A Divine Cordial by Thomas Watson

A Divine Cordial (1663)

by Thomas Watson

This is a wonderful exposition of Romans 8:28. Very clear and highly readable, I highly recommend it. ( )
  Adewoye | Feb 20, 2014 |
Very good, practically worn it out.
  Fscholl | Jan 12, 2011 |
All Things For Good is teaching me alot about Scripture as well as Puritan writings. Looking at Watson's history with the church, one can see that God teaches by subjection. I am gaining more insight especially on the topic of "The evil of sin works for the good of the godly."
I cannot wait to dig deeper into more puritan works, as well as more from Watson. ( )
  acwheel | Dec 18, 2008 |
Great book by Thomas Watson. He deals with Romans 8:28. Watson wrote this to show how even when bad things happens to christians, God can use it for their good. He wrote this after him and 2,000 other Puritan preachers were forced out of the british church. ( )
  JohnnieBurgessJr | Apr 22, 2006 |
I just recently finished dear brother and Pastor Watson's beautiful work All Things for Good (Puritan Paperbacks). Part of the Puritan Paperback series put out by Banner of Truth Publications a few years ago, this small work (just under 130 pages) is absolutely jam-packed with unbelievably solid doctrine written in the most rivetingly poetic language I've ever seen. Most of the Puritans of the 17th century had an uncanny ability to do this, write Biblically sound truth in a way that painted pictures all over your mind and caused you to want to periodically close their books and shout the truth from the rooftops or pause in thanksgiving and repentance to God in the middle of your reading.
All Things for Good is certainly no exception. Watson has written other works, even more doctrinal and systematic in their orientation (A Body of Divinity) and even in these, his language is superb and filled with metaphor and word picture. Scarcely does a sentence go by from the pen of Watson without it being thoroughly soaked and dripping with Scripture. And this is the true beauty and importance of the Puritans - that they themselves were so immersed in the words of Holy writ, that their writing's are simply an outflow from the fresh spring waters from which they daily drank. And this is why so much of what sits on the shelves (and sadly is purchased!) at "Christian" bookstores is so dangerous and devoid of truth and encouragement - because so few authors today are as deeply into the Word of God as our English and early American Puritan forefathers. They were not infallible, they were not perfect. But oh how far have we fallen from their standard of study and sanctification!

I cannot encourage you enough to read not only this work by Watson, but virtually any of the volumes from Banner's PP series. I can vouch for Richard Sibbes The Bruised Reed (Puritan Paperback) and for Baxter's The Reformed Pastor [REFORMED PASTOR]. I have others and plan to get through them. I have not once been disappointed. Nor will you.
added by R.I.F. | editPaul Dare, Paul Dare

We know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. --Romans 8:28

All Things for Good by Thomas Watson provides the biblical answer to the contemporary question: Why do bad things happen to good people? Thomas Watson, the seventeenth-century minister of St. Stephen's Walbrook, believed he faced two great difficulties in his pastoral ministry. The first was making the unbeliever sad, in the recognition of his need of God's grace. The second was making the believer joyful in response to God's grace. He believed the answer to the second difficulty could be found in Paul's teaching in Romans 8:28-God works all things together for good for his people.First published in 1663 (under the title A Divine Cordial), the year after Watson and some two thousand other ministers were ejected from the Church of England and exposed to hardship and suffering, All Things for Good contains the rich exposition of a man who lived when only faith in God's word could lead him to such confidence.Thomas Watson's exposition is always simple, illuminating, and rich in practical application. He explains that both the best and the worst experiences work for the good of God's people. He carefully analyzes what it means to be someone who "loves God" and is "called according to his purpose."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,504,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible