Bryant and May and the Invisible Code by…

Bryant and May and the Invisible Code (edition 2012)

by Christopher Fowler (Author)

Member:christiguc
Title:Bryant and May and the Invisible Code
Authors:Christopher Fowler (Author)
Info:London: Doubleday, 2012.
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, male author, british, england, london, crime, male detective, police procedural, bryant and may, peculiar crimes unit, supernatural, doubleday, random house, series-10th, bookshelf12, gift, birthday gift, read2012, TIOLI

Bryant & May and the Invisible Code by Christopher Fowler

Nothing But The Night by John Blackburn (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    Mercy / The Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler-Olsen (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both feature older detectives who have no respect for authority and head up units that get results by being unconventional.
    A Touch of Frost by R. D. Wingfield (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both feature older detectives who are somewhat rebellious of authority and like to do things their own way.

Bryant and May and amazed when Oskar Kasavian,their usually antagonistic boss asks them to investigate his wife.She is acting strangely and her behaviour is causing concern among the wives of his colleagues.
When several deaths occur which seem to be linked to Mrs Kasavian,the members of the Peculiar Crimes Unit are brought in.
As always,this is a well thought-out book which is unusual enough to be described as unique in crime fiction. ( )
  devenish | Jun 24, 2014 |
From the syntax, to the humor, and the subject matter, this is thoroughly British, not one of the washed out versions we are used to seeing portrayed by American television or books. Detectives Arthur Bryant and John May work for the Peculiar Crimes Unit. They get involved in cases that are, how shall we say, out of the ordinary. This is rather fitting for Detective Bryant, as he is a bit out of the ordinary himself. Unlike his partner May, Bryant is older, pushing the boundaries of retirement. He is subject to memory lapses and gastric eruptions. His thought processes are a mystery to most of his colleagues, but his successes in solving the strangest cases are legendary. He will need all of this as his long time nemesis, Oskar Kasavian, head of Home Office Security, has called him in on a private investigation. Kasavian's trophy wife, Sabira, is having manic episodes, lashing out at the wives of her husband's colleagues. She believes she is being stocked and that her life is in danger. . Detective Bryant is astounded that Kasavian would even consider asking the Peculiar Crimes Unit to help him, but Kasavian's job as head of Home Office Security is in the balance. Bryant also suspects there may be a connection with the mysterious death of a young woman in a local church. There are no clues to the cause of her death, but the woman was acting strangely just prior to collapsing in the church, a perfect case for the Peculiar Crimes Unit. Are the two cases connected? Detective Bryant is sure to find out. The book is good fun with some winning characters. Book provided for review by Bantam Books. ( )
  Ronrose1 | Feb 6, 2014 |
The Peculiar Crimes Unit is tasked with a most unusual case: their boss, Oskar Kasavian, who has made no secret of his dislike of the unit, is entrusting them with finding out what is wrong with his wife. Sabira has been acting erratically, and with her talk of an evil presence, it sounds like something right up the alley of Bryant and May and the gang. Meanwhile, the unit is also investigating the mysterious death of a young woman in St Bride's Church. If there's a connection to the Home Office mystery, they'd all better watch their steps…

Overall this was a good PCU book. The pace was a bit slow at first, or I just took a while to get into it, but it picked up halfway through. This time around I was really more involved in the details of the city of London, as furnished by Bryant (and at one point, either Dan or Colin, whose detail-laden commentary I didn't buy -- only Bryant can get away with monologues like that). It's not a book I'd suggest starting out with, but if you're already familiar with the gang, it's a pleasant diversion. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jan 27, 2014 |
I have come to love this series and always enjoy reading them. This one in particular kept me guessing and surprised, right until the very end! The character of Arthur Bryant is wonderful...so real and fully formed that I can hear his voice in my head when he refers to his boss Raymond Land as "Raymondo" and approaches their cases with his insatiably curiousity (something I can certainly relate to!). It's easy to picture him in his messy office - almost like a cabinet of curiosities full of weird and unusual artifacts asm well as books on a variety of subject matter, none of which would normally seem pertinent in any way to a police detective! And then there's his partner May - sauve and sophisticated, the Yin to Bryant's Yang, or as Bryant puts it "the other half of my brain."! Their unconventional methods in solving their cases, and the bits of historical trivia scattered throughout is always fascinating. I hope Christopher Fowler continues to write many more adventures featuring the wonderfully quirky Peculiar Crimes Unit ( )
  LongDogMom | Jan 27, 2014 |
I haven't read previous novels from this series - and probably never will. I found plot somewhat convoluted and logic used to resolve the crime not very convincing. On the plus side I loved the character of Arthur Bryant, main investigator with all typical and wonderful British humor. The multiple historical references were also fascinating. I wish it would have a better plot. ( )
  everfresh1 | Jan 17, 2014 |

Christopher Fowlerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anastassatos, MariettaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Coleman, SarahCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Money can't buy friends, but it can get you a better class of enemy.
-- Spike Milligan
'It started with me, it ends with me.'
-- Unnamed teenager, when asked about the history of London
For Peter Chapman
(US edition) For Jennifer Siegel, smart cookie, good egg, hot tamale
There was a witch around here somewhere.

Two of London's sharpest minds within the Peculiar Crimes Unit are faced with one of the most bizarre cases of their careers as an ill-timed death, a powerful curse, a crazy dowager, and a dead photographer lead them into a world of madness, codes, and the secret of London's strangest relic.… (more)

9 wanted2 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,500,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible