Celtic Run by Sean Vogel

Celtic Run (edition 2012)

by Sean Vogel

551,436,638 (4.4)None
Member:mrsmonnandez
Title:Celtic Run
Authors:Sean Vogel
Info:MB Publishing, LLC (2012), Paperback, 160 pages

Celtic Run by Sean Vogel

ADV (1) fiction (1) Ireland (2) mystery (1) study abroad (1) travel (1) treasure (1) Vogel (1) YA (1)

Zach, Jake's rival, and Julie, his crush, also end up in the same small town in Ireland. When they uncover a clue to a treasure, the foursome quickly get to work unraveling the clues. Unfortunately, they are not the only ones looking for the treasure.

The entire book felt like a cross between Goonies and Home Alone. Despite this, I thought it was quite enjoyable, if not a bit serendipitous. Everything magically fell into place, including the fairy-tale like ending. Nonetheless, I think middle-schoolers will highly enjoy the book and be left wanting to read more about Jake and his friends. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Dec 12, 2012 |
From its opening pages to its final chapter, Celtic Run offers readers an action-packed adventure full of romance, peer problems, and more than a little luck o’ the Irish. Set amidst a breathtaking backdrop, this story follows Jake McGreevy as he travels to the place of his ancestors for a school project only to find himself in the middle of a centuries-old treasure hunt. Armed with his trusty Leatherman multi-tool, a well-worn guidebook, and three friends (only two of whom he actually likes), Jake pieces together clues to find the loot that may be his last hope of making things right with his father. The teens battle the elements (endless gray skies, chilly summer nights—typical Ireland) and their own inhibitions to find the treasure before a gang of thieves beats them to it—or kills them all—and what they find is more valuable than they could ever imagine.

Sean Vogel does the Irish landscape justice with his attention to detail. From the soaring cliffs that hug the coastline to the majestic make-up of Corráin Castle, readers can easily envision the juxtaposition of a peaceful country and the dangers the teens face (some of which seem very improbable, but a little willing suspension of disbelief will do the trick). Vogel’s occasional sprinkling of Irish phrases will enchant readers, leaving them with foreign words to add to their collections. Despite a few passages that suffer from awkward syntax, Vogel manages to charm his readers with his amiable protagonist, non-stop action, and witty one-liners. Readers won’t be able to help eagerly flipping the page pages, reading as quickly as the characters run away from their pursuers, until they come upon the satisfying conclusion. Teens and YA-fiction lovers of all ages will find themselves cheering for Jake and his crew as they traverse the rugged Land of Éire in search of the fortune of a lifetime.

POTENTIAL TEACHABLES: Irish words and phrases; difference between “Irish” and “Gaelic”; types of Gaelic; Ireland’s geography and brief history; Spanish words and phrases; Spanish Armada; 1588; inner monologue as indirect characterization; rising action points to build climax; landscape as character; words to enhance imagery. ( )
  mrsmonnandez | Nov 8, 2012 |
Review: Celtic Run by Sean Vogel
4 STARS A Jake McGreevy Novel Celtic Run is a fast paced adventure, treasure hunting tale. It is good clean fun entertainment. It starts out on airplane from NYC to Ireland some students are having a long field trip.They are going to stay with different host families. Some even in different cities. Julie's father pulled string so the three of them would be in the same town. Jake has been friends for years. He really likes her and can't see what she sees in that bully Zach. Jake is smart and handy around tools and gadgets. He is really short. Zach plays football and likes to tease and torture Jake. Zach & Julie's host families we never see about them besides they have money. Zach & Julie's family have money too. Jake's host family has a daughter about his age Maggie. They are in am older car but it works. Mrs.O'Connell runs the pub. Mr. O'Connell is unemployed but still looking for work. The O'Connell family and thats the important part. They parked at a viewing point and all got out to look at the water they were only 15 feet to the water. Jake noticed a little tolder chasing a butterfly and wemt over the side. Jake ran and jumped right after. He almost gave up finding her but he did and the second time they both went under he did not let her go. When Jake gets pulled out he had spanish coin and a clue tp a treasure. The four teenagers decide to work together to find the treasure. They have a lot of drama. Someone else is trying to find the treasure. They are dangerous and want the clues to the treasure. In the pub Jake finds a uncle who says he is in the milatary and call if he needs anything. The bartender does not believe the older gentleman story. I would read other books from Sean Vogel in the future. They drew me into the story and I wanted to be there. I was given this ebook to read in exchange for honest review from Netgalley. 05/24/2012 PUB. MB Publishing, LLC Imprint Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA), Members' Tities ISBN:9780962416699 ( )
  rhonda1111 | Jul 25, 2012 |
I seldom read books twice unless a long period of time has passed. I read this book twice to make sure I had not missed anything. I don't know if it is my desire to one day visit Ireland, my love of all things Irish, all coupled with characters that were very believable that made this such a wonderful book to read. I was with them throughout their adventures. I loved the way they had to go from one clue, and research different parts of the island to find what they were looking for. I loved the way that Jake became more mature and assertive as time went on. I really enjoyed the way he could come up with gadgets to help them out. Once scene came to life in my mind that I could see Maggie dancing and hear the music in my head. Maybe it is because my daughter did Irish dance for a couple of years. I have a small collection Irish music. Books like this make me want to research my family to see where we come from. I know my great-grandfather and two of his brother's came from Ireland and settled along the Ohio River. That is all I know at this point. I will definitely recommend this book to my students. I see this is the first in a series so I look forward to seeing what other adventures Jake will get himself into. ( )
  skstiles612 | Jul 18, 2012 |
Celtic Run is the tale of a New York boy's adventures while on a class trip to Ireland with his secret crush and her boyfriend, who also happens to be his nemesis. While there, Jake discovers a clue to ancient Spanish treasure. Hoping to solve the riddle so he can buy back the family boat and relive some of his most cherished memories with his father, Jake recruits their help along with the assistance of the girl whose family he's staying with in Ireland to try to solve the riddle. Trying to track down the goods would be difficult enough on its own ... now throw in some bad guys who are intent on taking the booty for themselves.

This book is a very fun read. The plot has plenty of twists and turns that kept me guessing as to what would happen next. The characters are well fleshed out and I found myself rooting not only for Jake, but for his hometown enemy. I was impressed with the personal growth of the characters as well as the development of the relationships between them. There are some very pointed lessons in the book which I found very refreshing and instructive. The chapters are structured in such a way to make it readable for younger readers as well (my 8 year old is now tearing through the pages). The author's descriptive narrative of the Irish countryside was poetic without being too wordy. The plot developed at a great pace building to a wonderfully imaginative ending.

I recommend this book for the 8- to 14-year-old set, as well as for any adults looking to relive part of their childhood. Celtic Run took me back to the days when I was young and stayed up late, hidden under my covers with a flashlight, poring over the pages of books like Follow My Leader and The Indian in the Cupboard. All said, a fantastic read. Thank you to Mr. Vogel for the opportunity to read and review his work. ( )
  slarsoncollins | Jun 27, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 096241669X, Paperback)

Gold Recipient:The Mom's Choice Awards®
Winner: The Global eBook Awards

Jake, a 14-year-old gadget whiz, didn't plan on a summer full of treasure, thieves, and danger. He just got lucky. While in Ireland on a class trip, Jake stumbles upon the first clue to a treasure missing from the Spanish Armada. Jake sees the riches as his chance to buy back the family sailboat and restore a piece of the life he enjoyed before his father was critically injured in an accident. Desperate to find the treasure, Jake teams up with Zach, his nemesis and class bully, and two girls in a clue-hunting chase across the Dingle Peninsula. Dodging would-be thieves, exchanging wisecracks with Zach, and concocting ingenious devices to get them out of scrapes, Jake leads the team as they connect piece after piece to the more than 400-year-old mystery.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:42 -0400)

While in Ireland on a class trip, Jake stumbles upon the first clue to a treasure missing from the Spanish Armada. Jake sees the riches as his chance to buy back the family sailboat and restore a piece of the life he enjoyed before his father was critically injured in an accident. Desperate to find the treasure, Jake teams up with Zach, his nemesis and class bully, and two girls in a clue-hunting chase across the Dingle Peninsula.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,125,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible