The Conference of the Birds by Peter Sis

The Conference of the Birds (edition 2011)

by Peter Sis

Member:edwin.gleaves
Title:The Conference of the Birds
Authors:Peter Sis
Info:Penguin Press HC, The (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 160 pages
Tags:Birds

The Conference of the Birds by Peter Sis

English (17)  Czech (1)  All (18)
This is my first experience with the Persian story/poem of abandoning pre-conceptions and leisure to go through trials to find answers within yourself. The story is much abbreviated and while the tale is fairly common, it is a story I like hearing so I may seek out a longer adaptation or perhaps the full translation. I think I would have preferred the book if it had provided a little more from the original poem. The artistry is at times interesting and beautiful, but most of the time I found it just okay. I guess it's not my style. ( )
  kparr | Dec 31, 2015 |
I loved this book. The ideas are deep but the writing is not complicated. It is organized in a very interesting way and there are not an overwhelming amount of text. Each chapter is short but carries a lot of meaning. I feel that it could be used in a classroom with upper level elementary kids to provoke in depth discussions. This book really pushes the reader to uncover the deeper meaning and understanding of the story. The illustrations on every page are amazing. The combination of illustrations and simple meaningful text make this a truly awesome book. The big idea of the book is to expose readers to beautiful artwork, provide a different point of view and to get children to think about ideas that may be considered "outside of the box". ( )
  rsochu1 | Mar 5, 2015 |
The spare text, based on a 12th-century story, is quite philosophical: this is not a "children's book" per se. The design of the book is remarkable, and the joy is in the details of Sis's lush illustrations. ( )
  KimJD | Apr 8, 2013 |
Sis's breathtaking art brings new life to the 12th century Persian epic poem. Stunningly illustrated and beautifully designed. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Another beautifully illustrated book from Peter Sis. In the true spirit of poetry, the few words he choses to adapt from the lengthy original beautifully convey the messages and story of the original. ( )
  thelukewarm225 | Apr 3, 2013 |

Peter Sisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Janiš, ViktorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Adaptation. Please don't combine with the original.

Presents an illustrated tale of thirty birds and their perilous journey through the seven valleys of Quest, Love, Understanding, Detachment, Unity, Amazement, and Death in a quest to find their true king, the Simorgh.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,792,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible