Talking to the Dead: A Novel by Harry…

Talking to the Dead: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Harry Bingham

2382048,487 (3.75)22
Member:becker
Title:Talking to the Dead: A Novel
Authors:Harry Bingham
Info:Delacorte Press (2012), Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:fiction, mystery, Wales, detectives, murder, prostitution

Talking to the Dead by Harry Bingham

English (18)  Dutch (2)  English (20)
This is a really gripping, really moving book -- a fine novel as well as a terrific thriller. The central character, Detective Constable Fiona Griffiths, is a new recruit to the Cardiff police department, and there is something a little odd about Fiona. It's not that she's stupid (she is in fact very bright) and it's not that she doesn't work like a demon (when it suits her), it's just -- odd. Anyway, Fiona gets caught up in the investigation of the murder of a prostitute and the woman's six-year old daughter, which spirals into an enquiry involving big money, dirty cops, and really dirty -- and dangerous -- dealings. The story won't let go, and neither will the parallel plot, which tells us more and more about Fiona. I almost never give thrillers five stars, but this one merits it. The characters are compelling -- so compelling that you end up caring a lot about them. The writing is vivid and exciting. And the story is terrific. Read it an enjoy: I'm off to start number two ( )
  annbury | Jul 2, 2016 |
I did like this book but found that I could easily put it down between readings. Fiona Griffiths is a rookie detective constable and works and thinks very differently from her co-workers. Her great attention to detail makes her either an excellent detective or not so good, depending on what her boss expects of her. The story starts with the murder of a prostitute and her six year old daughter. It gets more intense when the debit card of a very rich man (now dead) is found in the house where they died. Fiona also has 2 years missing from her work history that creates the background of this main character. This makes for another very interesting mystery running along side the main story. ( )
  Dianekeenoy | May 2, 2016 |
Detective Fiona Griffiths has trauma in her past and inner demons she battles with on a daily basis. Her social ineptness combined with her maverick nature provides much opportunity for her to get herself into sticky situations. This book is the story of Fiona's first murder case. She is drawn in by the murders of Janet, a part-time prostitute, and her six year old daughter April. Fiona is convinced that Janet and April were in hiding at the time they died, but what were they hiding from? It would be a more mundane case except a bank card bearing the name of a wealthy businessman is found with the body. Unfortunately, that man is also dead.

We know from the very beginning that there is something rather odd about Fiona Griffiths. More than anything she wants to be accepted in "Planet Normal". Obviously there is a gimmick to this book. Fiona has something psychologically off kilter, and we don't learn what it is for quite a while. I thought the author did a great job building up the tension until it's revealed.

The book is well written and Fiona is very interesting. I enjoyed spending some time in Wales too. I would definitely give the next book in the series a try. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
I wasn't sure at first if I could relate to the strange character of Fiona Griffiths or care about solving the mystery of the murders. However, I stuck with it and soon began to care very much as I got to know Fiona and it became evident how much she cared and acted to make a difference in the lives of women on the fringes of society and trapped in a life they didn't necessarily choose. It was interesting to learn about the very strange Cotard's syndrome, and I'm very much looking forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  Scrabblenut | Jun 2, 2015 |
3 1/2 stars because it made me laugh, not sure if it came across as witty because i was listening to it (would it have struck me the same way if I was reading the words?) but it did make me chuckle more than a few times. Loved hearing the Welsh names pronounced as well, goodness knows I can't pronounce them when I see them in print. ( )
  Mooose | May 16, 2015 |

Rookie cop Fiona Griffiths, on the cusp of breaking her first big case, uncovers a dire conspiracy that takes her into a dark underworld that threatens her with her own personal demons.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,720,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible