Embracing Obscurity: Becoming Nothing in…

Embracing Obscurity: Becoming Nothing in Light of God's Everything (edition 2012)

by Anonymous Anonymous

Member:BevFuller
Title:Embracing Obscurity: Becoming Nothing in Light of God's Everything
Authors:Anonymous Anonymous
Info:B&H Books (2012), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:November 2012

Embracing Obscurity: Becoming Nothing in Light of God's Everything by Anonymous Anonymous

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is a present day continuation of Christian literature focuses on drawing our attention away from ourselves, away from things, away from all the trappings and distractions that modernity has to offer, and returning our attention to being humble before God. Being humble is a daunting task in a world filled with status updates and intense navel-gazing, but the author is able to articulate herself (or himself) that makes sense. She (or he) speaks with clarity, and shares openly about her (or his) experiences with struggling with pride vs humility, which lends an air of authority to her (or his) perspective. An excellent book that I would recommend to anyone struggling with humility, or even interested in contemplating stepping back a bit from the status quo. ( )
  editfish | Aug 4, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This author does a decent job at balancing the seemingly paradoxical truths that we are to be humble, and yet accept that we are loved completely by our Creator. It is possible to believe that we have received the greatest gift possible, and still be humble before our God. ( )
  agglendening | Jul 25, 2013 |
You can read my full review at Quieted Waters.
That section, contrasting Christ's disposition in giving up heaven to enter our world with that of Satan in rebelling against God, was the strongest of the entire book. I read each contrasting pair with eyes wide open, recognizing far too much pride in my own life. Where Jesus did not count equality with God something to be grasped, I too often presume upon His grace. Where Jesus willingly humbled Himself, I too often seek out accolades. This book speaks right into that pride, reminding me that God calls most of us to live lives of humble service. ( )
  QuietedWaters | May 22, 2013 |
Not quite what I was expecting. I wrongly believed it was a book about practical ways of exercising the discipline of obscurity. Instead, it was a book with many Bible stories and Scripture verses giving good reminders to strive towards living in obscurity. About a life committed to serving God and serving others void of arrogance, pride, materialism, and success. I liked the author's focus on Jesus as the one who modeled obscurity. After all, the first 30 years of Jesus' life remains a mystery with a lot of unknowns about the greatest man that has ever lived. Furthermore, there were many times throughout Jesus' ministry where He disappeared into obscurity and never intentionally drew attention to himself. For example, instead of riding into town on a glorious steed full of pomp and circumstance, He rode in on a mere donkey. And, whenever Jesus did perform miraculous feats, He always gave glory to the Father rather than to himself. Jesus, the greatest model of someone who embraced obscurity when He could have rightfully demanded praise and adoration, instead was born in a dingy manger and died a rather obscure and gruesome death.

Overall, a decent read. But, nothing new or enlightening. At times very dry. However, a good reminder for us Christians to die to self, remain humble, serve others, and to embrace the wonder of obscurity. ( )
  gdill | May 16, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I believe the writer's intent is to remind us that, as followers of Jesus, He set the ultimate example for us by embracing obscurity to the point that He left His heavenly throne to come in the humblest of forms: the Creator of the Universe is also a helpless infant. He walked the walk.
I found myself challenged to remember that I work as unto the Lord, and not for anyone's fleshly recognition. I really enjoyed the discussion questions that helped me delve deeper. ( )
  NQTBradyBunch | Mar 26, 2013 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Embracing Obscurity by Anonymous Anonymous was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,626,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible