The Sandman: The Story of Sanderson…

The Sandman: The Story of Sanderson Mansnoozie (The Guardians of… (edition 2012)

by William Joyce (Author), William Joyce (Illustrator)

Member:ElizaJane
Title:The Sandman: The Story of Sanderson Mansnoozie (The Guardians of Childhood)
Authors:William Joyce (Author)
Other authors:William Joyce (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 48 pages
Collections:Your library, Review Copies
Rating:***
Tags:arc, S&S, picture book, fantasy, read2012

The Sandman: The Story of Sanderson Mansnoozie by William Joyce

Joyce gives us another back story to one of the figures of childhood mythology: the Sandman. The story is adequate, the villains are creepy, but the art: the art earns this book all its stars. Gorgeous.

Library copy. ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
This is the second installment of William Joyce’s The Guardians of Childhood series. After crashing onto planet Earth from his shooting star and sleeping for a ten thousand nights, Sanderson Mansnoozie grants the Man in the Moon’s wish to help children when there cannot be a full moon. The Man in the Moon declares Sandy as “Sandman the first,” protector of dreams. THE SANDMAN is an absolutely delightful story about the little man who gives children dreams and chases all of their nightmares away. This is a great story to read for bedtime, as a read-aloud, or just for free read in class. There isn’t a major lesson to teach with this book, but children can take away the idea that nightmares are not real. The magnificent illustrations take the imagination into another world in this captivating read. ( )
  k.hostetler11 | Sep 23, 2015 |
I love this book! It tells the story of the First Sandman, charged by the Man in the Moon to chase away the Nightmares with his Dreamsand. The illustrations are beautiful, the story exquisite, and the execution magnificent. Well worth the read. I'll have this book in my classroom library. ( )
  AmandaLK | Mar 31, 2015 |
This is a wonderful tale of evil and good as they battle each other in the war of children's nightmares.

When the sandman discovers that if the moon is dark, all children have terrible nightmares, he solicits help from Sanderson Mansnoozie who battles the evil forces.

The illustrations are lush and very detailed. ( )
  Whisper1 | Feb 4, 2015 |
In my opinion, this is a fantastic book. One of the reasons why I enjoyed this book so much is because of the illustrations. The illustrations are detailed, colorful, and beautiful. The illustrations do a great job of drawing the reader into the story. For example, there is a part in the story where Sandy is talking to the Man in the Moon and the moon on the page really stands out. The moon is very large, and has remarkable detail. The reader can clearly see the face of the Man in the Moon. The moon is surrounded by golden stars and a purple sky, which really causes the moon to stand out. The illustrations also add to the mood of the story. For example. When the Man in the Moon is talking the pages are covered in a beautiful purple color. When Pitch, the bad guy, is around the pages turn dark with black, gray, and fire yellow. Another reason why I liked this book is because the writing in engaging. The story is engaging, and kept me wanting to read more. The story is a little long, but I was never bored with the story. The language is descriptive, and painted a clear picture in my mind. “But in this Golden Age, there was one who could not abide anything good or kind or gentle: Pitch, the King of the Nightmares.” When I read that I pictured a guy who was mean and dark. The big idea of this story is to teach children that nightmares are not real. “It’s rare for Dreamsand to miss its proper mark, but if it does, a nightmare might try to sneak into your dream. But you know it’s not real.” ( )
  Chawki6 | Nov 30, 2014 |

Provides the background, history, and life of Sanderson Mansnoozie, better known as the Sandman, who helps the Man in the Moon keep children safe at night by bringing them sweet dreams.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,747,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible