dismiss

Homeland (2013)

by Cory Doctorow

Series: Little Brother (2)

When Marcus, once called M1k3y, receives a thumbdrive containing evidence of corporate and governmental treachery, his job, fame, family, and well-being, as well as his reform-minded employer's election campaign, are all endangered.

English (40)  French (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (43)
This wasn't as good as the the first in the series (mostly cus I really don't care about Burning Man), but is still awesome. It pulls you in, makes you think, teaches you and leaves you wanting to DO something! ( )
  mitchtroutman | Jun 14, 2020 |
I took too much time getting to the sequel to Big Brother and I feel slightly ashamed. I loved seeing Mikey older and stressed out, feeling the gestalt of a world that had gotten darker and watching him barely scrape by.

Burning Man notwithstanding, which was both familiar and amusing, the main action and plot of the novel was full of Deep Message. Not bad, I don't mind that kind of thing, personally. But fortunately, the novel was so full of technogeekery and informaticofuckery that it nicely sidestepped the need to focus on plot.

It was all very amusing. I loved the novel on two fronts. It was very political and it was very nerdy. What's not to love? ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
some good educational material, but the plot is pretty weak ( )
  mvayngrib | Mar 22, 2020 |
Loved Little Brother and loved this sequel. Heartbreaking to read Aaron Swartz's afterword in light of how the government mercilessly hounded him to suicide. ( )
  Nikchick | Mar 21, 2020 |
  Nikchick | Mar 21, 2020 |
Mr. Doctorow is bang up-to-date (as Orwell never was) on the uses of rapidly changing technology, both good and bad. If you want to keep up, there's a four-page appendix on how to protect your privacy and use the Net productively—so long as you're allowed, that is.
added by sgump | editWall Street Journal, Tom Shippey (Feb 19, 2013)

Cory Doctorowprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shimizu, YukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Alice and Poesy, who make me whole.
Attending Burning Man made me simultaneously one of the most photographed people on the planet and one of the least surveilled humans in the modern world.

A current day story about teens use of technology that gets them mixed up with political campaigns, espionage, and hacking government documents. It was too long and drawn out with descriptions that would only appeal to like minded computer geeks.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,748,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible