dismiss

One of One by Sherrie Cronin

One of One

by Sherrie Cronin

Series: 46. Ascending (1)

The ancient group x0 hides in the shadows until a young Nigerian beauty forces them to emerge. Thinking that her telepathic abilities are perfectly normal, this Igbo woman draws upon her powers to seek an ally to rescue her captive sister. Unfortunately, the telepath she finds is cranky Texan lady who doesn't believe in nonsense and who insists that the disturbing phenomenon in her own mind isn't there. Realizing that her sister has become a strategic pawn in a dangerous game of international politics, she vows to do anything to get the attention of this uncooperative fellow psychic. As the women struggle with each other, common links begin to forge these two radically different women together in ways that even x0 does not understand. They could intervene, but should they?… (more)

I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Much better than I expected, although I did not like the sudden ending. I felt it should have flowed together a little better and had more details. The Nigerian conflict was great to read about, and the telepathy was a nice addition. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
This book has an interesting plot with alternating point of views. It's interesting to see how the author makes two women from opposite sides of the world connect with each other. Would recommend for anyone looking for a good urban fantasy with telepaths. ( )
  alieceey | Mar 24, 2019 |
The author explores telepathic abilities through the thoughts and lives of two women, one from Texas, and the other from Nigeria. Lola is twenty-six year old geophysicist who finds herself being mentally contacted by Somadina, who desperately needs help. Cronin uses the connection to describe the social conditions, customs, and expectations the two women and Somadina’s sister face. The story takes a sudden turn when an organization called x0 gets involved in their lives. Overall, the characters and the plot were interesting. ( )
  bemislibrary | Dec 2, 2018 |
A little bit of a slow start. It is hard to see how these characters are going to tie together at the beginning, but then nobody is further than six degrees apart anymore. There are a lot of things to learn about how culture influences the acceptance of the unusual. Maybe there would be more of these powers if they were more accepted? Good characters, nice premise, but what happened to Djimon? His thread is left dangling. Maybe in the next book... ( )
  bgknighton | Aug 10, 2018 |
This book has everything I look for in a good read: characters you care about, exotic location, culture details, and unique theme. The author points out that although this is fiction, cultural and scientific information is true. I enjoyed the window into Nigerian life and was, likewise, horrified by the abuses the county has suffered at the hands of foreign powers. At the forefront, though, were the family relationships and ESP connections. I look forward to subsequent books in the series. ( )
  ChezJanet | Apr 24, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

This story is dedicated to my father, who loved and encouraged his two daughters with all his heart. Driving with him across Western Kansas talking about science fiction is my best childhood memory and was my first inspiration to write a novel.
It is also dedicated to my Nigerian coworkers and friends, with thanks for reminding me every day how the ways we are all alike are so much bigger than the ways we are different.
Who was making those noises?

Somadina is a young Nigerian who thinks that her telepathic abilities are perfectly normal. When her sister becomes a captive, the young Igbo woman draws upon her powers to find an ally. Across an ocean, Lola is a Texan geophysicist who doesn't believe in nonsense. But an unexpected lay-off and a near fatal accident have combined to reintroduce into her mind a disturbing phenomenon. Lola disregards it. Medicates it. Analyzes ti. However, the changes taking place inside her will not be ignored.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Sherrie Cronin's book x0 was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Sherrie Cronin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,655,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible