Dandelion Wine [radio theater production] by…

Dandelion Wine [radio theater production]

by Ray Bradbury

Other authors: Colonial Radio Players (Narrator), Jerry Robbins (Narrator)

Lustrous. Brilliant. Achingly nostalgic. Magically real.

I love this book with my whole heart, though I do tend to weep my way through several chapters. Bradbury's fictionalized memoir captures the Summer of 1928 so deliciously that it's as if I too was a twelve-year-old boy that year. I've read it countless times, and every time it's new. Every single time, there's something I failed to consider before, or something I was unable to understand that now comes into crystalline focus.

What is there to say about this book that doesn't come out as the senseless babbling of the infatuated? I've heard people dismiss it as sentimental, and I categorically deny that it's sentimental in the sickly sweet conventional way. It's nostalgic, certainly, and Bradbury casts his eye backwards through an evanescent golden glow. I much prefer this soft warm glow to the flayed flesh one is apt to stumble over in the litanies of betrayal currently passing for memoir.

Bradbury's playful language is a delight and a treasure. The narration on this audio is tip-top. I can't recommend it highly enough.
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |

Ray Bradburyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Colonial Radio PlayersNarratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Robbins, JerryNarratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

This is a radio play version of Dandelion Wine, adapted by Ray Bradbury. It is not the same as the book or audiobook of Dandelion Wine.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786165820, Audio CD)

World-renowned fantasist Ray Bradbury has on several occasions stepped outside the arenas of horror, fantasy, and science fiction. An unabashed romantic, his first novel in 1957 was basically a love letter to his childhood. (For those who want to undertake an even more evocative look at the dark side of youth, five years later the author would write the chilling classic Something Wicked This Way Comes.)

Dandelion Wine takes us into the summer of 1928, and to all the wondrous and magical events in the life of a 12-year-old Midwestern boy named Douglas Spaulding. This tender, openly affectionate story of a young man's voyage of discovery is certainly more mainstream than exotic. No walking dead or spaceships to Mars here. Yet those who wish to experience the unique magic of early Bradbury as a prose stylist should find Dandelion Wine most refreshing. --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:38 -0400)

A summer in the life of a 12 year old boy in 1928 in the hamlet of Green Town, Ill.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,911,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible