Confessions of an Angry Girl (Harlequin…

Confessions of an Angry Girl (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2012)

by Louise Rozett

7919152,477 (3.79)None
Member:here.be.bookwyrms
Title:Confessions of an Angry Girl (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Louise Rozett
Info:Harlequin Teen (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:ebook
Rating:****1/2

Confessions of an Angry Girl (Harlequin Teen) by Louise Rozett

This is a YA book and although I am not a hug fan of them if they are not on the more mature side, this one hit a little close to home.

Back of book:

“ Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some confessions to make… 1) I’m livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I’m allowed to be irate, don’t you 2) I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who might be dating a cheerleader. She is now enraged out and out for blood. Mine. 3) High school might as well be Mars. My best friend and been replaced by an alien, and I see red all the time. (Mars is red and “seeing red” means being angry-get it?)

Here are some other vocab words that describe my life:
Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.

(Don’t know what they mean? Look them up yourself.) (Sorry. That was rude)

Each chapter starts off with a word to describe the chapter with its definition. The book is told from the POV of Rose, a fourteen-year-old high school freshman. She has all the problems all high school teens have with the added bonus of a lackluster home life. When a girl needs her family the most, they are not quit there for her and when she needs a shoulder, her best friend isn’t there. Freshman in homeroom get assigned to tables by last name, all the upper classman get to pick their tables first. Since Roses last name ends with a “Z” she ends up at a table with two other guys. One, she happens to remember from her older brothers Hockey team, Jamie. Just when Rose start’s to think that her long–time crush might be into her, she finds out he has a girlfriend, a cheerleader. When her best friend try’s out for the cheerleading squad, Rose just doesn’t feel as though she fits in anywhere and her heart is a little crushed. Rose may not need anyone to watch out for her, but when one of the most popular girls in school is out to get you, it doesn’t help. Filled with teenage angst and plenty of emotion, this book is very relatable to teens in high school. If I had not experienced a good bit of what happens to Rose myself, this would not have been as relatable, I have out grown my high school years by about ten. Over all, this is a well written book that will either show you what high school can be like, or make you reminisce and not always in a good way. Confessions of an Angry Girl will make you want to yell and say “Oh No, Why did you just do that”, it may make you shed a few tears (like I might have), and you may want to throw a few punches too. This is the first book in a series and I will have to continue on to find out what happens. If YA books are your thing than come walk the halls with Rose, and see what things an Angry Girl has to confess.

** This book was purchased from the publishers website ( )
  Hbeck | Aug 19, 2014 |

Back of book:

Here are some other vocab words that describe my life:
Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.

(Don’t know what they mean? Look them up yourself.) (Sorry. That was rude)

** This book was purchased from the publishers website ( )
  Hbeck | Aug 19, 2014 |
I had moderately high expectations for this book after reading the awesome synopsis, and fortunately, those expectations were met. Confessions of an Angry Girl was an emotional and, most of all, vividly realistic read. The story sucked me in and I definitely laughed and cried a few times! (Not at the same time though.) I cannot wait to read Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend.

One thing I loved were the characters. Rose seemed real, with her many faults and realistic voice. Her narrative was entertaining, especially her use of the big words, and her character growth by the end was noticeable and amazingly written. Her family also was a realistic set of characters. Rose, her brother, and her mother, are all still coping with the dad's death. I found all the turmoil caused by this a big part of the book. Jamie Forta was another reoccurring character in the book. I am still not quite sure what to think of him... he seems to be hiding something. I hope we will find out more in the next book. However, I do hope he is a good guy, just because I am optimistic like that!

Along with the family troubles, there was also a fair share of high school drama. I will not mention each character, as there were lots. However, all of them seemed interesting and memorable from Robert, a guy who has been tailing after Rose since middle school, to Angelo, a laid back student I want to know more about, to Regina, a evil cheerleader. I find "evil cheerleaders" pretty tiresome nowadays in YA books. However, to me Regina was a little more interesting than the rest, although still a smidgen unoriginal. Overall, the high school drama, and Rose's feeling of not fitting in, were pretty well written.

One thing that flat out impressed me was how the cover relates to the book. Yes, in the book she does have a necklace with an "R" charm on it. I also found it cool that the cover creator people (???) cover designers chose to focus the cover on that part of the book. I also enjoyed the fact that there isn't just one big plot, in actuality, there are loads of mini plots circling around. This made the book seem more dimentional. I mean, our lives don't just revolve around one problem, right? Of course not.

Overall, Confessions of an Angry Girl is a worthwhile read. Fans of contemporary will find the characters realistic and the many emotional plots appealing. I was not kidding when I said this book made me laugh and cry. So, what are you waiting for? This book deserves to be read.

4/5 bookcases

Extra Note: I will probably be reviewing the second book later this month. I can't wait! Has anyone else read this series? What did you think?
  Emily_Anne | Mar 16, 2014 |
NOTE: I received the eARC of this book from Netgalley.

To be honest, I didn't expect this book to be the first one of a series. But now that I've actually read it, I think that a second book must come after it. The cliffhanger was so cute, and full of expectation. I can't wait for "Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend" to come out!

I really liked the writing style. It was light and fast paced. And another positive side of the book was that it was pretty short and I breezed through it quite fast. After a marathon of long books, I really needed a diversion, and got it with Angry Girl.

In the same time, the lightness had depth as well. Because you see, our girl Rose wasn't angry for nothing. She had a perfectly good reason for it, she just couldn't quite realize it. Not everyone, especially not a 14 year old girl could realize that her grief for her dead father was actually more anger than anything else.

There was a twister of emotions in Confessions of an Angry Girl. Starting with grief and anger we also see the first fruits of love, some early teenage passion, doubts, jealousy. You name it, Angry Girl has it.

Perhaps the only negativity that brought my rating down from a full 5 star one was the constant talk of sex. I'm sorry, but even if sex is a common topic of discussion among teens, I don't believe that it should be mentioned every other page or something. It was sort of irritating.

Now let me give you a bit of info on the characters:

Rose Zarelli is the protagonist, from whose point of view we are told this story. Starting with her father, Rose couldn't hold her anger inside her. She poured it out in great doses over anyone who'd stay long enough to listen to her brutally honest mouth. Whether it be her mom, her brother, her should-be-boyfriend (Jaime), her best friend, or her wants-to-be-boyfriend - no one is immune. Sometimes I even thought she was too rude, but let's not forget that Rose is just a teenager in her years of transition. What else could we expect of a character who is so realistic? What I loved about Rose the most was that even with all the peer pressure and constant sex discussions, she decided that it's way too early for her to jump in that sort of commitment.

The health class teacher - I loved her lesson on sex and its consequences. I really liked how the subject was brought down toward two key words ..... mutual respect.

Rose's Mom was way too absorbed in her own grief and anger that even though she was a shrink she never even realized Rose's anger management problem.

Jaime Forta... well he has a very sweet name, for starters. Of course he's gorgeous, but some sort of a loser. Still, he's dating a cheerleader. Of course, his life sucks ever since childhood - that's sort of normal for YA novels I gather. But he's a sweet boy, who cares about Rose in more than one way. I found him cute and swoon worthy, even if he isn't in the game all that much. When he does appear though, he could make your toes curl, so that should say something, right?

If you like light teen romance, this book is totally for you. I do recommend it. ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
Originally posted on my blog: The Bibliophile's Corner

Cover Talk: I love the simplicity of this cover. It’s very minimalistic and the fact that she has the “R” necklace makes me happy. I love when things in the book are on the cover as well. I do wish that the blue would be replaced by red, just because “angry” and “red” go together. But, that’s just me being picky.

First Impressions: When I read the synopsis of this book on NetGalley, it made me laugh. Seriously, I remember a time when I was that angry and I sounded just like Rose. It is refreshing to have an angry character instead of an angsty character. (Yes, I do think there is a difference.) Not mention, I wanted to read some new YA Contemporaries.

First Few Chapters: Every chapter begins with a word and definition that describes the mood of the whole chapter. As a fellow word lover, I absolutely loved this! The words were perfect. I could not stop reading this book until I got halfway through it. Only then did I decide to go to sleep.

Characters: Rose is smart, shy, and angry. She also reminds me a lot of myself when I was in high school. I never saw the point in drinking, parties, and sex just to fit in. I found it to be dumb. And so far as her anger goes, it is not until the end that you really see it in action. Don’t get me wrong. You see that it is there, but since Rose is the kind of person who bottles up her anger, it is not unleashed until the end.

Tracy is Rose’s best friend. Ugh. I really don’t even want to get started on Tracy. It is not until the end and after Tracy has made huge mistakes does she even redeem herself. I’m glad that Rose is a better person than I, because I don’t know if I could have forgiven Tracy for half the shit she did. She is very much the typical freshman who will do anything to fit in. The only reason I like her character is for the end of the book. She has to fall from her pedestal to see that Rose is right about everything.

Robert is the poor guy who has been in love with Rose since 6th grade. I feel terrible for him because he just cannot take a hint. Or maybe he was just purposely ignoring the hints. Either way, I think Robert is a great guy, but just not the one for Rose. I really hope to see more of him in the next book and maybe he’ll accept the friendship role.

Jamie. Oh, Jamie. I really like this guy. There are couple of guys in high school I remember who fit this character perfectly. The quiet guy who is also a badass and totally off limits. Yeah. I swear there are Jamies in every high school. Anyways, I really like this character and can’t wait to see what happens with him in the next book.

Plot: Rose has to start high school after her dad has just died, her brother has just gone off to college, and she has to live with a built in therapist. Talk about a crappy first year. But to top it off, her best friends are completely unrecognizable and it is making her angry.

I really love how this book approaches high school. While I was not in the midst of the partying and sexing and things, it was impossible to get through one day without hearing about the latest scandal. And while all of us outside of high school like to pretend that this stuff doesn’t happen, let’s get real. And this book, gets real. It deals with drinking, smoking, sex, bullying, gynecologist appointments, sex ed, cars, and school dances.

The love triangle bit in this story is one that I could actually deal with. Mainly because Rose was not interested in Robert and knew she shouldn’t be interested in Jamie. Instead of her heart being torn between two guys, she was just…well, kinda screwed.

Final Thoughts: This book makes me love the YA Contemporary genre. This is one of the most realistic books I have read in that genre and I cannot wait to read more in this series. ( )
  Ashley_McElyea | Dec 15, 2013 |

Freshman Rose Zarelli has rage issues. First of all, her father lost his job, took work as a contractor in Iraq...and never came home. Second, she likes the wrong guy and his super-intense, scary cheerleader girlfriend is now her nemesis. Third, her fashionista best friend, Tracy, is suddenly infinitely cooler than she is--and talking about losing her virginity. (What?!)Rose is ahead when it comes to studying for the PSAT, but she's so far behind socially that she might as well be moving backward. She needs Tracy's help choosing the right clothes, she likes all the wrong extracurricular activities, and she can't even make a decision about which photo of her father to put on the memorial website she's making (and hiding from her adolescent-shrink mother). With her brother away at college and her mother always locked in her office with her messed-up teen patients, Rose struggles to get through each day without inflicting bodily harm on anyone.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:25 -0400)

After the death of her father, Rose Zarelli struggles to contol her feelings and manage her life as a freshman in high school.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,306,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible