The Light Keeper's Legacy (A Chloe Ellefson…

The Light Keeper's Legacy (A Chloe Ellefson Mystery) (edition 2012)

by Kathleen Ernst

Member:ethel55
Title:The Light Keeper's Legacy (A Chloe Ellefson Mystery)
Authors:Kathleen Ernst
Info:MIDNIGHT INK (2012), Paperback, 360 pages
Rating:***
Tags:mystery, Wisconsin, historical

The Light Keeper's Legacy (A Chloe Ellefson Mystery) by Kathleen Ernst

Interesting story and I enjoyed the parallel historical story ( )
  MichaelKelberer | Aug 21, 2013 |
Chloe Ellefson leaves Old World Wisconsin in this story and heads to Wisconsin's Door County to live as a consultant for a week at an historic lighthouse on Rock Island. Accessible only by boat, Chloe is cut off from the real world and able to immerse herself in the historical nature of her job by reading former lighthouse keeper's journals. A dead body in the present leads to Ernst's interspersing the tale of new immigrants to the fishing world of the island in the 1800's, with secrets of their own. We actually have a great grandfather in our lineage who was a fisherman out of Port Washington and was lost on Lake Michigan in the 1880's, so I found the historical story to be quite interesting. ( )
  ethel55 | Jan 13, 2013 |
First Line: "This trip of yours is a very bad idea," Roelke said soberly.

It's 1982, and against her boyfriend Roelke McKenna's better judgment, Chloe Ellefson loads her Pinto (including the copy of A Is for Alibi that Roelke gave her) and heads for Rock Island State Park off the coast of Wisconsin in Lake Michigan. Her expertise as a collections curator is needed by the folks who want to bring Pottawatomie Lighthouse back to life for all its visitors.

It's good that she's needed elsewhere because Chloe is stressed out, both at work with a boss who drives her crazy, and at home with a boyfriend who wants a commitment that she's not sure she's ready to give.

When the ferry lands at Rock Island and Chloe makes the trek to the lighthouse, she finds it in the midst of being restored-- ladders and paint buckets lying around, no water, and no electricity. She doesn't mind at all, and dives into the history of the place. But when she finds a young woman's body washed up on the beach, everything starts to change. At first thinking that the girl's death is an accidental drowning, Chloe keeps digging into the lighthouse's history, finding two tough, independent women that fire her imagination. Then another body is found. Has local tension over tighter fishing regulations reached flash point? If Chloe's not careful, she could find herself trapped on the island with a killer.

I've been interested in the history of the Great Lakes ever since I heard Gordon Lightfoot sing "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" back in 1976. I've loved lighthouses even longer than that, so when I learned that the action of this book would take place at a Great Lakes lighthouse, I knew I had to read it. I'm glad I did.

Kathleen Ernst does an excellent job of blending the history of the area, of the lighthouse and its keepers, and of ever-changing fishing regluations that have fueled controversy for well over a century. Her setting of a lighthouse on a small remote island adds just the right touch of atmosphere.

She alternates the story of Chloe in 1982 with the stories of a female assistant light keeper and a Scandinavian woman who first came to Rock Island in the 1860s-- and each story, each time frame, is equally intriguing. In fact, I was so interested in the lives of the two earlier women that--even though I enjoyed seeing a collections curator at work and I wanted to figure out who was committing the murders-- I forgot to pay close enough attention to the modern storyline and missed several important clues.

If you're in the mood for atmosphere, history, remote islands, lighthouses and a strong, independent woman experiencing it all, get a copy of The Light Keeper's Legacy. Yes, it's the third book in the series, but you won't be confused, and you may even do what I did: start looking for the other books in the series. ( )
  cathyskye | Oct 9, 2012 |
Loved the book. Great summer read.
  patti_christell | Jun 26, 2012 |
Chloe Ellefson, curator of collections for Old World Wisconsin, is hoping for a respite from her overcomplicated work and personal life when she accepts a week-long consulting gig at another Wisconsin historic site.  Rock Island State Park's rustic charm is just the thing Chloe needs to unwind.  But, when she discovers a dead body on her first night on the island, it's clear that Chloe has more to worry about than just preparing a furnishing plan for the site's historic lighthouse.

The Light Keeper's Legacy is a pretty standard cozy mystery, plot wise. Chloe is an interesting character and not just because she's a museum professional. She has some weird sixth sense, a "gift of perception," that guides her in both her museum interpretation and in her sleuthing (though I will say that I wasn't all that keen on this part of her character, except in one very specific case, which I can't explain without including spoilers). Beyond that, Chloe has also got what seems to be a complex backstory that keeps her from being completely sure of herself.

The best part of The Light Keeper's Legacy was Ernst's use of the split narrative. I enjoyed the juxtaposition between Chloe's 1980s and time period she's trying to research (mid-late 19th century). I found the historical sections and the historical characters to be some of the most compelling parts of the novel.

The Light Keeper's Legacy is the third book in Kathleen Ernst's Chloe Ellefson Mysteries (after Old World Murder and The Heirloom Murders). I liked The Light Keeper's Legacy enough that I got Old World Murder from the library.

The Light Keeper's Legacy will be released in October 2012.

See full review on my blog
  morsecode | Jun 20, 2012 |

Past and Present Collide Beyond Death’s Door

Solitude at last! Museum curator Chloe Ellefson leaps at the opportunity to be a consultant for the historic lighthouse restoration project on Rock Island, a state park in Wisconsin’s scenic Door County. Hoping to leave her personal and professional problems at home, Chloe’s tranquility is suddenly spoiled when a dead woman washes ashore. Determined to find answers behind the mystery, Chloe dives into research about the island’s history and discovers the amazing, resilient women who once lived there. But will the link between the past and present turn out to be a beacon of hope or a portent of doom?

Praise:
"Kathleen Ernst wraps history with mystery in a fresh and compelling read.”—Jane Kirkpatrick, New York Times bestselling author

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:01 -0400)

An island's history holds clues to a modern murder. Solitude at last! Museum curator Chloe Ellefson jumps at the chance to spend time on Wisconsin's Rock Island, a state park with no electricity or roads. Hired as a consultant for a project to restore the island's lighthouse, her research turns up fascinating tough-as-nails women from the past. Chloe's tranquility is spoiled when a dead woman washes ashore. Is it just another accidental drowning? Or has tension over tighter fishing regulations reached a dangerous boiling point? When a second body is found, Chloe finds herself trapped on remote Rock Island with a killer.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,473,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible