Pie in the Sky by Jane Smiley

Pie in the Sky

by Jane Smiley

I'm enjoying this series. I was glad to see Abby make friends with Sophia and get to understand her better. She continues to grow. I received this as an advanced readers copy from NetGalley. My edition did not have the wonderful illustrations. I think they are a great enhancement to the story. I would have loved this when I was a child. I plan to recommend the series to all my horsey patrons. ( )
  njcur | Apr 17, 2014 |

Abby Lovitt doesn't realize how unprepared she is when she takes her beloved horse, True Blue, to a clinic led by the most famous equestrian anyone knows. The biggest surprise, though, is that Sophia, the girl who never makes a mistake, suddenly makes so many that she stops riding. Who will ride her horse? Abby's dad seems to think it will be Abby. Pie in the Sky is the most expensive horse Abby has ever ridden. But he is proud and irritable, and he takes Abby's attention away from the continuing mystery that is True Blue.

And then there's high school—Abby finds new friends, but also new challenges, and a larger world that sometimes seems strange and intimidating. She begins to wonder if there is another way to look at horses, people, and life itself.

Accompanied by the beautiful imagery of 1960s Northern California, Abby's charming mix of innocence and wisdom guide us through Pulitzer Prize winner Jane Smiley's latest middle-grade horse novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:36 -0400)

"Abby Lovitt is put in charge of training the expensive and haughty horse Pie in the Sky when his owner refuses. While trying to get a hold on him, she must deal with the new challenges, both good and bad, that come with being a freshman in high school in 1970's Northern California"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,708,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible