The Problem is YOU: How to Get Out of Your…

The Problem is YOU: How to Get Out of Your Own Way and Conquer… (edition 2012)

by John Burke

Member:iryn
Title:The Problem is YOU: How to Get Out of Your Own Way and Conquer Self-Defeating Behavior
Authors:John Burke
Info:

The Problem is YOU: How to Get Out of Your Own Way and Conquer Self-Defeating Behavior by John Burke

This book might be the answer somebody's been waiting for, but unfortunately, it wasn't a light at the end of a dark tunnel for me personally. I was really hoping it would be helpful, but it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, and I found the writing to be a smidge juvenile and awkward here and there. I think a self-help book like this one is only useful to a person who needs help, as opposed to being a goldmine of information that can be accessed later. I'm thinking I should pick it up again when I'm not in a good place in my life. This book probably looks very different to an unhappy person- and right now I am quite satisfied with my life. I'll be reading this again later, and perhaps my review will change. The problem here is me, ironically enough. ( )
  psychedelicmicrobus | Feb 25, 2013 |
The Problem Is You written by John Burke is a self-help book about self-defeating behavior. It contained information that I found not only useful, it was very educating. It had a few tips and helpful steps on how to not be self-defeating. While it was very informative, it read like something a well educated student would turn in for a term paper. It was hard to stay focused because it was very clinical, it didn’t draw you in and make you say “Hey these are great tips”. It was more of a “I need to keep reading this because I know these tips are good, even though my mind is already thinking about what I’m going to do next.” This probably means I need to re-read the book so I don’t defeat myself from reading it.

Either way it was a short read, with good information and tips.

[Reviewed as part of the LibraryThing Member's Giveaway Program] ( )
  OodsAteMyDingo | Feb 3, 2013 |
The Problem Is You written by John Burke identifies some patterns and character traits that may contribute to a lack of success. However, it does not offer concrete steps or actions the reader might employ to turn around their circumstances. The tone is more like a newsletter or blog rather than an actual book and appears to be a superficial view of the topic. ( )
  Kyrana | Feb 1, 2013 |
The Problem is You is a well written beginner’s book with lots of helpful tips on how you can change your life. It is a great book for people that are just starting to look within for the solution to their life. A quick read at 36 pages, it can even help people that just need a quick look at something to remember how to use the tools they have. ( )
  N_Stevens | Jan 31, 2013 |
The self-help book The Problem is You by John Burke will have readers declaring, “Finally, someone who knows what I’m going through.” As an analytical work, Burke’s descriptions of self-deprecation and self-defeating behavioral patterns are on target, identifying self-sabotaging emotions that keep a person from experiencing fulfillment. Although, Burke’s book is astute at targeting problem areas in one’s coping mechanisms when dealing with failure, the suggestions he offers to combat negative behavioral patterns are general and stereotypical of “pep talks” that are often ineffectual in helping people to change their perception from being a negative one to becoming a positive one. Sometimes it’s merely being able to identify a problem that enables a solution to present itself.
Read the rest of the review at Barnes and Noble here: http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/Reviews.aspx?reviewid=4370426&p... ( )
  sweetpeasuzie | Jan 30, 2013 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,122,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible