Lost Antarctica: Adventures in a…

Lost Antarctica: Adventures in a Disappearing Land (edition 2012)

by James McClintock

43None271,496 (3.59)8
Member:Helcura
Title:Lost Antarctica: Adventures in a Disappearing Land
Authors:James McClintock
Info:Palgrave Macmillan (2012), Hardcover, 256 pages
Rating:***

Lost Antarctica: Adventures in a Disappearing Land (Macsci) by James McClintock

The View from Lazy Point: A Natural Year in an Unnatural World by Carl Safina (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: If you are interested in these antarctic environmental changes, you will want to read about more widespread issues by another wonderful author.
    The Big Thaw: Travels in the Melting North by Ed Struzik (VivienneR)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wanted to enjoy this book, I really did. I'm a fan of adventure writing in general. This one just didn't capture my interest, and I never finished it. The writing style was a bit amateurish; I felt like I was reading someone's diary or a boring required text.

Sorry, two stars at best- nice idea. ( )
  jlafleur | May 5, 2013 |
I received this book as a Goodreads ARC giveaway. This was a great book and I really enjoy it ( )
  slvoight | Mar 31, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a marine biologist and someone interested in polar climates, this book was pretty much right up my alley. A great look at the remote Antarctic regions, and the unique ecosystem and life forms they present. The challenges of climate change and other pressures are also discussed, though I very much appreciate the scientific presentation of facts rather than turning the book into an op-ed piece. This book overall gives a vivid picture of a place like no other on earth, and one in danger of being lost. ( )
  corglacier7 | Mar 20, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
You would think Antarctica would be protected from the problems of this world by its remoteness, but alas that is not the case. I've had a long standing personal fascination with the explorations of our polar regions and the life forms found there, so I was particularly intrigued by Lost Antarctica. Our changing climate is imperiling this cold world and all its creatures, which could have long term consequences for all of us. So, now I will worry about Antactica as well as everything else. This is well worth a read to gain an understanding of the current state of the bottom of the world.
  varielle | Jan 11, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A great book on a truly remarkable place, Antarctica. The level of writing was perfect for the story and the research behind the story was impressive. I learned much about the biology, climate and history of this amazing continent. I was carried along with the story as each chapter progressed and I felt a connection with the author and his fellow researchers and agreed with their concerns. In this book, author James McClintock states that it is his role to inform people about what the problems facing Antarctica concerning climate change are, not to steer people’s decisions. It is my hope that the information contained in this book speaks to people of the Earth and they act on the global problems facing this world. ( )
  Chris177 | Jan 4, 2013 |

The bitter cold and three months a year without sunlight make Antarctica virtually uninhabitable for humans. Yet a world of extraordinary wildlife persists in these harsh conditions, including leopard seals, giant squid, 50-foot algae, sea spiders, coral, multicolored sea stars, and giant predatory worms. Now, as temperatures rise, this fragile ecosystem is under attack. In this closely observed account, one of the world’s foremost experts on Antarctica gives us a highly original and distinctive look at a world that we're losing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:51 -0400)

Hidden between the ice and snow of Antarctica is a world unlike any other. Bitter cold, scarce resources, and six months a year without sunlight make this frozen landscape virtually uninhabitable for humans. Yet these harsh conditions have created a unique and fascinating world of unusual plants and curious animals, mostly amphibians.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Lost Antarctica by James McClintock was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,438,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible