Geekomancy by Michael R Underwood

Authors:Michael R Underwood
Info:Pocket Star (2012), Kindle Edition, 284 pages
Rating:***1/2

Geekomancy by Michael R. Underwood

This was ok, an interesting world and fun plot, I enjoyed catching all the references - but the world itself was kind of obvious geek wish fulfillment, there was basically no character developement, and the snarky humor came in large doses and I have think will be dated pretty fast. ( )
  csmith0406 | Mar 18, 2016 |
It was a little bit difficult to get into the writing style in the beginning, but ultimately I really enjoyed Geekomancy.

It's quirky, fun and nothing like I've read before. A lot of gaming references, movies and comics, - I consider myself a little bit geeky but I had trouble with a lot of them. However it didn't distract me from the overall plot.

Ree is a lovely character, she is a crazy screenwriter with a lovely hairdresser dad, she loves all the things geek and has friends who understand her and have their own little quirks and follow their dreams.

Life is alright if a little bit tight until she sees something she's not supposed to see and find a whole new world of magical underground shaped by our beliefs and fandom. Here everything goes. Convention t-shirts, action power figures, Wonder woman suits... they all have power. So as Ree. She can borrow powers from the characters in the movies, just for a bit though.

Eastwood, a well respected geekomancer who saved her life and took her as his apprentice teaches her the ropes and at the same time she assists him in an investigation into a series of teenage suicides in town.

Much craziness, magical fights and travel into astral ensues. You acquire friends and enemies, enemies that you thought were friends and a lot of fodder for your future screenplays. Once in this world Ree is desperate to stay even if it means figuring out who she is and how she can pay her bills from now on.

Lovely book, refreshing, interesting, and I'm really looking forward to the next instalment in this series. Bravo, Michael!

Recommended for fans of [b:FanGirl|15744964|FanGirl|Angel Lawson|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1341933555s/15744964.jpg|21434208] ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Interesting twist on the usual urban fantasy concept. I'm interested in seeing where the next book goes. ( )
  RevBobMIB | Oct 21, 2015 |

It panders shamelessly to geeks and nerds, which yields it another star or two, but other than that it lacks weight. The dangers aren't dangerous, the scares aren't scare and the emotional impact isn't bvery impactful. ( )
  StigE | Sep 15, 2015 |
There was something that was just a little too cheesy for me in this one. I had high hopes, but it just didn't hold my attention. Had to let it go. Don't know if I'll ever pick this one up again, but I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility. ( )
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |

Clerks meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer in this original urban fantasy book about Geekomancers - humans that derive supernatural powers from pop culture.

Ree Reyes¿s life was easier when all she had to worry about was scraping together tips from her gig as a barista and comic shop slave to pursue her ambitions as a screenwriter.

When a scruffy-looking guy storms into the shop looking for a comic like his life depends on it, Ree writes it off as just another day in the land of the geeks. Until a gigantic ¿BOOM!¿ echoes from the alley a minute later, and Ree follows the rabbit hole down into her town¿s magical flip-side. Here, astral cowboy hackers fight trolls, rubber-suited werewolves, and elegant Gothic Lolita witches while wielding nostalgia-powered props.

Ree joins Eastwood (aka Scruffy Guy), investigating a mysterious string of teen suicides as she tries to recover from her own drag-your-heart-through-jagged-glass breakup. But as she digs deeper, Ree discovers Eastwood may not be the knight-in-cardboard armor she thought. Will Ree be able to stop the suicides, save Eastwood from himself, and somehow keep her job?

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,187,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible