Homeland by Cory Doctorow

Homeland (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Cory Doctorow

Member:usagijihen
Title:Homeland
Authors:Cory Doctorow
Info:Tor Teen (2013), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:best of 2013, own, reviewed

Homeland by Cory Doctorow (2013)

English (31)  French (2)  Hungarian (1)  All (34)
This sequel to 'Little Brother' joins Marcus Yallow some years after the events of Little Brother, still trying to extricate himself from the evil clutches of the security services.
Does not have the punch of the first entry, though I am minded to try cold filtered coffee!
  orkydd | Feb 2, 2017 |
Disappointing, but still entertaining. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Im not even sure how to review Little Brother and Homeland on a pure writing level. There's just so much good information and so many interesting ideas in there. I absolutely recommend these to people of any age as an introduction to privacy, activism, and making stuff with technology. I think they're really fun to read too. ( )
  typo180 | Jan 2, 2017 |
wow this is a well writen and researched book. lots of interest for the geek and normal alike, flows well and keeps you gripped. im adding this to my youthworker website and recommending it to young people and old people.

read it, then check out the guardian project for android.linux tails (replaced paranoid linux) they are watching you. ( )
  troyka | May 5, 2016 |
(All this review is based on comparison with the first book, Little Brother)

This is honest 3 / 5.
This book is more balanced, not like three separate books, the narration is smoother. Though I have problems with relating to the situation, because the setting was not the same type "it can happen to everyone" --- more like "it can happen in the spy movies."

Overall, even if I have a lot of to complain about, these books are my personal favorite. Doctorow found the thin line between not political and political. There are no certain ideas or propaganda "how everything should be" -- just observation of how bad the current system is. And even if some problems are mainly "US-ish", I can see implication and certain parallels to other countries. ( )
  aviskase | Nov 26, 2015 |
Mr. Doctorow is bang up-to-date (as Orwell never was) on the uses of rapidly changing technology, both good and bad. If you want to keep up, there's a four-page appendix on how to protect your privacy and use the Net productively—so long as you're allowed, that is.
added by sgump | editWall Street Journal, Tom Shippey (Feb 19, 2013)

Cory Doctorowprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shimizu, YukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alice and Poesy, who make me whole.
Attending Burning Man made me simultaneously one of the most photographed people on the planet and one of the least surveilled humans in the modern world.

A current day story about teens use of technology that gets them mixed up with political campaigns, espionage, and hacking government documents. It was too long and drawn out with descriptions that would only appeal to like minded computer geeks.

When Marcus, once called M1k3y, receives a thumbdrive containing evidence of corporate and governmental treachery, his job, fame, family, and well-being, as well as his reform-minded employer's election campaign, are all endangered.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,453,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible