Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New…

Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version {original…

by Philip Pullman (Retelling)

Other authors: Jacob Grimm (Original), Wilhelm Grimm (Original)

Recently added byAnduin, private library, aeclark, Daxmunro, sarah4uk, Eowyn1, joyhclark, Tracyb83, RyanLiguori, emoreno.emb
    Fairy Tales by Hans Christian Andersen (sturlington)
    sturlington: Two beautiful editions complement one another.
    Swamplandia! by Karen Russell (andomck)

I have always been a fan of stories that are a bit gruesome, love thrillers and horror movies and have had a huge fascination with vampires. So reading the Grimm Brothers version of Cinderella was an obvious choice for me and I am so pleased that I did! This version is is wonderfully gruesome! There are many connections to the more popular versions where animals befriend Cinderella. However, there are numerous differences. For example, there is no fairy godmother, rather nature takes her place. In this version the wicked step sisters literally cut off parts of their feet in order to fit the shoe. I was also shocked by the Prince's ignorance as he actually believed the step sisters. He took them on his horse until the doves told him that he was being an idiot and he looked down to see blood dripping from the slipper. (I couldn't help but wonder what the Grimm brothers were saying about men here). I also very much appreciate that at the end of the story the author, Philip Pullman, takes some time to talk about the different versions of the story that have been written over the years. This book was published in 2012 but the original Grimm Brothers version was published in 1812. I very much look forward to seeing if I can get my hands on the original 1812 version! ( )
  Jess.Taylor | Nov 23, 2018 |
Not a particularly inspiring adaption of the Grimms. The style is overly straightforward, and a bit lifeless. Would have preferred a bit more "edge", which you often find in direct-from-German translations (whether on purpose or not). Some of the post-tale details are interesting, but many are quite banal. ( )
  sometimeunderwater | Apr 28, 2018 |
Lovely re-tellings of some real favourites and some previously unknown.
The Golden Bird is the best! ( )
  Charlotte1162 | Nov 29, 2017 |
All the usual favorites are included in this collection of Fairytales. I particularly enjoyed Philip Pullman's notes on each story, offering interesting insights and enhancing the overall reading experience. ( )
  Laurochka | Aug 18, 2017 |
Loved this book - it brought me right back to my childhood and being read to. So much detail I had forgotten as I have been slowly incorporated into the masterplan that is Disney. So many favourites but one has to be 'The Boy Who Left Home to Find Out About the Shivers.'
There may be some grusomeness but I find it adds to the charm and moral of the stories.
The way Pullman has pulled the stories a little into todays world is subtle and works very well. ( )
  SineadB | Dec 7, 2015 |
This collection is issued as a "classic", so it is probably right to aim for a style free of the gothic extravagance of Angela Carter or the contemporary ethics of Jane Yolen or any other highly literary or individual interpretation, but for those who already know the stories this results in a collection which is very good, but not very interesting.

Pullman, PhilipRetellingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, JacobOriginalsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, WilhelmOriginalsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fed
Up so long and variously by
Our age's fancy narrative concoctions,
I yearned for the kind of unseasoned telling found
In legends, fairy tales, a tone licked clean
Over the centuries by mild old tongues,
Grandam to cub, serene, anonymous.
...So my narrative
Wanted to be limpid, unfragmented;
My characters, conventional stock figures
Afflicted to a minimal degree
With personality and past experience--
A witch, a hermit, innocent young lovers,
The kinds of being we recall from Grimm,
Jung, Verdi, and the commedia dell'arte.
So writes the American poet James Merrill at the opening of 'The Book of Ephraim', the first part of his extraordinary long poem The Changing Light at Sandover (1982). -- From the INTRODUCTION
In the olden days, when wishing still worked, there lived a king whose daughters were all beautiful; but the youngest daughter was so lovely that even the sun, who has seen many things, was struck with wonder every time he shone on her face. -- From "The Frog King, or Iron Heinrich," first tale in the book
Please distinguish between original publication of Philip Pullman's adapted stories, Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version (Viking; 2012), from its paperback re-issue as a Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition (Penguin; 2013). The paperback re-issue adds three stories that were omitted from Pullman's first collection, specifically: "The Twelve Huntsmen," "The Buffalo-Hide Boots," and "The Golden Key." Thank you.

The frog king, or Iron Heinrich --
The cat and the mouse set up house --
The boy who left home to find out about the shivers --
Faithful Johannes --
The twelve brothers --
Little brother and little sister --
Rapunzel --
The three little men in the woods --
Hansel and Gretel --
The three snake leaves --
The fisherman and his wife --
The brave little tailor --
Cinderella --
The riddle --
The mouse, the bird and the sausage --
Little Red Riding Hood --
The musicians of Bremen --
The singing bone --
The devil with the three golden hairs --
The girl with no hands --
The elves --
The golden bird --
Farmerkin --
Thousandfurs --
Jorinda and Joringel --
Six who made their way in the world --
Gambling Hans --
Hans-my-hedgehog --
The little shroud --
The stolen pennies --
The donkey cabbage --
One eye, two eyes and three eyes --
The shoes that were danced to pieces --
Iron Hans --
Mount Simeli --
Lazy Heinz --
Strong Hans --
The moon --
The goose girl at the spring --
The nixie of the millpond
Splendid retelling
Of fifty of Grimms' classic
And obscure folk tales.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067002497X, Hardcover)

#1 New York Times bestseller Philip Pullman retells the world’s best-loved fairy tales on their 200th anniversary

Two centuries ago, Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm published the first volume of Children’s and Household Tales. Now Philip Pullman, one of the most accomplished authors of our time, makes us fall in love all over again with the immortal tales of the Brothers Grimm.

Pullman retells his fifty favorites, from much-loved stories like “Cinderella” and “Rumpelstiltskin,” “Rapunzel” and “Hansel and Gretel” to lesser-known treasures like “The Three Snake Leaves," "Godfather Death" and "The Girl with No Hands." At  the end of each tale he offers a brief personal commentary, opening a window on the sources of the tales, the various forms they've taken over the centuries and their everlasting appeal.

Suffused with romance and villainy, danger and wit, the Grimms' fairy tales have inspired Pullman's unique creative vision—and his beguiling retellings will draw you back into a world that has long cast a spell on the Western imagination.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:47 -0400)

Two centuries ago, Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm published the first volume of Children's and Household Tales. Now Philip Pullman, one of the most accomplished authors of our time, makes us fall in love all over again with the immortal tales of the Brothers Grimm.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,670,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible