The Round House by Louise Erdrich

The Round House (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Louise Erdrich

Member:Beamis12
Title:The Round House
Authors:Louise Erdrich
Info:Harper (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages

The Round House by Louise Erdrich (2012)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (JenMDB)
    The Plague of Doves by Louise Erdrich (Limelite)
    Limelite: Not exactly a prequel, but featuring several of the same characters that appear in this more recent novel.
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (JenMDB)
    The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Alexie's Absolutely True Diary shows a teenager (a little older than Joe) struggling with the poverty, alcoholism and injustice found on the reservation and the bullying and racism he faces from the outside world. A similar theme of the heartaches of growing up on a reservation in an unjust world - Alexie's work shows more humor, though.… (more)
    Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese (Iudita)
    A Time to Kill by John Grisham (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Less literary and as a legal thriller more focused on the courtroom drama, but Grisham's A Time To Kill focuses on similar problems of racism and unspeakable crimes and the drive for the victim's family to seek revenge.

English (143)  Spanish (4)  All languages (147)
A great coming-of-age novel. Poignant, wise, and some genuinely funny moments. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
Impressive, fast-paced novel full of interesting moments and tension. Erdrich explores a complicated mix of coming of age, manhood, responsiblity, sexuality, and race.

Some of the characters on the edge of the novel were less well drawn, perhaps even unnecessary. That said, the main character and his family will stay with you. ( )
  ProfH | May 13, 2015 |
Louise Erdrich is a well-known author and National Book Award winner with this story. While the tale revolves around rape and justice, it's real interest lies in the connection to native Americans and their struggle with the inequity of justice and the uncertainty in prosecution due to legal jurisdictional questions.

I found the story to be well written and interesting but I would not have placed it among National Book Award winners. It may well be one of the author's best novels, however, and a must read for Erdrich fans. ( )
  mldavis2 | May 12, 2015 |
I enjoyed the book and did have a hard time putting it down. And when I could not be reading, it was calling my name. It reminded me a bit of Ivan Doig's work about Montana. A book about real life, how things happen, and how people make decisions which may or may not be the best choices. And about living through these events, and living your life as best as you can, with and without regrets. And the pain and the joy of intimate friends and family. ( )
  maggie1944 | Apr 22, 2015 |
The Round House is a layered story. On one level, it is a coming of age story about a boy whose family is changed forever after the brutal rape of his mother. On another level it is the story of the convoluted, confusing and dysfunctional relationship between US federal law and Indian tribal law. On another level it is a discussion of justice. While this might not be the easiest story to read, it is compelling and beautifully written.

Quotes:

Women don't realize how much store men set on the regularity of their habits. We absorb their comings and goings into our bodies, their rhythms into our bones. Our pulse is set to theirs, and as always on a weekend afternoon we were waiting for my mother to start us ticking away on the evening.
And so, you see, her absence stopped time.
1 vote nittnut | Apr 22, 2015 |
With “The Round House,” her 14th novel, Louise Erdrich takes us back to the North Dakota Ojibwe reservation that she has conjured and mapped in so many earlier books, and made as indelibly real as Faulkner’s Yoknapatawpha County or Joyce’s Dublin. This time she focuses on one nuclear family — the 13-year-old Joe Coutts; his mother, Geraldine; and his father, Judge Antone Coutts — that is shattered and remade after a terrible event.

Although its plot suffers from a schematic quality that inhibits Ms. Erdrich’s talent for elliptical storytelling, the novel showcases her extraordinary ability to delineate the ties of love, resentment, need, duty and sympathy that bind families together. “The Round House” — a National Book Award finalist in the fiction category — opens out to become a detective story and a coming-of-age story, a story about how Joe is initiated into the sadnesses and disillusionments of grown-up life and the somber realities of his people’s history.

“The Round House” represents something of a departure for Erdrich, whose past novels of Indian life have usually relied on a rotating cast of narrators, a kind of storytelling chorus. Here, though, Joe is the only narrator, and the urgency of his account gives the action the momentum and tight focus of a crime novel, which, in a sense, it is. But for Erdrich, “The Round House” is also a return to form.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Maria Russo (Oct 12, 2012)

Each new Erdrich novel adds new layers of pathos and comedy, earthiness and spiritual questing, to her priceless multigenerational drama. “The Round House’’ is one of her best — concentrated, suspenseful, and morally profound.

Our reviewer, Alan Cheuse, is always in pursuit of great new books. And today, Louise Erdrich's latest "The Round House." I interviewed her earlier this week about the novel. Now, here's Alan's take and he says it's her best yet.

To Pallas
Small trees had attacked my parents' home at the foundation.
"Women don't realize how much store men set on the regularity of their habits," Joe says. "Our pulse is set to theirs, and as always on a weekend afternoon we were waiting for my mother to start us ticking away on the evening."

One Sunday in the spring of 1988, a woman living on a reservation in North Dakota is attacked. The details of the crime are slow to surface as Geraldine Coutts is traumatized and reluctant to relive or reveal what happened, either to the police or to her husband, Bazil, and thirteen-year-old son, Joe. In one day, Joe's life is irrevocably transformed. He tries to heal his mother, but she will not leave her bed and slips into an abyss of solitude. Increasingly alone, Joe finds himself thrust prematurely into an adult world for which he is ill prepared.

While his father, who is a tribal judge, endeavors to wrest justice from a situation that defies his efforts, Joe becomes frustrated with the official investigation and sets out with his trusted friends, Cappy, Zack, and Angus, to get some answers of his own. Their quest takes them first to the Round House, a sacred space and place of worship for the Ojibwe. And this is only the beginning. Written with undeniable urgency, and illuminating the harsh realities of contemporary life in a community where Ojibwe and white live uneasily together, The Round House is a brilliant and entertaining novel, a masterpiece of literary fiction. Louise Erdrich embraces tragedy, the comic, a spirit world very much present in the lives of her all-too-human characters, and a tale of injustice that is, unfortunately, an authentic reflection of what happens in our own world today. Amazon description.

When his mother, a tribal enrollment specialist living on a reservation in North Dakota, slips into an abyss of depression after being brutally attacked, 14-year-old Joe Coutz sets out with his three friends to find the person that destroyed his family.… (more)

534 wanted6 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,179,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible