The Small Assassin by Ray Bradbury

The Small Assassin (original 1979; edition 1976)

by Ray Bradbury

Member:Thoughtshapes
Title:The Small Assassin
Authors:Ray Bradbury
Info:Collins (1976), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:***
Tags:sci fi, 2012

The Small Assassin by Ray Bradbury (1979)

The first story in this collection is the title story and it is really creepy! A mother nearly dies in childbirth and develops the delusion that her new-born baby is trying to murder her - but is it a delusion?

The other stories are a mixture of psychological horror, chillers and "tales of the unexpected". Bradbury successfully conjures up images of stifling small-town America and fever-dreams that are sometimes reminiscent of Edgar Allan Poe. There is also in many of the stories a rye and macbare humour. There are images and atmospheres in these stories that will definitely stay with me.

I particularly like the title story and also The Crowd, about a man haunted by a near-death experience, The Man Upstairs, which has a nicely comic-horror twist and The Cistern, a small Poe-like jewel of madness. ( )
  Michael.Rimmer | Mar 30, 2013 |
The Small Assassin is an excellent collection of 13 horror stories. I didn't find them too gory at all, but I was very disturbed by some of them. Ray Bradbury is an excellent writer and really has the ability to put you in the situation, almost as though you're watching a movie. His descriptive writing is really something to behold.[return][return]There are a complete variety of stories here, and they generally keep you guessing right till the end. One story was written in the 2nd-person, which isn't something I've really come across before, but I thought Bradbury did it really well.[return][return]There are some things I will never look at the same way again...Highly recommended! ( )
  KylieL | Apr 24, 2012 |
The Small Assassin is a collection of stories by Ray Bradbury, author of one of my favourite books, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and a writer who deserves far more credit for his contributions to imaginative literature.

The stories in The Small Assassin show Bradbury's imagination at its most fertile. From the pregnant woman being murdered by the child she carries in the eponymous opener, to a rented room with its own incumbent tombstone, to the walking dead man seeking a bride, these are more than just scary stories, they're stories to fire your thoughts.

Read the full review at my blog. ( )
  rolhirst | Sep 5, 2008 |

KylieL | Mar 6, 2008 |
Thirteen tales of suspense and horror by a master, all taken from other previously published books such as "The October Country" and "Dark Carnival". The stories are of varying quality, but all are chilling examples of the genre. ( )
  burnit99 | Dec 31, 2006 |

Thirteen Capsules of Terror - Not to be Taken at Bedtime

Here is a fantastic journey into a world of terror with thirteen of Bradbury's very best. A baby born with the irge to kill... the couple who leave for a honeymoon - in a cemetery... a husband and wife who have an unpleasant experience with some mummified Mexican corpses... the tombstone in the bedroom... a little boy who examines the macabre entrails of the man upstairs...

A chilling collection that will linger long after you have finished reading it.

The Small Assassin
The Handler
Let's Play 'Poison'
The Night
The Dead Man

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,977,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible