Avengers Vs. X-Men by Brian M Bendis

Avengers Vs. X-Men (edition 2012)

by Brian M Bendis, Jason Aaron (Author), Ed Brubacker (Author), Matt Fraction (Author), Jonathan Hickman (Author)3 more, John Jnr Romita (Illustrator), Olivier Coipel (Illustrator), Adam Kubert (Illustrator)

Member:Lil_Shepherd
Title:Avengers Vs. X-Men
Authors:Brian M Bendis (Author)
Other authors:Jason Aaron (Author), Ed Brubacker (Author), Matt Fraction (Author), Jonathan Hickman (Author), John Jnr Romita (Illustrator)2 more, Olivier Coipel (Illustrator), Adam Kubert (Illustrator)
Info:Marvel - US (2012), Edition: Har/Psc Lt, Hardcover, 568 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:graphic novel, superhero, Avengers, comic book, x-men

Avengers vs. X-men by Brian Michael Bendis

What You Get: My sources tell me that this book is 568 pages. Comic book collections generally contain 4-10 issues, but this one has 22.5. BAM. There are thirteen for the main AvX storyline, along with six “VS” match issues (pitting various X-Men against various Avengers) and three “Infinite Comics” issues, which were created for digital. So that’s cool.

The Story: Let’s face facts, the whole reason behind this storyline is so that the writers/artists could depict what happens when, say, Magneto and Iron Man fight each other, and the fans can watch. I had a hard time believing that various characters would actually react in a certain way (or so strongly), especially in the first few issues. But the writers did the best they could in showing how stressed out everyone is from the years of Intense Story Arcs and past trauma from the Phoenix. I also appreciated how certain characters went bad; if they’re going to go bad, even for just one decision or for the entire series, I thought it was in-character how they went bad. That is, the characters’ pre-existing flaws were what was emphasized when they behaved in dastardly ways, here.

The rest of my review can be found at: http://bahnree.wordpress.com/2013/01/21/avengers-vs-x-men-phc-review/ ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |

Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
I expected this to be dumb fun, and it pretty much was — but about halfway through I found I was enjoying it more than I expected.

My issue with this: mainstream superhero comics are great at spectacle and terrible at emotional stakes. Lots of stuff happens, some of it is pretty cool, but no matter how hard the writers try, none of it really seems to matter to the characters. We're told why things are epic, but they never really feel that way.

That said, lots of nice pounding on each other. ( )
  scarequotes | Jan 23, 2016 |
AvsX was last years big Marvel comics event. The Phoenix Force is returning to Earth for Hope Summers. The Avengers want to protect Hope from the Phoenix, the X-Men welcome the Phoenix as they believe it will resurrect the mutant race. The Phoenix Force gets split among Cyclops, Emma Frost, Namor, and Majik and in the beginning it seems okay. They are helping the world, but then the Phoenix begins to corrupt them and things quickly get out of hand until the Avengers pull it together and save the Earth.

This is one of those no one wins events. The Earth survives and mutants are being reborn however so many people's lives are destroyed beyond belief, so many people die that it's difficult to imagine what will come after this. I was curious about where this was going to go and I'm pretty satisfied with it. I was happy to see that Scarlett and Hope were major characters and that neither of them went insane and destroyed the world and that they both saved each other. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

The Avengers and the X-Men - the two most popular super-hero teams in history - go to war! This landmark pop-culture event brings together Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Magneto and more in the story that changes them forever! And in AVX: Vs., experience the larger-than-life battles too big for any other comic to contain! Iron Man vs. Magneto! Spider-Man vs. Colossus! Captain America vs. Gambit! And more! Plus: For the first time ever in print, Marvel's groundbreaking Infinite Comics are collected, revealing key events through the eyes of Marvel's major players. It's Marvel's biggest event ever - but will the Avengers or the X-Men emerge triumphant? Collecting Avengers vs. X-Men 0-12, Point One (AVX story), AVX: VS 1-6, Avengers vs. X-Men: Infinite 1, 6, 10. Each collection includes a code for a free digital copy available exclusively through the Marvel Comics App!

"4 Stars (out of 4)" - CBR
"It's a rare thing for a much-hyped event book to get so much right" - Newsarama
"Epic." -Inside Pulse
"It's a superhero blockbuster" - Maxim.com

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:34 -0400)

"The world-destroying Phoenix Force is back -- and this time, the Avengers are intent on stopping it. Cyclops and his X-Men have other ideas. To Captain America, the Phoenix threatens doom. To Cyclops, it could mean slavation. Marvel's two greatest leaders wage war, with the Phoenix's chosen host -- Hope Summers -- caught in the middle. As the fate of a girl trained from birth to be a mutant savior hangs in the balance, how far are Captain America and Cyclops willing to go? The answer lies in a battle so big no one world -- no one series -- could contain it!" --Provided by publisher.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,261,848 books! | Top bar: Always visible