Fables Vol. 18: Cubs in Toyland by Bill…

Fables Vol. 18: Cubs in Toyland (edition 2013)

by Bill Willingham, Mark Buckingham (Illustrator)

Series: Fables (18)

Title:Fables Vol. 18: Cubs in Toyland
Authors:Bill Willingham
Other authors:Mark Buckingham (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2013), Paperback, 192 pages
Tags:fiction, fractured fairy tale, graphic novels/trades, series

Fables, Vol. 18: Cubs in Toyland by Bill Willingham

English (10)  Dutch (1)  All languages (11)
Tough to read parts of this one but good when it's finished. ( )
  Kurt.Rocourt | May 22, 2015 |
Description: For years, Snow White and Bigby Wolf's cubs have grown up knowing that one of them was destined for a much greater, more grave role amongst the Fables community. But no one knew how soon it would come.

When Snow and Bigby's cub Therese receives a Christmas gift from an unknown admirer, this red plastic boat magically takes her on a journey to a desolate place known as Toyland. Will Therese be their savior? Or their destroyer? FABLES VOL. 18: CUBS IN TOYLAND is the latest epic from New York Times best-selling author Bill Willingham's hit series FABLES, as the Bigby Wolf cubs learn that adventures in the land of misfit toys is much less fun than it sounds.

Thoughts: HOLY SMOKES! After a series of less than amazing volumes, Fables felt like it was coming back a bit in the last issue. This one brought it back WITH A VENGEANCE.

The prophesy from Fables, Vol 17: Inherit the Wind begins to play out in this one, with dark twists and dire consequences. Think the Island of Misfit Toys from the Rudolf movie was charming? Well, Toyland is NOT like that and these misfit toys have a much more sinister story. Therese is stolen away to become Queen but there was no preparing this reader for what was to come, even after 17 other volumes of twisted craziness.

Let me just say, this tale, like many before it, is not a carefree romp. It is dark. It is violent and disturbing. It's sad. But it's amazingly told and the pacing is actually spot on. It will break your heart while also impressing you to bits.

There is one chapter of regular Fables business that seems quite out of place just alone, smack dab in the middle of this other story. I don't really understand why it's there or what it's setting up for the future. There is also a mostly unconnected story at the end, but that's pretty typical and this one was good.

All in all, I'm very pleased with this volume of my favorite (and yet so unpredictable) comic series.

Rating: 4.1

Liked: 4
Plot: 4.5
Characterization: 4
Writing: 4

http://www.librarything.com/topic/148412#3864215 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 17, 2015 |
One of Snow and Bigby's cubs, Therese, has been lured away and taken to another world, Toyland. She is told she is their new queen, but there's something sinister happening here. Snow and Bigby set out to find Therese, as does one of their boys, Darien.

I really liked this one, though there was a short extra section at the end that I didn't find as interesting. ( )
  LibraryCin | Nov 30, 2014 |
I see it's been a few years since I gave Fables a chance--nothing's changed much except we've taken a few steps away from the accessibility the early ones had since they were based on characters we all knew and toward arcane backstory (the "cubs" Snow White had with the Big Bad Wolf feature prominently in this one). And then, they've always got good premises, which isn't always only because the ideas are stolen from fairy-tales--here, the idea that the Land of Broken Toys is where toys who kill the children who love them go (mostly by choking or suffocating, new mums and dads take note!) and then they still have to trick children into loving them because otherwise they die too, since the independent life of say a stuffed bear is predicated on a child believing he's real. Creepy and solid. But then Willingham ruins it with his tin ear for dialogue and dwelling a little too moistly on the parts he thinks are gonna shock. I still might read the Camelot one because that is a mythos with rich exploitability and I am working at a place where you can read comics for free a lot lately, but this just feels a bit grimy in places where it should feel wondrous. ( )
3 vote MeditationesMartini | Sep 7, 2014 |
This story arc covers what happens to two of Snow and Bigby's children. In the previous book, you find out there is a prophesy about the kids and this collection covers what happens with two of them. By the close of this volume we now know what happens with three of the kids. I'm wondering if he will continue with the rest or set it aside to continue rebuilding Fabletown. There were two issues in the collection that cover a prophesy about Bigby that he seems to have forgotten all about. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,698,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible