Live, Sarah Bakewell (p. 59)
Book of Days, Emily Fox Gordon (p. 61)
My Name is Mina; Skellig David Almond (p. 94)
Niagara Falls All Over Again Elizabeth McCracken (p. 107)
Ten Thousand Saints Eleanor Henderson (p. 119)

"Ten Thousand Saints is the offspring of Lester Bangs and Anne Tyler, and who wouldn't want to read that baby?" (p. 119)

Quotes:

Re: American Rust: "And, unlike most first-time novelists, [Philipp] Meyer knows that we're all going to die, and that before we do so we are going to mess up our lives somehow." (p. 21)

"Influential books are often a disappointment, if they're properly influential, because influence cannot guarantee the quality of the imitators, and your appetite for the original has been partially sated by its poor copies." (p. 37)

"Great writing is going on all around us, always has done, always will." (63)

"What happened in between? Other books, is what happened." (p. 82)

Re: Whoops!/I.O.U. by John Lanchester: One authoritative market commentator puts the cost of the bailout in the U.S. at just over $4.5 trillion - a number "bigger than the Marshall Plan, the Louisiana Purchase, the Apollo moon landings, the 1980s savings and loan crisis, the Korean War, the New Deal, the invasion of Iraq, the Vietnam War, and the total cost of NASA's space flights, all added together."

JennyArch | Apr 3, 2013 |
I could read about what Nick Hornby has been reading all day. In fact, I have. Good stuff. ( )
  eenee | Apr 2, 2013 |
I love Nick Hornby! These book essays are funny and thoughtful and perceptive. ( )
  tippycanoegal | Apr 1, 2013 |

Shares selections from the author's column in "The Believer" that discuss books he has bought and books he has read, and offers suggestions for great reads in every genre.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,653,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible