Homeland by Cory Doctorow

Info:Tor Teen (2013), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:best of 2013, own, reviewed

Homeland by Cory Doctorow

Recently added byAlmquistcm, private library, Figgy87, trinalin, sci901, Awfki, paulnagy, fyrefly98, stxlibrary, Jack_Saucer

English (17)  French (2)  All languages (19)
I would say its by far the worst Cory Doctorow book i've read (and I've read a large number of them). It reads like an advertisement / fangasiming for all of his favorite things online. Lots of name dropping.

There are a large number of elements of the book I liked. I really want to build stuff, even tempted to try to get re-involved with the local hackerspace. I found the ending a bit disappointing.

I'm not sure I'd recommend it, but I don't regret reading it. ( )
  halkeye | Feb 6, 2014 |
Nice sequel to Little Brother, dealing again with government overreach and potential and actual abuse of power. ( )
  pbruiter | Jan 6, 2014 |
A sequel to Little Brother, this time involving the further mischief done by a contractor for Homeland Security, an election campaign that might restore hope after a disastrous economic collapse that took hope from young people and saddled them with debt, and a trove of incriminating documents that need to see the light of day - preferrably without landing our young hero in prison. Timely and thought-provoking. More thoughts at http://barbarafister.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/the-paranoid-style-in-american-lit... .
  bfister | Dec 23, 2013 |
Marcus gets mixed up in a world of espionage, political campaigns and protests due to his computer savvy manners. ( )
  stornelli | Dec 10, 2013 |
Homeland is the sequel to the equally phenomenal book Little Brother.
Both novels match the America we live in right now in ways I haven't read in other novels. Every horror is based on true programs and mercenary groups.

Marcus has matured and grown up since we last saw in Little Brother. The world of Little Brother was like the one in 2001 where people were scared and allowed their freedoms to be trampled on. Marcus and his band of hackers took that step back and questioned what those freedoms meant and why we must safeguard them even in times of turmoil.

The world of Homeland is 2008 and on after the financial crisis, blackwater, wikileaks, occupy Wall Street and such are part of this story. Marcus parents have lost their jobs and he had to drop out of school. The book can be a bit dark at times if you’re living that life of uncertainty and fear. It is also hopeful, however, and you work out your own fears through Marcus. Even if you aren't daring enough to build your own computer system being involved in political process and engaging in protests are very much part of the fight. Homeland reads as more adult; he is 19 as opposed to a teenager in Little Brother, for this reason. I think it might be more accessible to those turned off from the techy aspects of Little Brother.

I didn't read this book as quickly as I did Little Brother because it was darker [being tortured in a secret prison notwithstanding since the fight was more obvert and subtle than in Little Brother. It was in no way less satisfying towards the end, anyway, because it was something we could all do, but I did get depressed. This is the dystopian we all actually live in as opposed to the victory fight we hope to see played out in YA dystopian novels. The Marcus of Little Brother was the hero we all hope will stand up and do the work for us. Marcus of Homeland is us and we all need to do the work to fix our country.

The end was quite cathartic and inspirational. We can do it, hopefully, change the two party system and maybe not everyone in the system is crooked.

I was quite interested in the method of persona management that online trolls use to thwart the public from taking these leaks about government corruption seriously. There are a few commentators on Glenn Greenwald's articles I have no doubt are part of that cog.
I'd love to see a third book based on the Ed Snowden leaks.
How would Marcus and co take down the mass media being bought and paid for by the Carrie Johnstones of the world?

The Aaron Swartz afterward brought tears to my eyes.
I loved this book. ( )
  peptastic | Nov 10, 2013 |
Mr. Doctorow is bang up-to-date (as Orwell never was) on the uses of rapidly changing technology, both good and bad. If you want to keep up, there's a four-page appendix on how to protect your privacy and use the Net productively—so long as you're allowed, that is.
added by sgump | editWall Street Journal, Tom Shippey (Feb 19, 2013)

For Alice and Poesy, who make me whole.
Attending Burning Man made me simultaneously one of the most photographed people on the planet and one of the least surveilled humans in the modern world.

A current day story about teens use of technology that gets them mixed up with political campaigns, espionage, and hacking government documents. It was too long and drawn out with descriptions that would only appeal to like minded computer geeks.

When Marcus, once called M1k3y, receives a thumbdrive containing evidence of corporate and governmental treachery, his job, fame, family, and well-being, as well as his reform-minded employer's election campaign, are all endangered.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible