dismiss

Bryant & May and the Invisible Code

by Christopher Fowler

Series: Bryant and May (10)

Two small children are playing a game called 'Witch-Hunter'. They place a curse on a young woman taking lunch in a church courtyard and wait for her to die. An hour later she is found dead inside the church. Bryant and May must investigate.
    Nothing But the Night by John Blackburn (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    The Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler-Olsen (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both feature older detectives who have no respect for authority and head up units that get results by being unconventional.
    A Touch of Frost by R. D. Wingfield (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both feature older detectives who are somewhat rebellious of authority and like to do things their own way.

Written as a pair with Deathworld

Deathworld I admit it. Harry Harrison's bad style irritated me. For a while. Mainly it was these. The short sentences. If you can call them that. Sentences.

I did manage after some encouragement from the ranks to get over that and I'm glad I did. It's a good bad-book. The Wildside edition I read was horribly proofread, but not nearly as badly as the academic books I've been reading lately. Nothing, at any rate, that distracted me from a punchy story, good characterisation as sci fi goes and a really interesting idea for world in which the story takes place.

As it happens I next picked up The Invisible Code by Christopher Fowler. I thought this was going to be another good bad-book for a few pages, but it doesn't take long to discover it's a bad bad-book.

bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
I enjoy the Bryant & May books; they are such fun. I can see them as a television series. The brilliant , old detective employs solves the crimes in strange ways. ( )
  scot2 | Dec 16, 2018 |
I read this book in the series first, and I enjoyed it so much that I bought the rest of the series- I just finished the first, and am rapidly reading the second. This series is full of mystery, hilarity and cranky British detectives...
1 vote ZeStY10708 | May 27, 2016 |

Christopher Fowlerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Anastassatos, MariettaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Coleman, SarahCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Money can't buy friends, but it can get you a better class of enemy.
-- Spike Milligan
'It started with me, it ends with me.'
-- Unnamed teenager, when asked about the history of London
For Peter Chapman
(US edition) For Jennifer Siegel, smart cookie, good egg, hot tamale
There was a witch around here somewhere.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,067,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible