Revolution 19 by Gregg Rosenblum

Revolution 19 (edition 2013)

by Gregg Rosenblum

Member:tripsis
Title:Revolution 19
Authors:Gregg Rosenblum
Info:HarperTeen (2013), Hardcover, 272 pages
Rating:*

Revolution 19 by Gregg Rosenblum

I started this with image a Terminator like story. Robots taking over, people living like basically captives, or on the run, I was expecting one heck of a thrill ride.
This starts out with a bang. Robots hunting people and killing them. Families were torn apart. The 3 siblings, Cass, Nick and Kevin have to work together so help save their parents that have been taken by the bots.
Kevin is the youngest brother, and is a fantastic tech-head. He was such a cute kid, and he proved himself to be quite valuable. I really enjoyed him. Cass is the only girl, and she is one tough girl and likable. The oldest brother Nick, was sort of a hot head, going into trouble with his eyes shut. But I will give him some credit, he got himself out it fairly well. Along the way the met a few kids close to their age in the city who I thought were great. Lexi and Farryn. There was a little spark of romance between Lexi and Nick as well as Farryn and Cass, but it was never really a big role, and that was okay with me.
The world building was interesting enough and the take on the robots was the one thing that kept me reading. The city where the people lived with the robots seemed like any other, people working, shopping and going about their business, just under the scrutiny of the robots. There were some things I expected to happen and they did, but there were also some things that took place that I didn’t see coming.
Overall this was a pretty good book even though it wasn’t the thrill ride that I was looking for. The ending definitely got my attention, especially the last few pages. With the new “person” that came into play, I will be picking up the second book to see where it leads. I say give this one a try, and if you are a fan of science fiction you will probably devour this. ( )
  jeneaw | Sep 30, 2013 |
Coming soon For a shorter read, it does follow along an exciting struggle between robots and humans. This is definitely an older teen read as there are periods of violence and torture as well as the strong dystopian society, which typically means death to those who disobey which might be too graphic for younger readers... http://www.musingwithcrayolakym.com/3/post/2013/06/revolution-19.html ( )
  crayolakym | Jun 24, 2013 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: A group of kids try to rescue their parents from robots. Perfect for the big screen. Not so much for a novel.

Opening Sentence: Somewhere nearby, a dog barked and whined.

The Review:

After the vicious Robot Revolution, families around the country tried to escape the clutches of the ruthless robots. Two families reached the guarded gates, expecting to be killed on the spot for trying to escape, but one family and the second family’s kids are allowed to leave. Fast-forward about 15 years and both families are living in a village far from any robot society: hunting for food, gathering broken tech and farming the scorched land. That is until one mistaken piece of tech betrays their position. Now the kids from those families are on the run and end up trying to save their captured parents. This fast-paced action book would be great as a movie (hence authors are movie directors and writers) but as a novel it was poorly written and executed.

Is a robot revolution a great idea for a book? Heck yes. Is this book a good example of how it should be written? Heck no. There are aspects of movies that you can’t convey in books. The same goes vice versa. Unfortunately, the authors tried to incorporate aspects of movies into a book. For example: time in movies is different than time in a book. Where in movies it shows the action in real time, in books you must describe the event/action which takes longer to read than it does for the actual event to happen. In this book the authors skimmed over the details in order to make the actions fast paced, but after a while that gets old. Also, another key detail that made it apparent this book was made for the movies: they did not follow the rules of show don’t tell. Like at all. I know I’ve explained it in a previous review, but for those who don’t know: show don’t tell is a piece of advise that all writers should use. Instead of telling a reader “this character is mad” show the reader the character is mad by having him turn beat red, turn over a table, slam his fist onto a table, etc. Anyway, this book’s writing did not use this advice and thus the book was boring – not for lack of action – but for lack of good writing.

So now that the picking apart of the writing is done, let’s move on to the characters. Cliche. Cliche. Cliche. Kevin: the younger brother that always gets picked on but really is brilliant. Nick: the headstrong oldest brother with a hero complex. Cass: the girl who can’t really fight and is only there to persuade a guy to help them. Again these cliche characters might work in a movie, but this doesn’t work for a book. They need to be developed and grow throughout the book. It seemed to be the characters were stagnant the entire time.

Moving on to the plot – it wasn’t too shabby. The romance was cheesy and unnecessary, but still cute. There was action every other page. The actual development of the world was pretty good. Overall, a pretty interesting plot once it got going.

Really, I would not suggest this book to anyone unless they want to be bored out of their minds. The only reason I gave it two stars is because of the well-developed world. Otherwise, it’s not worth your time.

Notable Scene:

“Turn it off, Kevin! Now!”

“I tried to, but I can’t,” Kevin said. “It turned itself on, and I don’t know how to turn it off.”

Nick grabbed the chaff, threw it onto the ground, and began stomping on it. “Hey!” Kevin yelled, trying to push Nick away, but Nick held his brother off with a stiff arm and kept pounding on the chaff with his heel. The glass screen cracked, the casing broke into fragments, and the pulsing stopped.

Kevin, still held back b Nick’s grip on his shirt, began kicking at Nick’s shins. “That was mine! I found it!”

Nick, shaking with adrenaline and ager, threw Kevin down onto his bed, hard, bouncing him off the mattress and onto the floor. “You idiot, you may have just gotten us killed!”

FTC Advisory: HarperTeen provided me with a copy of Revolution 19. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jun 17, 2013 |
this book totally did not live up to it's hype. it had such a great premise, but the story just didn't pull through.
set in a dystopian future where robots have revolted against humans and taken over. pockets of freemen live in the wild in primitive villages reminiscent of the hunter/gatherer societies. robots have "seeded" the for rests with small tracker type robots (why I have no idea) to hunt out the primitive villages. people are captured and sent to be re-educated to be acclimated into the robots' new society. people in the robots' city have chips embedded in the back of their necks (like our pet microchips) to track citizens and keep them behaving well.
three kids (Kevin, Cass, and Nick) venture into the city to rescue their parents, who have been taken for re-education.
I just couldn't find this story engaging. the characters just weren't three dimensional- they felt flat to me. the story was contrived and not really well put together. sad, because it could have been so awesome. the robots weren't super convincing either. spheres that floated around keeping an eye on everyone. very lame sci-fi movie. ( )
  librarydanielle | Apr 1, 2013 |
Despite earlier reviews I read about this book, I liked it.

The basic storyline: Bots now control the cities and everyone in it. Citizens are micro-chipped and are trackable at all times. "Freeman's" still exist outside the cities in "Freeposts"...that is until the Bots either capture or kill them.

Cass, Nick, Kevin and their parents are living in one such Freepost until one day the Bots come. The children manage to escape, but their parents are captured. They are taken to the nearest city for re-education where they will learn to live in the bot controlled environment.

Cass and her brothers are determined to rescue their parents from the city which proves to be no easy task with "spherebots" patrolling the streets constantly, ready to call the "Petey's" at any sign of disturbance on suspicious behavior.

They formulate a plan with the help of Lexi, Amanda, Farryn and Doc (who they met upon entering the city) to find their parents and escape the city once more....

I found the plot very simple to follow and it moved along at a nice even pace. The ending left an opening for a sequel, but I wasn't thrilled with it.....The characters were all likable in their own way but wish a little more emphasis was placed on Cass. I felt she was slightly overlooked in the story as a whole.

Overall, I enjoyed the concept of the novel and would look forward to reading a sequel........

Shawna77 | Mar 31, 2013 |

Twenty years after robots designed to fight wars abandoned the battlefields and turned their weapons against humans, siblings Nick, Kevin, and Cass must risk everything when the wilderness community where they have spent their lives in hiding is discovered by the bots.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,929,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible