The Sandman: The Story of Sanderson…

The Sandman: The Story of Sanderson Mansnoozie (The Guardians of… (edition 2012)

by William Joyce, William Joyce (Illustrator)

Member:ElizaJane
Title:The Sandman: The Story of Sanderson Mansnoozie (The Guardians of Childhood)
Authors:William Joyce (Author)
Other authors:William Joyce (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 48 pages
Collections:Your library, Review Copies
Rating:***
Tags:arc, S&S, children, picture book, fantasy, read2012

The Sandman: The Story of Sanderson Mansnoozie by William Joyce

In my opinion, this is a fantastic book. One of the reasons why I enjoyed this book so much is because of the illustrations. The illustrations are detailed, colorful, and beautiful. The illustrations do a great job of drawing the reader into the story. For example, there is a part in the story where Sandy is talking to the Man in the Moon and the moon on the page really stands out. The moon is very large, and has remarkable detail. The reader can clearly see the face of the Man in the Moon. The moon is surrounded by golden stars and a purple sky, which really causes the moon to stand out. The illustrations also add to the mood of the story. For example. When the Man in the Moon is talking the pages are covered in a beautiful purple color. When Pitch, the bad guy, is around the pages turn dark with black, gray, and fire yellow. Another reason why I liked this book is because the writing in engaging. The story is engaging, and kept me wanting to read more. The story is a little long, but I was never bored with the story. The language is descriptive, and painted a clear picture in my mind. “But in this Golden Age, there was one who could not abide anything good or kind or gentle: Pitch, the King of the Nightmares.” When I read that I pictured a guy who was mean and dark. The big idea of this story is to teach children that nightmares are not real. “It’s rare for Dreamsand to miss its proper mark, but if it does, a nightmare might try to sneak into your dream. But you know it’s not real.” ( )
  Chawki6 | Nov 30, 2014 |
William Joyce returns to his ongoing saga of The Guardians of Childhood in this second gorgeous picture-book, which continues the story begun in The Man in the Moon. Unable to protect the children of Earth from nightmares when the moon is dark, MiM (the Man in the Moon) searches for an earthly partner in his work, finding him in the form of Sanderson Mansnoozie - Sandy for short - a fellow celestial traveler from the Golden Age, who was stranded when his comet was attacked during the great battle with the evil Pitch, King of Nightmares. Awakening this sandman, MiM makes a wish for his assistance, and Sandy - soon dubbed "His Nocturnal Magnificence, Sanderson Mansnoozie, Sandman the First, Lord High Protector of Sleep and Dreams" - rises to the occasion.

This picture-book series, and the related children's fantasy novels featuring the same characters, were recommended to me by members of the children's books group that I moderate on another site, during a discussion of the film Rise of the Guardians. I'm glad that it was, as I have really enjoyed what I have read so far! As with its predecessor, the artwork here is simply breathtaking. Joyce's palette is visually striking, with its deep shades of blue, and rich gold, and his fantastic subjects are beautifully realized. My favorite scene was the one in which the mermaids gather to sing little Sandy to sleep. Even the endpapers, which depict the Island of Sleepy Sands, are beautiful! The story itself is engaging, building on the developments of The Man in the Moon, and leaving me wondering what would happen next, and which Guardian would feature in the third picture-book in the series. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 19, 2013 |
We really loved this one, even more so than the Man in the Moon. Gorgeous illustrations. ( )
  jenstrongin | Mar 31, 2013 |
This book has awesome pictures, it is kind of long but wonderful.
  Laurenpearce | Mar 9, 2013 |
Reason for Reading: Next in the series.

Well, I feel a bit guilty not giving this book a 5* rating but I must be honest, we were somewhat disappointed. For those not sure how this series works. It is made up of picture books and chapter books which in the long run are related to each other, same characters, but supposedly could be read apart from one another. The picture books are called "The Guardians of Childhood" while the chapter books are called "The Guardians". We are reading all the books in order as they are published and *highly* enjoying this series: the writing, the world-building, the plot and the illustrations. We came to this book, looking forward very much to the picture book format again, expecting to be taken back to the world of "The Man in the Moon" and perhaps a small insight into the continuing storyline as we know the next chapterbook is titled after the Sandman as well.

First, our disappointment came in that this story is very much a stand-alone. Yes, the man in the moon (MiM) is briefly present but this is "Sandy's" story of how he came to be in the "Golden Age", a time far in the past before the events taking place in the chapter books. None of the chapter book characters are mentioned except of course the villain Pitch, neither is any of that plot, nor is the story advanced in anyway. In truth, while the Sandman is an interesting character, his story is rather boring and feels out of place within the context of the overall series. Some sort of continuity for readers of the entire series (picture & chapter) would have been appreciated.

On the other hand, William Joyce is an illustrator extraordinaire. He should be remembered as one of the greats of our time to follow in the footsteps of the likes of N.C. Wyeth and the Hildebrandts. This book is exquisite. Each page is simply beautiful and the story, as it is, is fully realized with the fantastical, otherworldly illustrations which use a dark palette of blues, purples and browns contrasted with the bright glimmering yellow/gold light of the sandman, his sand, his star and the moon. Beautiful, beautiful! Recommended age is 5+ for reading aloud but quite a bit older for individual reading, perhaps 9/10+. Not what we had expected storywise, but nonetheless a gorgeous book. ( )
  ElizaJane | Dec 31, 2012 |

Provides the background, history, and life of Sanderson Mansnoozie, better known as the Sandman, who helps the Man in the Moon keep children safe at night by bringing them sweet dreams.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,378,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible