No title

Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Too Good to Be True: A Memoir by Benjamin Anastas

In part, this book is a love letter from a father to his son, beautifully written. But more than that, it is a story of failure, and it turns out the author means mostly financial failure. I know it is difficult to downsize when things get tough, but I can't wrap my head around worrying a partner will leave me because I'm not solvent, or hiding bill collection notices, or even paying attention to debt collectors. And if these things are important, hasn't this dude heard of bankruptcy?

Anastas is embarrassed that he counts change to buy groceries. Cashing in less than $9.00 at a Coinstar was humiliating to him. At the end of the month I have split purchases over two debit cards and cash, with said cash being in the form of coins totaling less than $1.00. I'm sure it is different being a parent and provider. Much different. But if he's really worried about not having nine thousand dollars to buy his girlfriend an engagement ring...wow. His standards are far higher than mine. ( )
  dysmonia | Apr 15, 2014 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0547913990, Hardcover)

A Q&A with Ben Anastas

Susan Choi is the author of three acclaimed novels, The Foreign Student (winner of an Asian American Literary Award), American Woman (a Pulitzer Prize finalist) and A Person of Interest (finalist for the PEN/Faulkner Award). She recently won a 2012 James Beard Foundation Award for her food writing.

Susan Choi: What made you want to write this book?

Ben Anastas: I’m not sure that I ever really wanted to write Too Good to Be True. The motivation behind the book ran much deeper than that. The word “want” implies a choice, and when I started writing the book’s first pages, having the freedom to choose what to do with my life—even calling myself a writer—felt like a privilege I had lost.

I was 41 and my literary career was flat lining. I hadn’t published a book in the U.S. in almost ten years, and the magazines I’d been writing for had either disappeared or stopped answering my emails I’d lost my marriage in a mind-bending divorce drama. I was scrambling to keep it all together and telling myself that rescue was just around the corner and everything would be fine—but when the book starts, in the fall of 2010, my financial life was about to hit rock bottom.

Nothing I tried was working. So I started over again, from the beginning. I took an empty notebook and a couple of pens and I started going into my son’s room when he wasn’t there and writing about what was happening, what getting lost in too much life really felt like.

SC: This book is so startling, and funny, and disturbing, and gut-wrenchingly honest. Were there people in your life you particularly hoped would or wouldn’t read it?

BA: If you’re startled as a reader or moved to laughter and/or tears, then I must have done my job, right?

You never know what episodes from your private life will end up making it into a novel. I knew my parents would have to read Too Good to Be True eventually, but I did put it off until I felt confident about what I was doing. The title comes from some very bad therapy that my brother, my sister and me all had during the summer of 1972—a lifetime ago—while our mother was being treated for depression. Their marriage was ending, it was a low-point in their lives, and we were bystanders in a drama that we didn’t understand. I feel very protective of my parents so I was worried from the start about how they would react to those sections of the book. I just had to gulp and hand the manuscript over.

SC: How did fatherhood affect the writing of this book, if at all? How has it affected your writing in general?

BA: My son, who’s five now and too young to read the book—another sigh of relief—is the driving force behind Too Good to Be True, even when he’s not present, and the final chapter is a kind of letter to him explaining what I’ve been up to. So, in a very real sense, the book wouldn’t exist without him. You really do need a reason to go on when you find yourself broke at forty-one and hiding collection notices in your underwear drawer, and he was a very big reason why I managed to go on.

When a child’s room is empty, you really know it. There’s no clamor inside, no calls for “Daddy,” no astonishing new mess to clean up. As a part-time father, it’s a quiet that I’ve had to learn to get used to. There was something very satisfying about the ritual of going into his room and trying to find my way on paper. His bed was made and empty, his stuffed animals were heaped at my side, his clothes were stacked on the dresser and there I was with my notebook, trying to untangle the mystery of my origins so he wouldn’t have to.

SC: What comes next?

BA: There’s a novel brewing. Definitely fiction. I’ve had my fill of reality experiments!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:19 -0400)

Recounts the author's efforts to rebuild in the face of a failing literary career and his wife's abandonment for another man, describing how his love for his young son inspired the confrontation of his own painful childhood memories.

21 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,964,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible