Deeply Odd by Dean Koontz

Deeply Odd

by Dean Koontz

Series: Odd Thomas (6)

English (36)  Spanish (1)  All languages (37)
Although I enjoyed this latest instalment in the Odd Thomas series, I couldn't help thinking there was an awful lot of 'filler' used between sequences.

Part of the charm of these books is Odd's tendency to ruminate (often with humour) on the horrors that he faces but in this instance I found myself skipping whole paragraphs of text just to get on with the story.

That said, the book introduces some lively characters and enough intrigue about Odd's future to have me ready to read the next one, albeit with fingers crossed that the writing meanders less than it did here. ( )
  RachelAmphlett | Jul 23, 2018 |
Sometimes Dean Koontz has a little trouble getting out of his own way as a writer and such is the case with this installment in the Odd Thomas series. Oddie has always been a mouthpiece for Koontz's own opinions, and this didn't bother me as long as it was secondary to the story. A stray comment here and there, a bit of conversation with another character, and so on--it was there, but it was part of our quirky, thoughtful Oddie--and it integrated well with what was happening in the storyline.

Not so this time around. Entire pages were dedicated to Koontz "holding forth" on the government and the state of the world by way of Oddie and other characters--pages that contributed nothing to the plot, nothing to character development, and only served as an impetus to skim the text and skip forward. I go to church on Sunday for sermons, I read my Bible when I want to understand universal truths, I pray when I want to talk to God, and I read the news when I need to know that our government is up to no good. But I read the Odd Thomas series because it's funny and profound and because--when he's doing his job--Koontz is the master of the well-turned phrase and he knows how to deliver the rising action.

The ending is the only thing that saved this story from failing completely and I almost didn't bother to finish it. This is why it's got three stars instead of one. If the rest of the story had delivered the way the ending did, I'd have no complaints.

I am questioning whether or not I will bother with the last book in the series. I know I won't recommend this one. Maybe Odd Thomas has taken us as far as he can.

It's a shame really. I'ts been a good run ( )
  MPaddock | Sep 22, 2017 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot. wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission. Title: Deeply Odd Series: Odd Thomas Author: Dean Koontz Rating: 3 of 5 Stars Genre: Urban Fantasy Pages: 352 Format: Kindle Synopsis: Odd has a vision of a mysterious cowboy burning 3 children alive. To prevent that is the adventure that this book portrays. Odd meets a variety of people, some really good, some really bad. He also realizes that the supernatural world that he has a limited access to is much wider and has a greater impact on our world than he previously realized. My Thoughts: Odd Thomas takes on a Satanic Cult. I haven't added the horror tag onto this series until now. But this one certainly deserves it. Koontz takes a very broad based Judeo-Christian world view and throws the demons full on onto Odd. Thankfully, unlike Stephen King, Koontz also emphasizes the side of Good, no matter how peculiar they might be. It is made abundantly clear that Odd couldn't have taken on this adventure, and succeeded, without the help of many other Good people. I like that. Several things made me uncomfortable with this read though. I suspect it was Koontz's intent, but I still want to note them. The children. Anytime a story revolves around the pain, suffering and possible death of children, it puts me on edge. I do not subscribe to the belief that children are "innocents". I was a child, once. I remember. I have also seen children through my adult eyes. Anyone who thinks children are innocent has never seen two 5 year olds fight over a toy and then lie like a politician about it when one of them gets hurt and the adults have to intervene. But I am a strong believer that children must be protected until such a time as they can take care of themselves, mentally, physically and emotionally. So it just makes it a hard read when children are the object of a satanic ritual. Which brings me to the second thing that made me uncomfortable. The satanism and demons. I am a Christian and hence believe that the supernatural world is real. I believe in God. I believe that Satan is a fallen angel and that demons are other fallen angels. I believe that the devil hates God and His creation so much that he'd rather see it destroyed than exist and not be under his, Satan's, control. I believe that the devil is immensely powerful and can give some of that power to humans to further his own aims. So to just casually write about this subject sets off alarm bells in my head. Like I said above though, I think Koontz included both those subjects as uncomfortable subjects and not just because it was convenient for the plot. Or maybe it was. Either way, while they made me uncomfortable, I liked the way Koontz handled them. There is one more book in this series, Saint Odd. While I'm sad that this series will end, as I'm enjoying the whole of it so far, I am glad that Koontz will finish this. A good story needs an ending and a good author will not allow said story to be the story that never ends and to have it wither on the vine, so to speak. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I enjoy the Odd series because of the cleverness in the stories. Even though an author can get away with just about anything if writing extra senses and such, Koontz doesn't take the liberties unless he tells you he's going just that. Literally. This story was not quite as suspenseful as the ones before and it left a few questions unanswered at the end, but it did make me want to read the next one as soon as it's out. ( )
  vickiayala | Sep 22, 2016 |
"Odd Thomas" is here using his psychic magnetism to track down the "Rhinestone Cowboy Trucker" who has powers of his own. That was a nice twist, as we saw that Odd wasn't the only person in the world with a touch of the supernatural on their lives. Unfortunately, the things that made the first book so interesting have slowly begun to fade away in the last two or three novels in the series. I am all for character growth, but it seems as if Dean has almost lost his original idea of what made Odd so special and has been moving him into a new character. The thing I miss most in the "Odd" stories is the loss of the spirits of the lingering dead he used to encounter and often help. Even his ghost dog is no longer hanging out with him.

I have read this series from the start and will admit that I was less than enthused with the last couple of books. Maybe it's time for Koontz to end this series and go back to writing the great stand alone books he was so loved for by his fans. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baker, David AaronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They followed the light and the shadow, and the light led them forward to light and the shadow led them to darkness. - T.S. Eliot, Choruses from The Rock, VII
This book is dedicated to Stephen Sommers, who kept his promises in a world where no one does. With admiration and affection from the Odd author.
Before dawn, I woke in darkness to the ringing of a tiny bell, the thimble-size bell that I wore on a chain around my neck: three bursts of silvery sound, a brief silence after each.

Odd Thomas journeys through California and Nevada after a vision about the murders of three children, an effort throughout which he befriends a series of eccentric helpers who become allies in a battle against a sociopath and a network of killers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,978,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible