Indiscretion: A Novel by Charles Dubow

Indiscretion: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Charles Dubow (Author)

1541977,562 (3.7)1
Member:ReneeGKC
Title:Indiscretion: A Novel
Authors:Charles Dubow (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2013), Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, e-books
Tags:ARC, nook

Indiscretion by Charles Dubow

This was a great read. The picture pefect family is put through the test of lies and betrayal. The story as told through the voice of Maddy's childhood friend, Walter, godfather to her son, sets an intimate story of family, friendship, love and betrayal, devotion and survival of a broken marriage. Is it possible to have a happy ever after ending? Character development was superb. The perfect couple with the perfect marriage that was jeopardized for lust and selfishness. ( )
  booklovers2 | Apr 23, 2014 |
I've found that most of the time, I can actually judge a book by its cover. I almost bypassed this book because I didn't particularly like the cover but almost as an afterthought, I agreed to read Indiscretion and review it as part of a book tour. I am so glad that I did! Charles Dubow's writing really surprised me. His words are thoughtful and well-meaning. His characters well-developed. And although the storyline has been done before, his settings makes it new.

I really enjoyed Indiscretion. I loved the ring side seat that Dubow gives us as we watch so many lives unravel because of one chance meeting. I loved how he slowly unveiled the relationships between characters, letting us understand histories and presents and even guess at futures.

In some ways, this was a difficult book to read. Dubow's characters are multi-faceted with complicated reasons for their choices in the story. He shows us that we are not always good and do not always make our decisions with the best intentions in mind. And, that sometimes, those decisions, as innocuous as they may seem, have lasting effects on all those around us.

As, I said, I was surprised that I enjoyed this book as much as I did. I'm also surprised that it has not gotten more interest in the book media. It is a surprisingly well-written debut. My only complaint is an obvious literary technique thrown in near the end of the book that I feel was unnecessary but it was only a minor bump in the road, just a page or two of nothingness that didn't need to be there. Once I got past it, I was swallowed up by the story again until I turned the last page.

I recommend this book to anyone looking for a serious read that tackles tough topics. Indiscretion is not a light read. It takes a deep look at marriage and at friendships and at fate. It might make you angry and it might even make you cry.

One thing that I found interesting about the author, Charles Dubow, is that he stutters. The thought of speaking in front of people terrifies me so I can only imagine how much more terrifying it would be with a speech impediment like stuttering. Mr. Dubow wrote an article for Newsweek, discussing his experiences growing up with a stutter and what it is like for him now as he promotes his novel through speaking engagements: The Newsweek Article

*Thanks again to Harper Collins and TLC Book Tours for my copy of Indiscretion. I received the free copy in return for an honest review. ( )
  jsamaha | Mar 14, 2014 |
I have to tell you that Indiscretion is the perfect Summer novel. It grabbed my attention from the first page. It's a deliciously salacious novel that features rich folks behaving badly. The story opens as Claire, a beautiful young and broke New Yorker heads off to the Hamptons for a weekend romp.

Wait. I think I'm making this novel sound trite and it's not. What happens as a result of Claire's weekend will change the lives of those she encounters forever. Oops, there I go again. Vague, yes, but I will leave it at that because one of my favorite things about this book was not being sure where things were going for Claire, or anyone else. I highly caution you about reading too many reviews of this book for that very reason. I suggest you save those reading eyes for the book itself. ( )
  lizzyg | Mar 10, 2014 |
Harry and Maddy are a happily married middle-aged couple with a young son who has health issues. Harry is a famous author, Maddy the party hostess and friend everyone adores. They have a social circle that includes Walter, a lonely man who is our narrator. A beautiful young woman named Claire enters their lives and they take her under their wing, and all is well until their happy little world is shattered by an indiscretion.

Most of these type of novels are about the woman wronged, but I found this look at adultery from the male perspective intriguing. Walter, the friend, is the narrator and given that this takes place mostly on a summer place in the Hamptons and is about an obsessive love affair, it echoes The Great Gatsby.
The characters are interesting, especially Maddy, and the plot keeps the reader invested in the story. The last few chapters are incredibly sad and devastating, and I found myself impressed with Dubrow's ability to move the reader so deeply in his debut novel. There are some explicit (and well written) sex scenes, so if that offends you, this book may not be for you. ( )
  bookchickdi | Nov 8, 2013 |
It's an idyllic summer in the Hamptons when Claire meets the Winslow family: Harry, Maddy, and their young son, Johnny. Harry is a National Book Award-winning author whose story-telling prowess makes him a favorite in their social circle. His wife, Maddy, is a beautiful woman from a rich family who has a generous soul despite her family's harshness. In their cottage near the beach, the family throws parties, plays tennis, and is nearly universally loved by everyone, especially Claire.

Claire met a man in the city who invited her out to his house in the Hamptons for the weekend, where she discovers that the two aren't having a weekend to themselves, but a weekend with a few of Clive's irritating clients. When the group attends a party at the Winslows' house, Claire quickly becomes enamored of the family and the life that they live. When things go bad with Clive, Harry and Maddy adopt Claire into their circle of friends for the summer. The summer passes in a perfect series of cook-outs and tennis matches and parties, but when it ends, and Claire learns that Harry, Maddy, and Johnny will be leaving for Rome for a year, things begin to unravel. What follows is a slow unfolding of deception and tragedy that will change all of their lives forever.

The first thing I noticed about Indiscretion is that it has tons of great, believable dialogue. I don't remember that I love good dialogue, and I rarely think to miss it in books that are a little quieter, but when it shows up, I always appreciate how it breathes life into a story and seems to move it along at a quicker pace. Even better is when dialogue brings out aspects of characters so that readers don't have to be told that Harry tells great stories that draw people into his orbit or that Maddy's innate decency is put into practice as she welcomes Claire into her life. Dubow's novel is filled with just such excellent dialogue, but just the same it doesn't rely on it too heavily. Rather, it provides just another window into the house where Walter's narration has opened the door.

Walter is Maddy's best friend from childhood who has only grown closer to Maddy and her family with time. As such, Walter makes for a great narrator. Certainly, he might be a little biased, but as the stalwart family friend and perennial bachelor, he has a unique perspective on the events at hand. He tells the story of his friends' downfall with unique insight and the wisdom of an observer that is both a part of the story, yet not so involved as to lose all perspective. Drawing together the things he experiences first-hand with the things he learns over time, Walter collects a complete picture of events, and his recollection is vivid and lightly seasoned with, at times, philosophical reflection on the tragic events that come to pass in his friends' lives.

Indiscretion is a dark and unnerving story of a seemingly perfect family falling from grace, told with such flare that it's impossible to look away until the last page is turned. ( )
  yourotherleft | Sep 7, 2013 |
E cossi desio me mena (And so desire carries me away)------------Petrarch
Great Lovers lie in Hell..... John Crowe Ransom
To Melinda
Prologue: The Poet A.E. Housman wrote of the "Land of Lost content", and how he can never return to the place where he had once been so happy.
Summer: Eleven in the Morning.

When Harry and Madeleine Winslow meet Claire, they are drawn to her youth, quiet intelligence, and naivete, and over the course of the summer, reverence transforms into dangerous desire.

7 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,718,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible