x0 by Sherrie Cronin
6320273,176 (4.07)2

This book has everything I look for in a good read: characters you care about, exotic location, culture details, and unique theme. The author points out that although this is fiction, cultural and scientific information is true. I enjoyed the window into Nigerian life and was, likewise, horrified by the abuses the county has suffered at the hands of foreign powers. At the forefront, though, were the family relationships and ESP connections. I look forward to subsequent books in the series. ( )
  ChezJanet | Apr 24, 2018 |
I received a copy of this book through LibraryThing's Giveaway.

First off let me say this genre of book is not one that I would usually read. So it did take a little more effort on my part to start and finish this book. I ended up with mix feelings about this book.

Understandably, this book was originally designed to be read on an electronic reader so it does allow readers to access additional resources. This unfortunately does not transition too well into paperback book, but it doesn't really take away from the overall storyline too much.

It was certainly an interesting read about telepathy and how 2 women from different continents are able to communicate with each other. The storyline was intriguing enough for me to continue onwards, I was especially eager to know the fates of the females, especially how they use their telepathy as they come to accept and develop it. The descriptions of the horrors inflicted on Nwanyi and how she was being groomed for a larger purpose was so disturbing that I gasped out loud several times and had to shake myself from the horrific things I was reading. I enjoyed reading some of the history and background about Nigeria, so much so that it motivated me to read up more about it afterwards. I enjoy the interactions between all of the primary and most of the secondary characters (some characters could be developed a bit more). The x0 organization was well thought out and very convincingly developed.

There were a few things that I didn't enjoy too much. For one, while I do appreciate the author trying to provide as much background and informative information on telepathy, all the FAQ stuff went beyond my understanding (not that I really tried), so much so that I skipped through it, although this might just be a personal preference. For another, I feel like parts of the story was trying too hard to make a connection with the younger readers, like Michael Jackson dying on the same day something life changing happens to one of the characters, details trying to connect celebrity to an event was unnecessary. Another thing was, I felt like the epilogue was too vague and borderline pointless. Either cut it out entirely or add a bit more information, like what happened to the sisters in the years following? In terms of the character development of some of the characters require further development, I was curious to know more about this guy following Lola to try and find dirt on Zane, would love to have heard more on that. And finally I was sort of disappointed with how Djimon and his associates were dealt with, to me it felt like it the readers were left to wonder they will move onto another "figure head" or will all of them ever be caught and punished for their radical ideas.

Overall, this book was a decent read, it just wasn't for me, maybe someone else who has an interest in telepathy and science (oil drilling) might enjoy this book. ( )
  Dream24 | Jan 6, 2016 |
I got this book as a give away from good reads. I was waiting badly to read the book as it was something about telepathy. Alas! the book really lived up to my expectation. The writer has clearly done her research. The characters of lola and Nwayni are really intense while the character of Somadina and Djimon could have been slightly worked upon better. Nevertheless, the transition of story between Africa and America was smooth and the plot overall was well woven. ( )
  bookandink | Aug 19, 2015 |
The ancient group x0 hides in the shadows until a young Nigerian beauty forces them to emerge. Thinking that her telepathic abilities are perfectly normal, this young Igbo woman named Somadina draws upon her powers to seek an ally to rescue her captive sister. Unfortunately, the telepath she finds is cranky Texan lady who doesn't believe in nonsense and who insists that the disturbing phenomenon in her own mind isn't there.

Once Somadina realizes that her sister has become a strategic pawn in a dangerous game of international politics, she vows to do anything to get the attention of this uncooperative fellow psychic. x0 would like to ignore them both, but as the two women struggle with each other, they both become more powerful. While a fringe fanatic puts his plan in place, common links begin to forge these two radically different women together in ways even x0 barely understands

Amazing book ; I highly recommend it ! It was definitely a great mixture between reality and fantasy . ( )
  Imane. | Nov 4, 2014 |
I was given this book for an honest review.

I wasn't sure what my opinion of this book would be at the beginning, I haven't really read anything like it before. I went into this book with an open mind and knowing that I get into a lot of books the more I read.

I felt this book was well written and you could tell that the author spent a lot of her time getting the facts right and making this book as factual as she possible could. I did however feel at some points in the book bits were over exaggerated. I did skip over a lot of the educational parts of the story. I read this to the end but I feel my heart wasn't in it much I feel if I was to read it over again I would feel differently. I would rate this book 3 1/2 out of five stars.

(If I read this book through again I will try and write another review if my view changes) ( )
  naomixbray | Sep 17, 2014 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Sherrie Cronin's book x0 was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Sherrie Cronin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,790,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible