The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig

The Ashford Affair

by Lauren Willig

A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Extremely similar setup (although they do diverge somewhat in plot later on), and similar tone.
    Paper Towns by John Green (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: "It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined." - John Green

English (32)  Catalan (3)  All languages (35)
I'm not sure why I waited so long to finish this. I hadn't started reading it and then I would put it down to read something else and then I would pick it up again and then put it back down again. Once I finally dug into it I am so glad I did. I thought it was fabulous. It was well written and the transitions between time periods were nice and smooth not clunky like they sometimes are in books like this. I was also very pleased but surprised at the ending. Definitely worth reading.
  SWade0126 | Jan 11, 2019 |
La trama argumental de Ashford Park se desencadena cuando la anciana abuela Addie pronuncia el nombre de de sus labios, en lo que parece un delirio sin sentido. A partir de ahí, empezará a desenterrarse por parte de su nieta, la desequilibrada abogada Clementine, y su familiar político Jon, una serie de sucesos que trastocan completamente el pasado familiar.

Paralelamente vamos conociendo más sobre el pasado de Addie, con constantes flashback a su pasado, desde Manhattan, hasta Kenia, pasando por Inglaterra. Al mismo tiempo, regresamos a la actualidad de Clementine en Nueva York, personaje que no termina de evolucionar de forma fluida a lo largo de la historia.

El punto fuerte del que puede presumir las páginas de Ashford Park es en el momento de relatar hábilmente la vida de Addie, personaje en el que recae el peso de la historia. Sin embargo, éste se desarrolla de forma vertiginosa, a veces enredándose en detalles sin importancia, y pasando por alto otros más vitales. Cuando nos encontramos leyendo las líneas que pertenecen a la actualidad, la narración decae notablemente, sin que el personaje de Clementine llegue a encajar con la historia, al menos no del todo.

A pesar de esto, no es una mala novela, aunque tampoco es sobresaliente. Se deja leer, incluso se le toma cierto cariño. Pero es de éstas que se olvidan fácilmente. ( )
  MiriamBeizana | Dec 3, 2018 |
Told in alternating chapters, this is the story of Addie, the poor orphan cousin who comes to live at her uncle's estate in England and becomes like a sister to Bea, the middle daughter, and also the story of her granddaughter, Clemmie, a hardworking lawyer who hopes to become a partner at her firm in New York City. As each woman's life unfolds, we find Clemmie doesn't know her grandmother all that well despite having lived with her for many years.
I'm a huge fan of Ms. Willig. This is an excellent read. There's romance, intrigues, and all the glitter of Edwardian England aristocracy mixed with the more prosaic life of a woman struggling in a man's world in the late 1990s. The settings go from post WWI war London to the coffee plantations of Kenya. The history is enthralling, and the relationships of the characters is complex. I did feel the ending was a little rushed as Clemmie and Jon solve the mystery of Granny Addie fairly neatly, but all in all, this is an excellent read. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Oct 19, 2018 |
Predictable but just enjoyable enough that the pages go quickly. Characters range from interesting to annoying to shallow and the ending was weak. Can't say I'll read more of this author based on this book but it was fine for my "summer reading." ( )
  jpnygard | Aug 2, 2018 |
I expected a lot more from this book, esp after reading all of the glowing reviews.
The story flip flops between two different generations. The grandmother's story begins in England in the early 1900s and moves to Kenya in the 1920s. The grand-daughter's story takes place in 1999-2000, in New York.
I loved the earlier part of the story, the author evoked the sights and sounds of Kenya so beautifully that I could just picture myself there. Unfortunately there wasn't enough of the Kenyan storyline, which resulted in the lower satisfaction rating.
Too much of the book is focused on the grand-daughter's story, she being a self-centered, uninteresting workaholic. The author also introduced another storyline about a potential drug company scandal but then did not follow through on this. More editing on this book was needed before it went to print.
For secrets & lies stories that shift between the past & present, I prefer the writings of Kate Morton or Kimberley Freeman. ( )
  Icewineanne | Aug 4, 2016 |
To James, now and always
Addie's gloves were streaked with sweat and red dust.

As a lawyer in a large Manhattan firm, just shy of making partner, Clementine Evans has finally achieved almost everything she’s been working towards—but now she’s not sure it’s enough. Her long hours have led to a broken engagement and, suddenly single at thirty-four, she feels her messy life crumbling around her. But when the family gathers for her grandmother Addie’s ninety-ninth birthday, a relative lets slip hints about a long-buried family secret, leading Clemmie on a journey into the past that could change everything. . . .

Growing up at Ashford Park in the early twentieth century, Addie has never quite belonged. When her parents passed away, she was taken into the grand English house by her aristocratic aunt and uncle, and raised side-by-side with her beautiful and outgoing cousin, Bea. Though they are as different as night and day, Addie and Bea are closer than sisters, through relationships and challenges, and a war that changes the face of Europe irrevocably. But what happens when something finally comes along that can’t be shared? When the love of sisterhood is tested by a bond that’s even stronger?

From the inner circles of British society to the skyscrapers of Manhattan and the red-dirt hills of Kenya, the never-told secrets of a woman and a family unfurl.

Feeling unfulfilled in the face of an imminent legal partnership and a broken engagement, Manhattan lawyer Clementine Evans learns of a long-buried family secret that leads her to the inner circles of World War I British society and the red hills of Kenya.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,792,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible