A Dog Called Homeless by Sarah Lean

A Dog Called Homeless

by Sarah Lean

1941760,720 (4.04)None

I read this book with a heavy heart. No 11 year old should have to go through the death of a parent. But that age old saying "everything happens for a reason"'doesn't even begin the explain why suddenly Cally "sees" her mom appear and always sees a dog at the same time. The connection hits you like a wall on page 179 and will give you such goosebumps. Love doesn't even describe how much I loved this book! I have 5 students reading it and a waiting list of kids hoping to know Cally. ( )
  mpettit7974 | Dec 21, 2017 |
A year after her mother’s death, Cally sees her mother at the cemetery but no one will believe her. Worse yet, no one wants her to talk about her mother. She continues to see her mother often along with a friendly wolfhound and an elderly homeless man. She volunteers to not talk for a day at school to help raise money for a children’s hospice home and decides to continue her silence since no one wants to listen to her or talk about her mother. This is a wonderful story of friendship, love, hope and courage in the face of great loss. Written for tweens, it will touch the heart of everyone who reads it.

Sharyn H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
Once I started this book, I couldn’t put it down. Cally is a young girl whose mother had passed away about a year ago. Cally finds it easier to not talk to anyone. There is a homeless man in the story that Cally shows empathy towards. She also becomes friends with a boy who is blind and cannot hear very well. Without giving out too much about the story, it really was about a family coming to terms with the death of a family member. I haven’t cried that much for a long time. Great book! I think that this is a great read for children who have lost a loved one. It lets them know that it’s okay to grieve and in your own way.
  LVeum | Feb 15, 2016 |
Sensitive, gentle and poignant. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
Schneider Family Award. This is a story about a young girl who loses her mother, but still sees her. No one believes that she can see her Mom, so she decides to stop talking. Grief and friendship are dominant themes. Lovely book with great character development. ( )
  root.katy | Jun 9, 2014 |

When Cally Fisher says she sees her dead mother, no one believes her. The only other living soul who sees Cally's mom is a mysterious wolfhound who always seems to be there when her mom appears. And when Cally stops talking—what's the point if no one is listening?—how will she convince anyone that her mom is still with them or persuade her dad that the huge silver-gray dog is their last link with her?

A Dog Called Homeless is the gentle and touching story of how one girl's friendship with a homeless dog can mend a family's heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:44 -0400)

Fifth-grader Cally Louise Fisher stops talking, partly because her father and brother never speak of her mother who died a year earlier, but visions of her mother, friendships with a homeless man and a disabled boy, and a huge dog ensure that she still communicates.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,551,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible