Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder…

Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder (edition 2012)

by Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Member:zimbawilson
Title:Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder
Authors:Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Info:Random House (2012), Hardcover, 544 pages
Rating:***
Tags:SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY

Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder by Nassim Nicholas Taleb

English (24)  German (1)  All languages (25)
Not sure I can distill my thoughts on this one without more time and perhaps a revisit to key parts. Taleb's central idea is certainly intriguing and seems cohesive and perhaps even correct, but his presentation, while entertaining, makes it difficult to judge on its own merits. Nonetheless, I'd highly recommend reading this one. Just know that you may waffle between loving and hating it at various points. ( )
  tlockney | Sep 7, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When you first start reading Nassim Nicholas Taleb, you wonder whether he is some kind of a mad man, or at least one of these fragilista bullshitter whose stories populates this book. Then you realize that is is just how he writes.

This is the latest tome in his Incerto series, all of them deserving of being read slowly and carefully, even though he does have a tendency to repeat his points somewhat, not as bad as most business books. The others do it to fill pages because they are lacking in substance, Taleb does it because he wants his points to get across.

This is a summation of the Incerto series, he has explained many of the phenomenon in the previous books, in spades, but this is the grand summation as well as the presentation of his idea of antifragility. I am not going to go into a quick summary of the idea in a book review. It would be inadequate as well as being incredibly disrespectful to the author. His ideas are kind of out there but they are intriguing and they definitely gets you to think, which afterall is why why read ponderous tomes on how to deal with events, both economic and political. Mr. Taleb has literally opened up his thoughts to us and he has invited us into his very unique and fascinating world and how he arrived at the ideas and I for one love the insight. His writing style will put some off from writing. I read his words in the voice of my PHD adviser: imperious, a touch arrogant, definitely self confident, and with a sense of bemused detachment. It was the perfect tone. ( )
  pw0327 | Aug 17, 2014 |
I heard an interview with the author and it was very interesting. So far the prologue is interesting as well, I will see if the rest of the book lives up to the hype.
  ChrisBriden | Jan 26, 2014 |
Excellent book. Requires hard thinking and facing up to the truth.
  fconte | Jul 1, 2013 |
Sometimes Nassim Nicholas Taleb is led astray by his contrarianism, but then that is his point: If you don't take risks, you don't get results. This is a bold, entertaining, clever book, richly crammed with insights, stories, fine phrases and intriguing asides. Does it achieve its goal, or does it cram and twist the world on to a Procrustean bed of one theory, thereby somewhat contradicting its own empirical and pragmatic outlook? I am not sure. I will have to read it again. And again.
added by Taphophile13 | editWall Street Journal, Matt Ridley (Nov 27, 2012)

Antifragile has regional subtitles.

"The acclaimed author of the influential bestseller The Black Swan, Nicholas Nassim Taleb takes a next big step with a deceptively simple concept: the "antifragile." Like the Greek hydra that grows two heads for each one it loses, people, systems, and institutions that are antifragile not only withstand shocks, they benefit from them. In a modern world dominated by chaos and uncertainty, Antifragile is a revolutionary vision from one of the most subversive and important thinkers of our time"--… (more)

49 wanted4 pay3 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1846141567, 1846141575

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Antifragile by was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,988,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible