Homeland by Cory Doctorow

Homeland (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Cory Doctorow

Authors:Cory Doctorow
Info:Tor Teen (2013), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:best of 2013, own, reviewed

Homeland by Cory Doctorow (2013)

Recently added byirishmbo, private library, AFBRA, jrobles76, nikisaurus, theliterarium, Ingo.Lembcke, RevBobMIB

English (28)  French (2)  All languages (30)
Started today July 10th, 2013.
A few days ago I bought Humble Bundle 2, getting [b:Little Brother|954674|Little Brother|Cory Doctorow|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1349673129s/954674.jpg|939584] which I already read for free and paid for it just now.
It occurred to me to look for other books from him, and although I have not read [b:Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom|29587|Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom|Cory Doctorow|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1316635583s/29587.jpg|1413] yet, this interested me more, being a sequel to Little Brother. Being new, it was for me to expensive at Amazon.De, over Eur 10. And while cheaper at Sony, I decided
to download it for free from his webpage. Nice touch, that you can read his book and decide later wether it is worth paying something for it - or not.
It also shows how much even a to me well-known author is worth, sorry, I do not pay 10 Eur or more for most e-books, I read a lot as it is.
The parts about bookshops where a bit much, also they seemed, at least a few of them, to be the same as in Little Brother.
The End was phhhhffff - anticlimatic.
So, only 4 stars, but nevertheless highly recommended, but not to read shortly after Little Brother, as they both share the same themes and the same structure.
First Afterword by Jacob Applebaum.
Eerie reading the second Afterword by Aaron Swartz, who hung himself January 2013. Read up on his case, there is a sad lesson there, which resonates deeply with the themes of the book.

Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
@homeland +little_brother ( )
  Lorem | Sep 24, 2015 |
ABR's original Homeland audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

“Just because I’m paranoid, doesn’t mean they aren’t out to get me.”

Homeland is the sequel to Little Brother, though the novel gives enough of the backstory for it to easily stand alone. If you would like a synopsis, please refer to the publisher’s review, it does an excellent job and would be redundant here. The title refers to The Homeland Security Agency (and the NSA) and their seemingly insatiable need to watch and capture every bit of information traveling the airwaves. Our beloved cell phones, smart pads and computers are as transparent to them as any window.

Doctorow writes with authority and confidence about all things high tech, that which currently exists and that which is just around the corner. The listener is easily and comfortably guided by the author’s expert grasp of the technological nature of the material, neither overwhelming us with it, nor pandering to us. You don’t have to be a high-tech geek to enjoy this novel, because it affects all of us. And that’s where it gets truly frightening; because it’s real, not SciFi, not distant future tech, not aliens, but here and now government surveillance, using our very own gadgets to watch us, catch us and maybe even control us.

After listening to this exciting and thoroughly enjoyable novel, this reviewer was shaken to his paranoid core. It’s real, only the characters and the storyline are fictionalized. There is no question that they are watching us, Edward Snowden convinced us of that. Now that we know, do we go back to sleep, or do we follow the advice in the several appendices of the book. Doctorow clearly practices what he preaches, even going so far as to keep this audiobook off of Audible.com because of its onerous digital rights policy, very likely harming his own audiobook’s sales.

Wil Wheaton (yes Wesley Crusher on Star Trek TNG) does an amazing job reading the novel. There is even a part of the story where the main character meets Wheaton. This self-referential bon mot cracks the forth wall for a moment, something Doctorow seems to enjoy in this and his other books. Unfortunately, this excellent performance by Wheaten is slightly marred by the occasional lip smack or dry mouth noises that should have been removed in post-production. Fortunately, it is faint and should go unnoticed with ordinary ear phones or in a car. Don’t let this minor flaw keep you from enjoying an excellent performance.

If you enjoy high-tech novels, with all-too-human characters, this is a must read. Authentic, informative, exciting, and way too real. Homeland is paranoia developed to an art form.

Audiobook purchased for for review by ABR. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Jun 18, 2015 |
I read this book last week of March and used it in my CJ 200 Class it is a fiction but shockingly real compared to what is currently happening in our country a must read for all ages and everyone who is an American Citizen with concerns about our Govt. and Privacy rights ( )
  redheadish | Jun 12, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this audio book. Wil Wheaton's reading is both a piece of art and a brilliant interpretation of Cory Doctorow's book. Even if I dissed Wil's Australian accent - however as Cory tweeted back to me "it is meant to be a computer used Australian Accent!"
In this sequel to Little Brother we again follow Marcus as he battles government and business who conspire to control and beat the population down. Except this time Marcus joins forces with a political candidate who might just be able to make a difference.
My biggest concern with this book is how real it could be. I was oftener angered but the themes and actions in this story. To the point where I had to press pause and pull the headphones from my ears - and google pictures of puppies and cats!!!!
This is a powerful book and one that is a must read especially the extra bits at the end of the audio book!!!
Get it and enjoy!!! ( )
  Ben_Harnwell | Apr 26, 2015 |
Mr. Doctorow is bang up-to-date (as Orwell never was) on the uses of rapidly changing technology, both good and bad. If you want to keep up, there's a four-page appendix on how to protect your privacy and use the Net productively—so long as you're allowed, that is.
added by sgump | editWall Street Journal, Tom Shippey (Feb 19, 2013)
For Alice and Poesy, who make me whole.
Attending Burning Man made me simultaneously one of the most photographed people on the planet and one of the least surveilled humans in the modern world.

A current day story about teens use of technology that gets them mixed up with political campaigns, espionage, and hacking government documents. It was too long and drawn out with descriptions that would only appeal to like minded computer geeks.

When Marcus, once called M1k3y, receives a thumbdrive containing evidence of corporate and governmental treachery, his job, fame, family, and well-being, as well as his reform-minded employer's election campaign, are all endangered.

13 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible