Fables Vol. 18: Cubs in Toyland by Bill…

Fables Vol. 18: Cubs in Toyland (edition 2013)

by Bill Willingham, Mark Buckingham (Illustrator)

Series: Fables (18)

207856,585 (4.12)13
Member:yrchmonger
Title:Fables Vol. 18: Cubs in Toyland
Authors:Bill Willingham
Other authors:Mark Buckingham (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2013), Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, fractured fairy tale, graphic novels/trades, series

Fables, Vol. 18: Cubs in Toyland by Bill Willingham

Recently added byjoralv, miacat_1, CurlyQueL, AmphipodGirl, extrajoker, aurgail, emren, private library, AshleyMiller

English (7)  Dutch (1)  All languages (8)
I see it's been a few years since I gave Fables a chance--nothing's changed much except we've taken a few steps away from the accessibility the early ones had since they were based on characters we all knew and toward arcane backstory (the "cubs" Snow White had with the Big Bad Wolf feature prominently in this one). And then, they've always got good premises, which isn't always only because the ideas are stolen from fairy-tales--here, the idea that the Land of Broken Toys is where toys who kill the children who love them go (mostly by choking or suffocating, new mums and dads take note!) and then they still have to trick children into loving them because otherwise they die too, since the independent life of say a stuffed bear is predicated on a child believing he's real. Creepy and solid. But then Willingham ruins it with his tin ear for dialogue and dwelling a little too moistly on the parts he thinks are gonna shock. I still might read the Camelot one because that is a mythos with rich exploitability and I am working at a place where you can read comics for free a lot lately, but this just feels a bit grimy in places where it should feel wondrous. ( )
2 vote MeditationesMartini | Sep 7, 2014 |
This story arc covers what happens to two of Snow and Bigby's children. In the previous book, you find out there is a prophesy about the kids and this collection covers what happens with two of them. By the close of this volume we now know what happens with three of the kids. I'm wondering if he will continue with the rest or set it aside to continue rebuilding Fabletown. There were two issues in the collection that cover a prophesy about Bigby that he seems to have forgotten all about. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
A great addition to an amazingly excellent series--the illustrations in this volume were just amazing, and the story line--Dare's complete retribution--totally enthralling. ( )
  willowsmom | Jan 14, 2014 |
Summary: Ever since the next North Wind was selected, the rest of Bigby and Snow White's cubs have been restless. Therese, especially, has never stood out amongst her siblings, so when a toy boat she got for Christmas starts whispering to her and encouraging her to run away from home, she musters what little courage she has and sets out. She arrives in the world of Discardia, where broken toys go, and informed that she will be their queen. But the family she's left behind is frantically searching for her, and she soon finds out that being a queen - especially in a place like Toyland - is not all it's cracked up to be.

Review: There was nothing wrong with this volume - it tells a fine, self-contained story, the art is as lovely as ever, there are some funny bits and some sad bits and some clever bits, basically everything I would expect out of a Fables installment. But I didn't really ever get into it the way I have in the past. I think part of the problem is that we haven't really spent a ton of time around the cubs in the previous 17 volumes (not as individuals, for sure), and we don't already know them from other stories the way we do most other newly-introduced characters. So although Therese's (and Dare's) problems were interesting, they weren't that involving, even though they really should have been. I also missed the focus on the main story continuity; I'm okay with self-contained stories, but there were fewer than 10 pages in this volume that dealt with what the other Fables were up to, something in which I was way more interested than I was in the cubs. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: It's a fine installment, probably better than fine, and I suspect my lack of enthusiasm is a very idiosyncratic reaction. Fables fans should enjoy it. ( )
  fyrefly98 | May 5, 2013 |
Willingham continues to bring us unexpected (and fun) plot twists. Hard to wait for the next issues to be published! ( )
  District13 | Apr 16, 2013 |

When Snow and Bigby's cub Therese receives a Christmas gift from an unknown admirer, this red plastic boat magically takes her on a journey to a desolate place known as Toyland. Will Therese be their savior? Or their destroyer?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,050,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible