The One I Left Behind by Jennifer McMahon

The One I Left Behind (edition 2013)

by Jennifer McMahon

Member:caitemaire
Title:The One I Left Behind
Authors:Jennifer McMahon
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2013), Edition: Original, Kindle Edition, 432 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:review copy, random, fiction

The One I Left Behind by Jennifer McMahon

Recently added byprivate library, greatbookescapes, Lili.Dombeck, lizzinikkii, Paqueo, Hyzie

I so wanted to love this book, I truly enjoyed other books by McMahon but this one just kind of fell flat. I think a lot was because I really didn’t like Reggie or the way she treated people, yes I know her mother disappeared at a very formative age for her, but she didn’t ever seem to be able to tell when people were being nice or really trying to help her out. And the way she treated her aunt just made me mad.

There was just too many coincidences and the different timelines did get a little confusing at times, especially once Tara was back in the picture because we had just seen her as this very odd teenager and now we are supposed buy her as a caring nurse without any story telling us how she got there it was just a tough sell.

We also never really got to hear Vera’s side of where she had been all those years and then the reveal of who Neptune was it just fell flat, it was rushed and was just odd.

Julia Whelan did a great job at the narration but the book itself was just meh for me.

2 ½ Stars ( )
  susiesharp | Oct 15, 2014 |
This was my first Jennifer McMahon book, and I wonder how I've missed her other books. What a powerful writer! Her characters are well-developed, but hold some secrets. Her style, switching from 1985 to 2010, with her principal at ages 13 and 38, is an unusual structure yet lets the reader see the young and mature(?) Reggie display how her childhood fears affect her stunted adulthood. The suspense is beautiful: it is not driven by the boogie-man Neptune, but rather by the feelings of the three main characters, which is a luscious literary technique which makes this read so elegant.

I am on my way to reading more of Ms. McMahon's books. This one stands out as my best read in a long, long while.
  Patbilly | Apr 29, 2014 |

Patbilly | Apr 29, 2014 |
The summer of 1985 changes 13 year old Reggie 's life forever. A serial killer nicknamed Neptune abducts women, cutS off their hands, and later poses his victims in the nude in a local area. Reggie's mom's hand was found but it's been 25 years and there is still no sign of her until Reggie gets a call from her aunt that Reggie's mom has been found and is dying of cancer. ( )
  creighley | Apr 24, 2014 |
Intertaining enough and at least for 1/3 of the way through I wasn't sure who the bad guy was which is something for me. ( )
  KarenHerndon | Oct 11, 2013 |

Reggie, a successful architect who left her hometown and the horrific memories of a long ago summer behind, gets a call revealing that her mother has been found alive--a call that forces Reggie to confront the ghosts of her past and find the serial killer known as Neptune before he kills again.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The One I Left Behind by Jennifer McMahon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible