Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo,…

Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo, and Me: A Graphic Memoir (edition 2012)

by Ellen Forney

Member:jocainster
Title:Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo, and Me: A Graphic Memoir
Authors:Ellen Forney
Info:Gotham (2012), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:graphic novel, bipolar

Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo, and Me: A Graphic Memoir by Ellen Forney

I love Ellen Forney and, although I'm completely down with the content and her amazing journey, it just didn't strike me as amazing. Probably more me than the actual book. ( )
  Brainannex | Jan 23, 2015 |
Why do graphic novels always seem to have more truthiness than the written word? Marbles is a perfect example. The artist, Ellen Forney, has mental illness in almost every branch of her mother's family tree. She gets a referral to a psychiatrist and then the hunt begins for the right combination of meds that will both lift her depression and reduce her "jazzed" upswings. This is an incredibly difficult task that will take years.

Forney draws and narrates her quest to understand her illness and to convince herself that she can still be a functioning artist without having her creativity destroyed by the impact of the meds. Any reader will gain insight and sympathy into a bipolar existence, but those who enjoy graphic novels will be particularly thrilled by having such a deep, downlow experience so effectively conveyed. Marbles reminded me of Alison Bechdel - and there is surely no higher compliment. ( )
  froxgirl | Jan 21, 2015 |
I read this book, laughing, nodding, cringing and crying - felt like I was reading my own life. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Jan 16, 2015 |
Ellen Forney's graphic “Marbles” is a memoir about mental illness. It is also funny, silly and charming. Forney vividly portrays both the deep depression and manic highs of bi-polar disorder. Her art is unique, lively and bursting with emotion. It is both intensely personal and widely relevant, particularly as she delves into the links between creativity and mental illness. “Marbles” is a must-read for writers and artists as well as people battling depression and other mood disorders. ( )
  laurustina | Jan 14, 2015 |
This graphic memoir depicts artist Ellen Forney's experience when diagnosed with a bipolar personality, and her efforts to come terms with the manic and depressive periods of her life, as well as the cocktails of pharmaceuticals to help address this. Forney explores the idea of the "troubled artist" stereotype, wondering if medication would kill her creativity, but also learning of the terrible struggles of famed bipolar artists. This book ends on an upbeat note as Forney reflects on how she's changed since her diagnosis, and grows to accept some of the tradeoffs in life.

Favorite Passages:

"Sometimes it seems like 'pain' is too obvious a place to turn for inspiration. Pain isn't always deep anyway. Sometimes it's awful and that's it. Or boring.

Surely other things can be as profound as pain ... ?" ( )
  Othemts | Dec 23, 2014 |
Dedicated with immense gratitude to my mother & to my psychiatrist
Every time Owen traced a new line with his needle, I could SEE the sensation--a bright white light, an electrical charge, up and to the right.

Shortly before her thirtieth birthday, Ellen Forney was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Flagrantly manic but terrified that medications would cause her to lose her creativity and livelihood, she began a years-long struggle to find mental stability without losing herself or her passion. Searching to make sense of the popular concept of the "crazy artist," Ellen found inspiration from the lives and work of other artist and writers who suffered from mood disorders, including Vincent van Gogh, Georgia O'Keeffe, William Styron, and Sylvia Plath.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Marbles by Ellen Forney was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,146,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible