The Weight of Glory by C. S. Lewis

The Weight of Glory (original 1980; edition 2001)

by C. S. Lewis

Member:baylis
Title:The Weight of Glory
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:HarperOne (2001), Paperback, 208 pages

The Weight of Glory by C. S. Lewis (1980)

Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist by John Piper (atimco)
    atimco: "The Weight of Glory" is Lewis's sermon that sparked the whole idea of Christian hedonism in John Piper. Piper quotes it extensively in Desiring God, but it's good to read Lewis's thoughts in their full context.

Reason is the organ of truth but imagination is the organ of meaning. Unselfishness & self denial are not the same as love. Desiring our own good is good not bad. God finds our desires not too strong but too weak. It is most important how God thinks of us not how we think of God. Glory is as bright luminosity - united with the beauty we see, nature is only a symbol. There are no ordinary people. Take each other seriously - the weight of your neighbor's glory. ( )
  WaterMillChurch | Jun 18, 2019 |
The classic Weight of Glory by C.S. Lewis, the most important Christian writer of the 20th century, contains nine sermons delivered by Lewis during World War Two. The nine addresses in Weight of Glory offer guidance, inspiration, and a compassionate apologetic for the Christian faith during a time of great doubt.
  StFrancisofAssisi | Apr 30, 2019 |
This book is part of my C.S. Lewis collection. I went through a huge phase where I was just obsessed with anything and everything by him. While I don't agree with all of his theology, I do love his writing style and the things he has to say about faith. He was a good one. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Jul 31, 2018 |
I find it difficult to write a review of C.S.Lewis' writings... They are so intense, so deep, and varied. And that is why it takes me extra long to read and absorb anything Lewis has written.

This book is a collection of essays, presentations, addresses, full of insight and wisdom. In The Weight of Glory , my favorite of them, Lewis writes of Heaven. And it is indescribably inspiring and logical.

Here is one of the many passages I underlined:

Now, if we are made for heaven, the desire for our proper place will be already in us, but not yet attached to the true object, and will even appear as the rival of that object..... In speaking of this desire for our own far-off country, which we find in ourselves even now, I feel a certain shyness. I am almost committing an indecency. I am trying to rip open the inconsolable secret in each one of you- the secret which hurts so much that you take your revenge on it by calling it names like Nostalgia and Romanticism and Adolescence... (the desire) we cannot tell it because it is a desire for something that has never actually appeared in our existence.

Passages like this just make you sit and think. And they reveal so much of your inner perhaps yet unrealized thoughts and desires..

I'm glad I own this book as it's one I'm going to re-read for sure. ( )
1 vote homeschoolmimzi | Mar 31, 2018 |
Beautifully crafted essays, full of wonderful ideas and arguments. ( )
  tangentrider | Aug 27, 2015 |
The weight of glory: If you asked twenty good men today what they thought the highest of virtues, nineteen of them would reply, Unselfishness.
Learning in War-Time: A university is a society for the pursuit of learning.
Why I am not a pacifist: The question is whether to serve in the wars at the command of the civil society to which we belong is a wicked action, or an action morally indifferent, or an action morally obligatory.
Transposition: In the church to which I belong this day is set apart for commemorating the descent of the Holy Ghost upon the first Christians shortly after the Ascension.
Is theology poetry: The question I have been asked to discuss tonight - "Is theology poetry?" - is not of my own choosing.
This work contains nine essays. Do not combine with editions containing only five. "The Weight of Glory" has been published in two major editions. The first, identical with "Transposition and other Addresses", was published with five essays in 1949 and intermittently until 1980, when an expanded edition was published, with four additional essays.

Those with pre-1980 five-essay works are invited to separate out and combine their editions with "Transposition and other Addresses".

Selected from sermons delivered by C. S. Lewis during World War II, these nine addresses offer guidance and inspiration in a time of great doubt.These are ardent and lucid sermons that provide a compassionate vision of Christianity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:14 -0400)

Publisher's description: Selected from sermons delivered by C. S. Lewis during World War II, these nine addresses offer guidance and inspiration in a time of great doubt. These are ardent and lucid sermons that provide a compassionate vision of Christianity.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,328,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible