Take This Regret by A. L. Jackson

Take This Regret (edition 2012)

by A. L. Jackson

Info:Sapphire Star Publishing (2012), Paperback, 296 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2012

Take This Regret by A. L. Jackson

Out of the two books I have read by this author, Take This Regret is my favourite, although I enjoyed both of them. It is written from both main characters perspectives which gives you a rounded flow of the story as it unfolds with Christian trying to make amends for his past mistakes and Elizabeth trying to let go of all the hurt and pain their parting caused her. ( )
  Daydreambooks | Jul 20, 2013 |
Ya know, I never thought I would read a book about a deadbeat dad and actually sympathize with them, or hope for redemption but I was wrong. This book broke my heart and made me believe in love and redemption. There were so many times I cried during this book because you felt the anguish, regret, and longing. A.L. Jackson knows how to make something that is ugly into something filled with hope and beauty. I cannot wait to read more of her books ( )
  Tinkerbell4726 | Nov 2, 2012 |
College sweethearts ... a shared dream and goal to become attorneys ... an unplanned pregnancy ... a regrettable choice made ... can a regrettable decision made years ago turn into a second chance?

Elizabeth Ayers and Christian Davison met four years ago as freshman at Columbia University. Paired together in a study group, their relationship grew from a friendship to a couple who were inseparable. In the fall of their senior year at Columbia, they had a shared dream and plan to attend law school and become attorneys. Their world would be turned upside down when Elizabeth tells Christian that she is pregnant. Harsh words, anger, an ultimatum and a betrayal tears their love apart and they go their separate ways.

Christian thinks that having a baby at this point in their life will ruin everything that they have worked and planned for. Elizabeth believes that they can work it out, she loves the life that is growing inside her, and her choice is unwavering, she will not get an abortion. Christian harshly voices an ultimatum: him or the baby, not both. Heartbroken and feeling betrayed, Elizabeth accepts his ultimatum and leaves college to have her baby.

Christian has been haunted by the choices he made five years ago, and is plagued with regret. After spending the last two years as an attorney in the Public Defenders office in NYC, he has accepted the position to head up his father's law firm's new branch office in San Diego, California. Over the years he has wondered about Elizabeth and his child that he never got to know.

Elizabeth moved back home to San Diego to be closer to her family when her daughter Lizzie was five months old. Now settled and happy with the life she shares with her beloved little girl, it took her two years of night school to finish her last year of college, and she has given up her dream of being an attorney for a job as a bank teller. She still thinks about Christian, but the hurt and bitterness has made it impossible for her to move on and learn to love again.

A chance meeting in a store ... a father and daughter ... Christian knows this little girl is his daughter and he desperately wants to fill the position of father that he so selfishly and callously threw away five years ago.

A father's regret and determination to make amends ... a mother's bitterness for an unforgivable betrayal ... a little girl that they both want to love ... can the shared love for their little girl provide a second chance at love and happiness?

Take This Regret is a poignantly beautiful story of choices, regrets and second chances that will pull at your heartstrings. The author weaves a powerful story full of so many emotions, it immediately draws the reader in and engages them to follow Elizabeth and Christian's journey. The story begins in the third person narration of Elizabeth and Christian's relationship in college. Once their relationship is established, the author masterfully weaves the rest of the story in the first person narrative alternating between Christian and Elizabeth's perspectives. Christian and Elizabeth's journey toward rediscovering each other and seeking redemption and a second chance is filled with so much angst and heart wrenching emotions, your heart will palpitate and feel compassion for the position that they find themselves in.

The author creates a cast of characters that are simply amazing! They are realistic, complex, down-to-earth people with flaws that are easy to relate to. Their interactions, dialogue and emotions are dramatic, the individual perspectives are told in a clever and realistic way that the reader can relate to both Elizabeth and Christian. My emotions ran the gamut as my opinion towards both Elizabeth and Christian swayed back and forth. I could easily see myself in both of their positions, the author descriptions of their emotions and perspectives is simply phenomenal. The supporting cast of characters are wonderful, they lend their love and support for Christian and Elizabeth in a way that only family and friends can provide. I absolutely loved the support that Matthew and Natalie provide to Elizabeth, while Christian's mother Claire provided the ultimate in motherly advice and support for her son. I would be remiss if I didn't mention my favorite character, little Lizzie. This little girl simply won my heart over with her preciousness.

Take This Regret is an amazingly powerful and emotionally intense story that will simply move you. Once again author A.L. Jackson has pulled out all the stops and has weaved an unforgettable story that will resonate with the reader long after the last word has been read.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event hosted by Reading Addiction Blog Tours.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/08/take-this-regret-by-al-jackson... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Aug 3, 2012 |
To my family, Chad, Devyn, Eli, and Braydon. And to my sweet inspiration, Parker Elizabeth
Christian let go.

Elizabeth and Christian are a young couple, bound to finish law school, and are in love. That is until Elizabeth becomes pregnant and Christian no longer wants anything to do with her. Heart-broken, Elizabeth drops out of school and starts to raises her daughter Lizzie. Five years pass and Christian can only think about the family he turned his back on. After becoming an established attorney, Christian moves from New York and runs into his daughter only to be captured by her. His goal is to win his family back.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible