Revolution 19 by Gregg Rosenblum

Revolution 19 (edition 2013)

by Gregg Rosenblum

Member:tripsis
Title:Revolution 19
Authors:Gregg Rosenblum
Info:HarperTeen (2013), Hardcover, 272 pages
Rating:*

Revolution 19 by Gregg Rosenblum

Although the start was easy to get into, I found that the lack of world-building really dragged this book down and made it steadily more difficult to get into.

There is no explanation for anything that the characters did. Half of the people who helped the main characters didn't need to, as it would've put them and their families in grave danger. For what? These kids didn't do anything noteworthy. They aren't anything special.

I find it hard to believe that they weren't reported the moment they entered the diner at the start, and that everyone was having such a serious conversation at the table, surrounded by other customers. This is just one of many things that happened in this book that just doesn't make sense. It's like the author quickly thought of something on the fly and used it without considering whether it would actually work in real life if this kind of thing happened.

All in all, this book felt incredibly rushed. No time was taken to execute the plot in a slower manner to give the readers some back story. It's written in a way where you know there's going to be a sequel. You don't even have to check Goodreads to know.

If you're interested in this book, I sincerely implore you to pick it up from your local library, because unfortunately it is a waste of money. ( )
  Tarklovishki | Feb 18, 2016 |
As a fan of the original Terminator movies from the 80’s and 90’s the premise of this book sounded fantastic. This was a good story and I enjoyed the science fiction aspects and the dystopian feel to the book. Since the alternating point-of-view went between all three siblings it was sometimes hard to remember which character I was reading from. Also, the book seemed very short; I wouldn’t have minded a little more meat to the story. Each sibling was memorable by their own traits: Kevin is the oldest and the leader, Nick is the tech genius, and Cass is the athlete. There are some interesting characters living within the city that help drive the story forward as the siblings plan to break into the re-education center. Overall, it was a good read, but with so many new books coming out I’m not sure it had the appeal for me to be anxious to pick-up the sequel. Yet, I’m glad I read it and recommend it to those looking for a new science fiction series. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
had to return to the library -- to be finished at a later date, interesting so far, though
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
I started this with image a Terminator like story. Robots taking over, people living like basically captives, or on the run, I was expecting one heck of a thrill ride.
This starts out with a bang. Robots hunting people and killing them. Families were torn apart. The 3 siblings, Cass, Nick and Kevin have to work together so help save their parents that have been taken by the bots.
Kevin is the youngest brother, and is a fantastic tech-head. He was such a cute kid, and he proved himself to be quite valuable. I really enjoyed him. Cass is the only girl, and she is one tough girl and likable. The oldest brother Nick, was sort of a hot head, going into trouble with his eyes shut. But I will give him some credit, he got himself out it fairly well. Along the way the met a few kids close to their age in the city who I thought were great. Lexi and Farryn. There was a little spark of romance between Lexi and Nick as well as Farryn and Cass, but it was never really a big role, and that was okay with me.
The world building was interesting enough and the take on the robots was the one thing that kept me reading. The city where the people lived with the robots seemed like any other, people working, shopping and going about their business, just under the scrutiny of the robots. There were some things I expected to happen and they did, but there were also some things that took place that I didn’t see coming.
Overall this was a pretty good book even though it wasn’t the thrill ride that I was looking for. The ending definitely got my attention, especially the last few pages. With the new “person” that came into play, I will be picking up the second book to see where it leads. I say give this one a try, and if you are a fan of science fiction you will probably devour this. ( )
  jeneaw | Sep 30, 2013 |

Twenty years after robots designed to fight wars abandoned the battlefields and turned their weapons against humans, siblings Nick, Kevin, and Cass must risk everything when the wilderness community where they have spent their lives in hiding is discovered by the bots.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,909,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible