Fables Vol. 18: Cubs in Toyland by Bill…

Fables Vol. 18: Cubs in Toyland (edition 2013)

by Bill Willingham, Mark Buckingham (Illustrator)

Series: Fables (18)

194760,720 (4.15)12
Member:yrchmonger
Title:Fables Vol. 18: Cubs in Toyland
Authors:Bill Willingham
Other authors:Mark Buckingham (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2013), Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, fractured fairy tale, graphic novels/trades, series

Fables, Vol. 18: Cubs in Toyland by Bill Willingham

English (6)  Dutch (1)  All languages (7)
This story arc covers what happens to two of Snow and Bigby's children. In the previous book, you find out there is a prophesy about the kids and this collection covers what happens with two of them. By the close of this volume we now know what happens with three of the kids. I'm wondering if he will continue with the rest or set it aside to continue rebuilding Fabletown. There were two issues in the collection that cover a prophesy about Bigby that he seems to have forgotten all about. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
A great addition to an amazingly excellent series--the illustrations in this volume were just amazing, and the story line--Dare's complete retribution--totally enthralling. ( )
  willowsmom | Jan 14, 2014 |
Summary: Ever since the next North Wind was selected, the rest of Bigby and Snow White's cubs have been restless. Therese, especially, has never stood out amongst her siblings, so when a toy boat she got for Christmas starts whispering to her and encouraging her to run away from home, she musters what little courage she has and sets out. She arrives in the world of Discardia, where broken toys go, and informed that she will be their queen. But the family she's left behind is frantically searching for her, and she soon finds out that being a queen - especially in a place like Toyland - is not all it's cracked up to be.

Review: There was nothing wrong with this volume - it tells a fine, self-contained story, the art is as lovely as ever, there are some funny bits and some sad bits and some clever bits, basically everything I would expect out of a Fables installment. But I didn't really ever get into it the way I have in the past. I think part of the problem is that we haven't really spent a ton of time around the cubs in the previous 17 volumes (not as individuals, for sure), and we don't already know them from other stories the way we do most other newly-introduced characters. So although Therese's (and Dare's) problems were interesting, they weren't that involving, even though they really should have been. I also missed the focus on the main story continuity; I'm okay with self-contained stories, but there were fewer than 10 pages in this volume that dealt with what the other Fables were up to, something in which I was way more interested than I was in the cubs. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: It's a fine installment, probably better than fine, and I suspect my lack of enthusiasm is a very idiosyncratic reaction. Fables fans should enjoy it. ( )
  fyrefly98 | May 5, 2013 |
Willingham continues to bring us unexpected (and fun) plot twists. Hard to wait for the next issues to be published! ( )
  District13 | Apr 16, 2013 |
The last couple installments of the Fables trade back books have been good but not as excellent as previous books in the series. This book however was truly excellent. I really enjoyed it a lot.

Bigby’s and Snow’s children are growing up and being forced to assume responsibilities. Winter inherited her kingdom in the last book and this book focuses on Therese and Dare. Therese follows her creepy toy boat’s advice and ends up in Toyland. Toyland is a land inhabited by evil toys that needs a new Queen. As Therese struggles to survive and struggles with her sanity, her brother Dare sets off to try and find her.

This was an excellent installment in this series. I loved the adventures in Toyland and how involved we are getting with Bigby’s and Snow’s kids. The prophecy about Bigby’s and Snow’s kids is slowly coming to light. We’ve meet the child that will become a king, in this story we read about the child that does an evil thing and the child that dies to stop her.

The evil toy kingdom is one that’s been written about before. Mike Raicht’s The Stuff of Legend graphic novels do an excellent job exploring a similar theme. This is a dark story and it is very well done. I love how the story wraps up and what Therese decides to do to atone.

There is also a side story about the Fables going to explore Mister Dark’s old castle and finding Nurse Sprat.

The illustration was excellent and in keeping with previous installments. Fans of the series should be pleased with this addition, it’s one of the best Fables installments released in a while.

Overall a very solid addition to the Fables series. I really enjoyed reading more about Snow and Bigby’s children and how they are slowly fulfilling the prophecy. This whole series is recommended to fans of fairy tales and urban fantasy who love graphic novels. ( )
1 vote krau0098 | Feb 17, 2013 |

When Snow and Bigby's cub Therese receives a Christmas gift from an unknown admirer, this red plastic boat magically takes her on a journey to a desolate place known as Toyland. Will Therese be their savior? Or their destroyer?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,098,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible