The Blood-Hungry Spleen and Other Poems…

The Blood-Hungry Spleen and Other Poems About Our Parts

by Allan Wolf

I really enjoyed these poems. Everyone was centered around a certain body part and explained why it's important. I think it is a fun and creative way to introduce autonomy to a class ( )
  Phallan | Apr 26, 2017 |
I really liked this nonfictional text about the human body. It was a collect ion of poems about various parts of the human body and their functions. It made learning anatomy fun for a child through a number of jokes and silly illustrations. ( )
  alarso2 | May 19, 2014 |
“The Blood Hungry Spleen” is a collection of poems that all center around a different body part. The main message of these poems are to inform the reader of the functions and importance of body parts in a fun and creative way. One way the author gets this message across is through comparisons of humans to animals. In the nose poem the author compares a human nose to that of a dog nose for fun added effect but also to show the reader differences in noses. Also, the author writes from the perspective point of the feet which gives the reader a new perspective to look at the different uses of a familiar body part that usually goes unnoticed. Another thing the author does to make this book educational as well as fun is by using medical terms like penis, anus, reproduce. He does not shy away from using the correct terms which really adds to the teaching purpose of this book. Finally, the author got their message across by telling both easy and simple tasks that a body part does all the way to complex tasks. This shows the reader that all things that your body does are equally important.
  CarolinePfrang | May 6, 2014 |
This book is a collection of poetry about the body. The main point of this book was to look at parts of the body in a humorous way. Overall, I did not like this book. The main reason that I did not like this book was it was too gross for me. I just do not enjoy reading about gross things about the body, or in general really, so this book just was not for me. Even though I did not like the book in general, there were a few things that I did like about it. One thing that I did like about it was the clever titles that some of the poems had. For example, I really liked the title “You Nose Makes Sense.” I love plays on words, so I thought the title was really great. Another thing that stood out to me was one of the lines in one of the less gross poems “Ode to My Toes.” The line that I really liked in this poem was “toes are who the fingers call when math gets out of hand.” When thinking about toes and their uses, I never would have come up with that, and I thought that was really clever. ( )
  MelissaPatek | May 5, 2014 |
I really liked this collection of poems about different parts of the body. The author's language was engaging but also very informational for children to learn about the different parts of the body. I like the authors comic language as well. When she talks about toes she says "must be unbearable to cramp you in a shoe," or when she says how toes are often "looked down on." She even approaches talking about the anus. She again brings a comedic aspect to the poem by saying how it is not appreciated but loves its job. I liked the comedic elements the author brought because for children anatomy can be complicated and confusing, but in this collection of poems children can understand the part of their body in a simple way. The author also used many comparisons that would help children, such as in the poem about the nose comparing how much we smell to how much a dog can smell. The main message of this book was information about what different part of our bodies do for us. ( )
  kwiggi3 | May 5, 2014 |

"Makes a terrific and enriching addition to any life-science course and a charming gateway into deeper discussions of the body." — SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL

Have you ever wondered what some of your body parts do? How many times a year your heart beats? How big your small intestines are? Which of your muscles looks most like a slug? Certain to appeal to elementary-school children, these thirty-four humorous, anatomically accurate poems explore the workings of our bodies with great verve and enthusiasm — and plenty of outrageous illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:00 -0400)

More than three dozen poems describe individual parts of the body and what they do for us and for some parts, such as the face, the verses describe how we communicate nonverbally with other people.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,051,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible