Racing in the Rain: My Life as a Dog by…

Racing in the Rain: My Life as a Dog (edition 2011)

by Garth Stein

Member:books103
Title:Racing in the Rain: My Life as a Dog
Authors:Garth Stein
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Paperback, 304 pages

Racing in the Rain: My Life as a Dog by Garth Stein

Although in the children's section in the library, this was not a children's book. I stopped reading it to my boys, because the content was ...for lack of a better word, 'too real'. The ease by which parent's rights could be taken away was shown clearly through this fiction. (Thus the 'too real' for my boys) But it presents an accurate view of society's view on father's rights. (Very concerning)

Stein provides a good example of a book written in one POV---from a dog's perspective.

The theme of fighting for what you treasure without quitting offered hope and inspiration.

The lessons from racing cars paralleled life's lessons adding a different perspective unknown to me.

I didn't finish reading it to my boys, but I had to finish reading it for myself. (and gave them a synopsis for closure)

A book of warning to fathers who don't see what society is doing to their rights. Hang in there and don't quit. Fathers are needed.
  Sonya.Contreras | May 21, 2017 |
I haven't met a person who didn't get teary while reading this book. ( )
  NekoMonster | Jul 1, 2016 |
Told from the dog's point of view, how he wished he could talk to help a father regain custody of his daughter. ( )
  lindamamak | May 14, 2015 |
Adult Reader Reaction: This is a well-told story. It is poignant, but also has some humorous moments. You don't have to be a dog lover to appreciate Racing in the Rain, but it is a help. Although this is listed as a book for a "middle grade" audience, there are several elements that may require adults to be engaged in the reading: Eve loses her battle with cancer, Zoe is separated from Denny because of a custody suit by her grandparents, and Enzo reflects on his life as he is dying. I would recommend this for high school students as a high interest / low readability book.

Pros: Any reader who has ever wondered what their pet sees or thinks will enjoy this dog's eye view of family life. This is a sweet story with a happy (but not totally predictable) ending.

Read our full review and add yours at The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Mar 25, 2015 |
Story from dog's point of view. His owner is Denny, who is a race car driver. A good portion of the story is the custody battle with the in-laws after his wife dies from brain cancer. It has a good ending. It's an OK story, just nothing to write home about. ( )
  hdzookeeper | Sep 11, 2013 |
Gestures are all that I have; sometimes they must be grand in nature. And while I occasionally cross the line into the world of the melodramatic, it is what I must do in order to communicate clearly and effectively. In order to make my point understood.
Please distinguish among Racing in the Rain: My Life as a Dog (2011), "a special adaptation for young people of the acclaimed New York Times bestselling adult novel The Art of Racing in the Rain"; The Art of Racing in the Rain (2008), for general audiences; and Enzo Races in the Rain! (2014), for pre-school to third grade readers. Thank you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062015761, Paperback)

Have you ever wondered what your dog is thinking?

Meet one funny dog—Enzo, the lovable mutt who tells this story. Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: most dogs love to chase cars, but Enzo longs to race them. He learns about racing and the world around him by watching TV and by listening to the words of his best friend, Denny, an up-and-coming race car driver, and his daughter, Zoë, his constant companion. Enzo finds that life is just like being on the racetrack—it isn't simply about going fast. And, applying the rules of racing to his world, Enzo takes on his family's challenges and emerges a hero. In the end, Enzo holds in his heart the dream that Denny will go on to be a racing champion with his daughter by his side. For theirs is an extraordinary friendship—one that reminds us all to celebrate the triumph of the human (and canine) spirit.

This is a special adaptation for young people of the acclaimed New York Times bestselling adult novel The Art of Racing in the Rain.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:09 -0400)

A dog decides that when he dies and returns to earth as a man, he will model his behavior after his beloved owner, a race car driver. Includes interview with author.

Garth Stein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Garth Stein chatted with LibraryThing members from May 17, 2010 to May 28, 2010. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,655,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible