Raising Cubby: A Father and Son's…

Raising Cubby: A Father and Son's Adventures with Asperger's,…

by John Elder Robison

John Robison is still one of the better writers out there when it comes to writing about Asperger's. I have read several books in pursuit of finding out more about Asperger's (of which I probably have, which hasn't been diagnosised). His books are some of the better ones of what it's like.

Schlyne | Nov 12, 2015 |
If men are from Mars, and women from Venus, then John Elder Robison is from a whole different universe from me. That's not to say I didn't like the book, because I did, or that I didn't think he loved his son and tried his best to be a good father, because he did. Some brains are wired differently, and that difference makes it hard for those individuals to fit into the world where most of us reside. So when you get an intelligent, articulate, and observant man, who has a differently wired brain, telling the story of raising a differently wired son, someone (such as myself) with mundane wiring in my brain, can only marvel at the alternate viewpoint.

The main thing that jumped out at me, aside from how much Robison loved his boy, is the vast imagination of the man. The stories he told his son were marvelous: getting Cubby from a store that sold kids, rather than that vastly unbelievable "mommy and daddy made you" or "the stork brought you"; how Santa got started, what that stone figure of a child holding a lantern at the end of someone's driveway really was. The activities he and his son did together were wonderful, too, and the solution to getting past security guards who wouldn't let him take his son to explore stockyards, energy plants, etc that they wanted to see, was brilliant. It was such a different world view than my own, and so fascinating.

Robison was diagnosed at age 40 with Asperger's; his son was diagnosed shortly after that. The boy's mother also turns out to be on the autistic spectrum, as do several other people who appear in the book. (And while not on the autistic scale, Robison's younger brother has written about his own life in the memoir Running With Scissors. Finding a way to work in the mainstream world is a struggle and a challenge for such folks. I know people in my own life who also fall in this spectrum, some who have managed more successfully than others, but I do know the hard work it takes. This book not only recounts the story of getting Cubby from babyhood to young adult (with a few minor blow-ups, pun intended, along the way), but it serves to help raise the awareness of those of us with the standard brain wiring of the gifts and challenges "different" folks bring to our world.

Tags: biography-autobiography-or-memoir, blogging-for-books, made-me-laugh-out-loud-for-real, made-me-look-something-up, read, taught-me-something, wow

Thank you to Blogging for Books and to the publishers for sending me a copy of this book. ( )
  bookczuk | Aug 26, 2014 |
A wonderful read an incredibly devoted father to his Aspergian son. As the reader you live through the trials and tribulations of his son growing up with Aspergers and succeeds in the end. What is stranger than fiction is that both the father and Mother are Aspergians but they didn't know it in the early years just as they didn't know that their son was for some time. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Feb 14, 2014 |

Recounts how Asperger's syndrome has shaped the author's experiences as a parent, describing his unconventional approaches to fatherhood and his eventual discovery that his son shared the same condition.

11 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,861,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible