Hell's Best Kept Secret by Ray Comfort

Hell's Best Kept Secret

by Ray Comfort

195560,388 (3.95)2

This book makes four points: 1) the point of the Law is to prove to us our defect, 2) that means that the Law holds a special place in helping us realize our need for Christ's redemption, 3) false conversions can frequently be attributed to one not fully understanding that he/she needs salvation or that he/she is unable to accomplish or contribute anything to that salvation, and 4) thus the principle of the Law (that one is defective and unable to do anything about it) is a necessary prerequisite to the Gospel (that God has provided in Christ salvation in its entirety which is conferred on the basis of trust in Him).Great points. Timeless truth. But, unlike in past years, I can no longer get wholeheartedly behind Ray's evangelism methods. I don't think they're "bad" by any means. And, with some people, they are quite effective. I myself used a form of the "Way of the Master" method with hundreds of people over the course of two or three years. But I now have some reservations as to the claim or spirit of some of its proponents that this approach is universally applicable. I am also disappointed in the de-emphasis on the building of relationships, focusing instead entirely on vying for the "quick sale." I think, in the honest effort to produce balance, the result has been to tilt practical Christianity in the way of the agenda, performance orientation, and the counting of numbers.If you want a book to introduce you to some almost lost thought on the use of the Law in the New Covenant, then this is a good book. And worth the purchase, too, but I don't know that I would suggest those of Ray's books which have more to do with evangelism. If you choose to read this, then I heartily suggest you spend a lot of time in Galatians, where you will find out some other things about the Law that might even out your new book a little.Or, I might altogether suggest an alternative (simply and honestly, not in a sarcastic kind of way): read Paul's works in a translation you understand well. ( )
  davegregg | May 3, 2011 |
This is one of the absolute best messages I have ever heard! Simple, straight-forward and extremely relevant to our society today. I've gone back to this message many times for a "recharge". You'll say "Why didn't I already know this" if you've been a Christian for some time. ( )
  Neeva_Candida | Jul 14, 2008 |
An excellent book on the importance of the law in evangelism! ( )
2 vote Samer | Aug 24, 2007 |
There are few other books that would get a 5 star rating that have been written in our time but this is a crucial teaching on the use of the law when witnessing, the importance of evangelism and the reality of ever increasing false professions all through this world. A must read for any Christian. ( )
  aputney | Jan 11, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0883682060, Paperback)

Evangelical success is at an all–time low. Why are so many unbelievers turning away from the message of the gospel? Doesn't the Bible tell us how to bring sinners to true repentance? Using lively anecdotes from his own experiences, evangelist Ray Comfort presents the key that unlocks the door of men's souls. If you're experiencing evangelical frustration over lost souls, unrepentant sinners, and backslidden "believers," then look no further. This radical approach could be the missing dimension needed to win our generation to Christ. Discover the secret to leading others to genuine repentance, and make each moment of your life count for the kingdom of God!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:14 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible