The Obsidian Mirror by Catherine Fisher

The Obsidian Mirror (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Catherine Fisher

Member:Herenya
Title:The Obsidian Mirror
Authors:Catherine Fisher
Info:Hodder Children's Books, London (2012), Paperback, 393 pages
Collections:Read, Connect, ['11 - '12]
Rating:**1/2
Tags:timeslip/time travel, science-fiction, fantasy, confusing, read-2012

The Obsidian Mirror by Catherine Fisher (2012)

Hmm. Not sure that I really enjoyed this one. I had a hard time figuring out what was going on and it didn't hold my interest very well. I will probably still get it for those who are Catherine Fisher fans. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
NOTE: I received this book from Netgalley to review.

I'd heard lots of awesome things about Catherine Fisher, so I requested this book, all excited and full of great expectations. But to be honest, I was a bit disappointed.

Firstly, until about half way through, nothing really interesting happened. We were just introduced to the characters and some of the circumstances. Nothing special, nothing to grab my attention. Perhaps that's why it took me an entire week to finish this novel. It just didn't do it for me.

Secondly, the mysteries around which everything was revolving, weren't something absolutely out of the blue. No one really behaved outside of their character, which bored me. I mean, I would've wanted to see someone growing out of themselves by the end of the story, but no.

Venn was still the same guy, who cared about no one else and nothing else but getting his wife back.

Jake was the same rash boy who only cared about his father.

Sarah was perhaps the only mysterious character, who we didn't know anything about until the very last page.

And Gideon is my favorite of the lot. I hope they manage to find a way to help him out.

In conclusion, I want to say that the writing style was good, but the story isn't all that original. Also, the characters didn't really make an impression on me, so I can't say I'm thrilled by The Obsidian Mirror. ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
I received this ARC free from the author.
This book was a fun, light read with interesting characters and a well-paced, engaging plot. Though time travel is a major element in this book, I felt it was more of a fantasy genre than science fiction. I'm definitely looking forward to further installments of this series. ( )
  imoen_until | Nov 3, 2013 |
Actual rating: 3.5 stars ( )
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
Did you ever read a book that you liked but didn't love, but could see that the books to come have the potential to be great reads? That's The Obsidian Mirror to a T. ( )
  Cailiosa | Jul 25, 2013 |
This is the sort of book that I devour, rather than read, and I am sure it will be for you too. With lashings of mystery, time travel and spooky horror, it's sure to appeal to anybody, child or adult, who likes fantasy and science fiction.

I have discovered something totally impossible.

An obsidian
Mirror that acts as a time
Portal - danger lurks.
(passion4reading)

Jake's father disappears while working on mysterious experiments with the obsessive, reclusive Oberon Venn. Jake is convinced Venn has murdered him. But the truth he finds at the snow-bound Wintercombe Abbey is far stranger ...The experiments concerned a black mirror, which is a portal to both the past and the future. Venn is not alone in wanting to use its powers. Strangers begin gathering in and around Venn's estate: Sarah - a runaway, who appears out of nowhere and is clearly not what she says, Maskelyne - who claims the mirror was stolen from him in some past century. There are others, a product of the mirror's power to twist time. And a tribe of elemental beings surround this isolated estate, fey, cold, untrustworthy, and filled with hate for humans. But of them all, Jake is hell-bent on using the mirror to get to the truth. Whatever the cost, he must learn what really happened to his father.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:34 -0400)

When his father disappears while experimenting with a black mirror that is a portal to both the past and the future, Jake encounters obstacles when he tries to use the mirror to find his father.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Obsidian Mirror by Catherine Fischer was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,318,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible